Chapter 5

Volume Up

To the trainees, it seemed like only days since they were first brought to the dorms. In reality, it had been several weeks since the entire process had begun. They remaining girls had fallen into a routine, singing in the mornings, dancing in the afternoons. Evenings were individual study and practice. Ever since the ten finalists were chosen, the competition between them had become very apparent. Most of the groups had seemed to had broken apart before the ten were announched, each girl fending for herself. The group of eight, on the other hand, had only become stronger. They cheered for themselves, but also for each other. They genuinely wanted to see each other succeed, a different mentality then what the rest of the trainees had. Now, with only ten left, the eight made up most of talent, earning a bit more heat from some of the other girls before they left Seoul to return home.

Taeyeon was giddy with the news she was carrying, walking quickly down the company halls in anticipation. She peeked into the practice room, eyes twinkling with joy as she watched the girls for a few moments. The dance instructor noticed the singer and halted the rehearsal, opening the door completely. “Taeyeon? What a surprise. Can we help you?”

“I have a message for the trainees.” She slipped the elder and bowed , straightening up quickly. “Tomorrow’s rehearsals have been cancelled. We’ll be taking a trip, instead. It’s a treat for all of your hard work. With the finals approaching, I know how much stress you all must be under. That being said, we’re going to have tomorrow.” She gave them a wide smile, bowing again as she hurried out before anyone could inquire further.

“Fun?” Hyoyeon muttered, hands resting on her hips as the girls took a break after the interruption.

“I can’t wait!” Yoona added, clapping her hands with a wide smile.

“Me either,” Yuri agreed, stretching out her legs from her spot on the floor.

“I wonder what it’ll be this time?” Tiffany muttered, eyes thoughtfully.

“Either way, I hope we get to sleep in a little,” Jessica murmured,  interrupted by a yawn.

The group laughed, shaking their heads.

“Okay girls, back into formation. Let’s run through this again!” A collective groan made the instructor laugh, walking back over to the stereo.


The girls’ chatter buzzed throughout the lobby as they waited, each fresh-faced and excited for their trip. The eight were seated together, the other two talking quietly across the large room from them. Hyuna would glance over occasionally in disdain, flicking her auburn hair over her shoulder out of frustration. Her only remaining “friend,” Jeon Jiyoon, rolled her eyes at the redhead, leaning back in her seat as the other talked hurriedly.

Seohyun smiled softly, giggling at something  Sooyoung had said, the rest smiling.

Taeyeon emerged from the elevator, hair flying as she ran out the door, earning her a somewhat confused look from the trainees. She re-entered a few moments later, a little out of breath as she gestured them to her. “The bus is here to take us. I’ll be taking you all, so I’m in charge of making sure you all stay safe. I have all of your numbers, so expect a call now and again, okay? Let’s go!” She led the way out to the vehicle, climbing on last and directing the driver to their destination.

“Where do you think we’re going?” Seohyun asked quietly, seating herself beside the maknae as the bus started to move away from the curb.

“Like they said, somewhere fun,” Sunny replied happily, smiling as she rested back in her chair.

Tiffany smiled, relaxing as the bus’s motor whirred beneath her feet. She listened to the rest of the girls chat, starting to doze off a bit as they headed towards the very busy day ahead.


“Okay, girls, we’re here!” Taeyeon yelled back, waving them forward as she hopped off the bus. “Here are your tickets, and we’ll meet here around 7:30 for dinner, okay? Have fun! I’ll be around, if you need anything. Have fun!” She gave each a paper ticket, smiling as she waved them inside the gates.

“Guys!” Yoona yelled, smiling and running inside with Yul right behind her, who yelled, “We’re at the amusement park!”

Jessica followed after them, Sooyoung pulling her in as the rest followed.

“Taeyeon?”

The singer turned, head tilted to look at the girl beside her. “Yes, Tiffany?”

“Would you like to ride with us?”

The brunette smiled, nodding as she pulled out her own ticket. “I’d love to. Shall we?”

The younger nodded, flashing an eyesmile as she took off towards her friends, the teen sensation following at her heels. She giggled to herself, happy and excited. “Time for some rides!”

Hyoyeon cheered, arms around the maknae and Sunny, laughing as they headed into the park. “Let’s go!”

Jiyoon laughed, whooping as she entered, the red head beside her scowling slightly. “I don’t believe this! I’ve always wanted to come here!”

“It’s not that spectacular,” Hyuna bit out, earning an eyeroll from her friend. Jiyoon grabbed her wrist, heading straight for the biggest coaster in the park.

All eleven girls got on together, nearly taking all the seats on that ride. Some of the girls were yelling in happiness, others were slightly frowning and clinging to the harness around them. The ride started to move slowly, and Taeyeon laughed loudly, making the girl beside her smile.

“You like roller coasters, too?” Tiff asked her, smile evident.

“What’s not to like?” the other answered, giving another laugh as they reached the peak. They plummeted over the hill, flying down the rail and whipping around a loop.

“This is awesome!” Hyoyeon hollered into the wind, Sooyoung mimicking her as others screamed.

They flew over several smaller hills and curves, finally coming to a halt back at the station.

Sunny was laughing hysterically as she climbed off with Seohyun, who was a little shaky. Yoona and Yuri gave each other a high five, wide grins obvious. Jessica was actually smiling as well, Hyoyeon and Sooyoung slapping each other playfully. Tiffany giggled, turning to look at Taeyeon. “That was fun.”

“Want to go on that one next?” she asked, pointing across the plaza. Stephanie nodded, and the two took off, the rest running after them. “Hey!” “Wait up!!”

“Last one there is a rotten egg!”


By the time the day was done, all of them were tired, thrilled, but still exhausted. Taeyeon ushered them all onto the bus with a laugh, collapsing onto the seat next to Tiffany. “That was fun. Thank you for letting me tag along.”

“It was. And, no need to thank me, Tae. That’s what friends are for.” The American smiled, settling into the seat and stretching.

Taeyeon gave a soft smile of her own, eyes unable to close on the journey back to the dorms. She sighed lightly, watching as some of the other girls started to doze off. ‘Maybe one day, I can join them. Just maybe, I can be normal, too…’