Chapter 6

Volume Up

I have no idea where this chapter came from... This is completely different than the one I planned... But, once I got started, it just came rolling out... So.. enjoy!


It was time, time for them to show their worth. It was the week of the showcase, where each of them would perform and the winners would be crowned. The showcase was scheduled for two nights. The first would be each girl’s so to show off their own unique talent. The second was for the group performances, to prove they were capable of melding with a group and working together. They had rehearsals each day, several hours devoted to each performance they would give in just a few days’ time.

“Okay, girls, again! This is it! This is your chance. If you do well, your opportunities are endless,” the singing coach raved as she moved again to the stereo.

Tiffany sighed, yawning shortly after Jessica as they moved into formation.

Hyoyeon stood off to the side with Yoona and Yuri for a few seconds, more than likely discussing part of the choreography. Sooyoung was helping Seohyun and and Sunny behind the American, murmuring softly before they nodded and got back into their spots. Tiffany smiled, happy to see everyone was still working together. Well, all except Hyuna. Jiyoon had joined them on a few occasions once the redhead went to bed. She was actually very nice and grounded, unlike her best friend.

Speaking of which, the redhead seemed to be whispered to the younger girl, a smirk evident. That look hadn’t come off her face since they started the dancing segment that morning.  She turned around, eyebrow raised in mock concern. “Hey Tiffany, you look a little down. Your favorite singer not visit you this morning?”

Stephanie gave her a confused look. “Sorry?”

“You heard me. I know how you made it this far. Nothing like calling in favors with your girlfriend, huh?”

“Excuse me?” the other blurted out, a bit flabbergasted that she would make such a statement, especially during rehearsal.

“Don’t even hide it, Hwang Miyoung. I see how you look at her, and she at you. It’s pretty obvious what’s going on.”

“You know, that’s really funny, especially coming from you, Hyuna. I could say the same about you and the choreographer,” Hyoyeon retorted feistily, stepping to her friend’s side.

The redhead scoffed loudly, taking a step towards them.

“Don’t even think about it, Hyuna,” Yuri added, her and Yoona moving over as well, as did the rest of the group.

“I’d be a bit careful with what you say,” Jessica joined icily, arms crossed as her harsh glare remained on the girl.

“After all, we do have you a bit outnumbered and out talented,” Sooyoung threw in, hands on her hips.

Jiyoon gave the group an apologetic look, grabbing the redhead and spinning her around as she muttered quickly into her ear.

“Out talented, Soo? Really?” Hyoyeon asked, spinning to look at her friend with an incredulous look.

“It’s a word… Right, Seohyun?” Sooyoung turned hopefully to their maknae, her face clearly saying ‘help me out, Seo.’

“It’s not one you hear used often,” the youngest replied, answering in a covert manner.

The girls laughed softly, shaking their heads as they turned back to their task at hand.

“You okay, Steph?” Sunny asked quietly from her shoulder, eyes wide with concern.

“Yeah, it’s fine… It just… caught me off-guard, I guess…”

“She won’t get away with this. I can promise you that.”

“What do you mean?”

“Don’t worry about it,” she responded, turning on her heel and returning to her place in the dancing formation.

Tiffany shot her a look, a bit confused. She spun back around, dancing on cue with the rest of the girls as they continued their practice.

‘What could she possibly mean? And she at you? There’s no way Taeyeon would look like that at anyone her, much less me…’


At lunch, all the girls huddled around Tiffany protectively, keeping her attention from wandering as they continuously pulled her into the conversation.

“Hey, where’s Sunny? She was just here a minute ago…”

“She has a habit of doing that,” Miyoung quipped quietly, eyes scanning the mass in the hall worriedly.

“So, are you guys ready for tonight’s dress fittings? It’s going to be so much fun!” Yoona interrupted, hands clapping together in happiness.

“I can’t wait to see what they have picked out for all of us,” Yuri said right after, high-fiving her roommate.

“I hope they’re pretty. I’ve seen some pretty ghastly outfits,” Jessica added in, taking a sip of her water as she moved over for her taller friend to slide in with her overladen tray of food.

“My goodness, Sooyoung, I think you have enough to feed an army man!” Hyoyeon pointed out, laughing as she took a bite of her own meal.

“Hey, I’m hungry! Dancing always works up my appetite.”

“We know,” Seohyun murmured softly, a smile evident. This prompted the whole group to laugh, Sooyoung shooting a look at the youngest.

“Ouch, Seohyun! That hurts!”

“Not as much as your face hurts us!” Yoona retorted, ducking as a piece of bread went flying at her head.

“Whoa there, you best be careful with that!”

“Oh! Hey Taeyeon! Long time no see!”

The singer just gave a smile, handing the food back to its owner, who promptly devoured it. She gave a soft chuckle, bowing. “That it has been. I’ve been helping to plan out the showcase. I’m really excited to see what you guys have been practicing.”

“Are you going to be there for the fittings later?” Sunny asked, prompting everyone to turn to the shorty with wide eyes. “What? I was in the bathroom.”

Taeyeon giggled quietly at the group’s reaction, nodding in response to the girl’s question. “Yes. I’ll be MCing the event, so I have to look the part. I’m sorry, but I must be going. I have a few more phone calls to make before the fitting. I’ll see you all then.” She gave her bow and disappeared out the doors.

“Well, the outfits must be good, if she’s picking them out,” Jessica mumbled, a thoughtful look on her face.

“That’s true,” Tiffany agreed, eyes turning back to her food in front of her as she gave a silent sigh. “I’m going to head down to the practice room. I’m not very hungry. I’ll see you guys down there.” She got up, leaving her friends, who gave her a sad look. Once she left, Yuri turned to Sunny, eyebrow raised. “What was that?”

“What?”

“The disappearing act.”

“It’s nothing.”

“Mhm…. Sure, it is,” Hyoyeon murmured, arms crossed as she leaned forward. “Spill.”

Sunny sighed in resignation, hand brushing her bangs from her face. “I went to talk to someone about Hyuna. We don’t need any more stress, much less from her. My uncle intends on having a talk with her before the show.”

“Your uncle?”

“What?”

“You said your uncle. Who’s your uncle?” Sooyoung pried, head tilted and food forgotten on her tray.

“I didn’t-”

“You did,” Yoona backed her up, curiosity obvious in her large doe-like eyes.

Sunny’s mouth opened, then promptly shut. “I… I can’t tell you.”

“Sun, we’re not going to judge you, if that’s what you’re worried about,” Yuri whispered, the rest of the group nodding in agreement.

“It’s not that…”

“Then, what is it?” Jessica asked, flicking her hair absently as she looked at the shorter girl beside her.

She buried her small face in her hands, grumbling under her breath. “Fine.” She sat back up, tongue in her cheek in slight irritation before she mumbled, “My uncle is Lee SooMan.”

“What?”

“No way!”

“You guys can’t tell anybody,” she said firmly, eyes moving to each of the girls. “I don’t want people thinking I’m only here because of him.

“Sunny, we’ve got your back.”

“Besides, you’ve earned your right to be here, same as the rest of us,” Sooyoung enforced, smiling as she nudged the shorty’s shoulder.

“Soo’s right. We won’t tell anyone.”

“Guys, we’ve got five minutes! Let’s go!” The girls scrambled out of their seats, hurrying down to their rehearsal space as quick as they could.


“Tiffany? What are you doing in here by yourself?”

The said girl turned her head to look at the newcomer from her seat on the floor, arms wrapped around her legs. “I wasn’t hungry. So, I thought I’d come down here to think.”

“It’s a good place for that,” Taeyeon mused softly, taking a seat next to her. She looked the girl over, concern hidden in her eyes. “What’s wrong? Is something bothering you?”

“It’s nothing, Taeyeon, really. I appreciate the concern, but…”

“Let me guess. It’s Hyuna, isn’t it? Can I ask what she said this time?”

“I-it’s nothing…”

“Miyoung.”

Tiffany sighed, a sad smile gracing the girl’s lips. “You aren’t going to let it go, are you?”

“No. I know it’s not my place, but I do consider you and the rest of the girls my friends. I do want to get to know you.”

Stephanie rolled her eyes as Hyuna’s words rang in her head. “That’s just it.”

“What is?”

“Hyuna. She thinks something is going on between us. I have no idea where it came from. I mean, you’re Taeyeon, hit singing sensation. I’m just… me. A little nobody from America trying to make her way towards her dream of being a singer. There’s no way you could like me like that, so I just… I don’t know why she said that.”

A flash of hurt flickered through the onyx eyes, unbeknownst to the girl beside her, who was too busy staring at her own feet. Taeyeon swallowed silently, thinking over her next words carefully. “Stephanie, Hyuna is just trying to shake you up. She knows how good you are, and she just wants to see you get worked up over nothing. Just… take a breath, regain your focus. You could win this thing. You just need to stay sharp. I know you’ll do well if you do that.”

“Thanks, Taeyeon,” she whispered, smiling as she looked up at her. “I really needed to hear that.”

The elder gave her a soft smile in return, although her heart really wasn’t in it. “I’m glad I could help. I’ll see you later, okay?” She stood when the other nodded, leaving the room and heading down the hall. Her face fell as she walked away, heart aching a bit. She shook her head, berating herself. ‘She’s not here for you, Taeyeon. She’s here to win. She needs to stay focused, and you know that. Just leave her be. These feelings probably aren’t more than a little crush any way…’ She glanced up when she heard feet on the stairs, head tilting at the sight of the other seven girls speeding down the hall. She gave a slight wave, chuckling as they ran into their rehearsal space. She shook her head again, heading into the elevator with a soft sigh as she stared at her reflection in the metal panes. ‘Look at you, Taeyeon. You’re not right for someone like that. Better to just get used to it now.’ A single tear slid free and down the soft porclein skin, dropping silently onto the carpet flooring. She used her sleeve to wipe the evidence of the emotions away, face setting into a mask of calm and happiness as she emerged out into the lobby. ‘She didn’t like you to begin with. So, no waste crying over her. Time to focus on the task at hand.’ She waved to one of the rookies, stepping out onto the street with a deep breath. A more peaceful smile crossed her sad features as she melded into the crowd, disappearing without a word.