Chapter 3

Volume Up

“Okay, everyone, good job so far. Take a ten minute break!”

 

“O.M.G. I can’t feel my legs,” Jessica mumbled, collapsing onto the floor.

“Sica, it’s only been an hour,” Sooyoung grumbled, dropping a bottle of water onto the girl.

The heap glared as she sat up, taking a long swig of the liquid.

“We still have two hours of dancing today-”

“And three of singing,” Yoona finished for the darker skinned girl, standing beside the two.

“Can you believe this? This is so cool!” Sunny gushed, a bright smile accompanying her excitement.

“I still can’t believe this is even happening,” Stephanie muttered, taking a drink of her own water.

“Why is that, Miyoung?” Juhyun asked softly, hands clasped in front of her.

“I guess I never imagined getting this far,” the American replied, smiling softly.

“Hey Taeyeon! What brings you here?” Hyoyeon interjected, rolling her shoulders.

The star smiled, bowing politely. “There’s something that I came to ask each of you. You see, once people joing the company, you have the option of taking a stage name if you want. Some do to keep part of your identity separate from your career. Many of us usually keep our names, but it is an option. I’ll come back at the end of the day so you have time to think it over.”

“Taeyeon! The recording studio’s open!”

“Well, that’s my cue. I’ll see you guys later!” She gave a quick wave, leaving the large practice room in a hurry.

“So, what are you all going to do?” Yuri asked to no one in particular, starting to stretch.

“I’m keeping mine,” Yoona nodded, glancing around at the other girls.

“I’ll be Sunny. My real name is a little too old-fashioned…”
“I’m with Yoona,” Yuri added, Hyoyeon, Sooyoung, and Jessica agreeing.

“Well, I know there’s a Stephanie already… So, I’ll be… Tiffany.”

“Why Tiffany?”

“That was supposed to be my name until my father decided on Stephanie.”

“I like it. Nice to meet you, Tiffany. I’m Hyoyeon,” the blonde introduced, giggling softly. That earned a laugh from them, and all of them bowed at the girl. “Hi, Tiffany!”

“We can call her Fany for short!” Sunny pointed out, clapping her hands excitedly.

“What about you, Juhyun?” Yoona asked, her head tilting in curiousity.

“Seohyun,” the maknae answered quietly, eyes averted to the ground.

“I like it!” Yoona gave her friend a hug, grinning. “It’s really pretty.”

“Very original,” Jessica muttered, a thoughtful expression creeping onto her face.

“Hey, Sica, what’s that look for?” Sooyoung interjected, peering down at her companion with a raised eyebrow.

“None of your business, Shikshin.”

“I don’t eat that much!!”

“You eat non-stop,” Hyoyeon retorted, smiling.

“But-” the tallest girl started to pout, earning a laugh.

“Pouting doesn’t suit you, Soo,” Sica added, a smile of her own breaking free.

“Alright, everyone, time to get back to work!”

The girls gave a collective huff, making their way back to the group to continue their lesson.


 

“Lunch time at last!” Sooyoung exclaimed, racing toward the door as fast as her long legs would carry her.

“Shikshin, wait up!” Sunny yelled after the retreating blur, huffing.

“Come on, shorty!” she retorted to the shortest, smirking lightly at the responding silence.

The others laughed, following after the duo. They talked amongst themselves excitedly, discussing the upcoming singing lessons.

“I’ll meet you guys at the café,” Tiffany announced, escaping down the hallway and to the bathroom.

After she exited the restroom, she paused, hearing an all-too familiar voice. She crept closer, the sound growing louder. She finally came to the cracked door, peeking in curiously. Russet irises widened, spotting the brunette behind the recording studio window. She was captivated, watching the multitude of expressions crossing the star’s face as she sang. Tiffany watched as Taeyeon’s passion overtook her, several tears falling onto the porcelain skin unnoticed as the elder continued further into the song. Miyoung felt her spirit, and heart, leap when the young woman reached the higher notes of the song, blinking back unexpected tears. Stephanie ducked back down the hallway, carefully wiping the excess moisture from her eyes as she made her way to the cafeteria. ‘Wow… That was… incredible… I never knew someone –anyone—could sing with that much emotion…’

“Miyoung? Are you okay?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah. I’m just surprised, that’s all.”

“By what?”

“It’s nothing, Yul. Let’s eat!”

The tanned girl watched her friend walk away with a confused expression. ‘Nothing, huh… We’ll see about that.’ She became distracted when the other prankster started to drag her to the lunch line, rolling her eyes as her friend rambled.

“So, whose ready for some singing?” Tiffany asked, her excitement growing more evident.

“I know I am,” Jessica agreed, setting her tray done at their usual seats.

“Of course you are,” Hyoyeon retorted with a teasing smile. “I mean, you are a singer, duh.”

“Thank you, Captain Obvious,” the American responded, giving the blonde a sarcastic smile. “And, since you’re a dancer, I’m guessing you’re not?”

“Darn right,” the dance replied, plopping down with a laugh. The group gave a collective chuckle at the exchange, shaking their heads as they joined them.

“Food!” Sooyoung uttered, not wasting any time as she dug into the mound of food. The rest followed suit, not wanting to be late to their first singing lessons.

“Do you think they’re going to assign us songs?” Seohyun questioned politely, turning the conversation in a new direction.

“Oh… I don’t know,” Sunny thought aloud, glancing around at the other girls.

“I hope not… But, I can’t imagine them choosing bad songs for us,” Tiffany added softly, head tilted as she thought.

“I mean, they do want us to do well, right? So, they’ll pick good ones,” Sooyoung interrupted.

“Gross! Don’t eat with your mouth full!” Yoona slapped the tallest’s shoulder, nose wrinkling softly.

The shikshin just smiled and continued eating, ignoring the disproving comments by the other girls.

“So, Fany, what took you so long earlier?” Yuri piped up, her curiousity rising at the girl’s distant look.

“Checking herself in the mirror, no doubt. She has to keep that fake mask on somehow.”

The girls turned at the new voice, eyes widening slightly at the interruption.

“Buzz off, Hyuna,” Sunny growled, eyes blazing.

Hyuna gave a soft smirk at the reaction, flicking her long, wavy locks over her pale shoulder. “But, then you’d miss me, Sunkyu.”

Sunny didn’t respond, tongue moving against the inside of her cheek in anger.

“Buzz. Off,” Hyoyeon repeated, starting to stand.

“Now, now, don’t get your in a twist,” the red head retorted, rolling her eyes.

Yuri stood, as did the infuriated blonde dancer.

“Touchy, touchy, I see.”

“I suggest you walk away, Hyuna,” Taeyeon interjected, seemingly appearing out of nowhere.

The red head sent a glare at the teen star, bumping shoulders with her as she went to join her group.

“Sit,” Taeyeon muttered to the angered dancers and singers. “You don’t want to cause a big scene.”

Hyo and Yuri retook their seats, hands clenched. Sunny heaved a frustrated sigh, as did many of the other members.

“Why would she say that? Fany has done nothing to her to earn such treatment,” Seohyun asked aloud, her expression too serious for someone her age.

“She thinks she’s the best thing alive just because she’s ‘y.’ Please, her ‘y dancing’ isn’t real dancing at all,” Hyoyeon fumed, taking an angry bite of her food.

“Well, I have no right to say anything but… I think she’s jealous of you all.”

“Her?”

“Of us?”

“No way.”

“Is it really that hard to believe? Hyoyeon, you are one of the best dancers here, by far. Sunny, you are one of the cutest girls, with an awesome smile and laugh. Yuri, your y charm and randomness can’t be rivaled by anyone here. Yoona, your facial expressions and acting are really good, and you're very funny. Sooyoung, you have one of the best personalities, and you are hilarious with your imitations. Seohyun, you are so talented with music and languages, as well as both singing and dancing. Jessica, you have a striking beauty and a voice to match. Tiffany, you are one of the kindest people I’ve ever met, and you have such a unique voice that is simply mesmerizing. And, seeing you all together in one group is probably a bit intimidating, especially since there’s so much talent.”

They sat in silence, processing everything the young woman had just revealed to them. Several of them patted at their eyes discretely, tears springing up at the kind unexpected words. They all stood as one, bowing to the elder. Taeyeon gave a soft smile, returning the gesture. Without another word, she left, leaving the eight to finish their lunch in a matter of minutes.

‘I can’t believe it.

Kim Taeyeon…

The Kim Taeyeon… stood up for me…’