Chapter 4

Volume Up

I'm so sorry that it has taken this long for me to update... I'm not going to give you any excuses. Please enjoy this chapter, and consider it an apology!


“So, today we’re working on a song all together as a group. This will be what you will perform on Saturday, along with the separate dance. Tomorrow, you will be broken down into sections, and Wednesday will be individual lessons. Thursday and Friday will be rehearsals. Understood?”

The large group nodded, many expressing their excitement.

“Sorry, I’m late,” Taeyeon apologized profusely, pulling her hair into a high ponytail after she bowed.

“Actually, you’re just in time. Here are the parts. You can assign them as you see fit.”

The brunette took the stack, glancing down at the ranges on each, biting her lipas she thought. She moved around the room, giving each girl a folder of music. “Please keep in mind, this is based on how well you auditioned.”

“What about the dancers? They didn’t sing at auditions.”

“Actually, they did a little. All of the dancers that I thought might  move on I asked to sing a small part.”

Hyoyeon nodded, Sooyoung, Yuri, and Yoona all agreeing. Hyuna even nodded as well, although her arms were crossed over her chest.

“Okay, I think everyone has a part now.”

“Thank you, Taeyeon.”

The girl smiled and bowed, exiting as quickly as she had come.

“Take a minute to look over your parts, and then we’ll get started…”

“Really? This is all I get?”

“Hyuna, everyone gets the same amount of lines.”

“The redhead huffed noticeably, fuming beneath the annoyed façade.

Hyoyeon rolled her eyes, biting her tongue.

Sica noticed the look and rested a hand on the other’s arm, nodding slightly.

The blonde sighed, relaxing a bit.

“Okay, let’s take it from the top, ladies.”


 

“Well, it looks like we have a surprise for all of you. Get changed, and meet down in the lobby in an hour.”

“Where could we be going?”

“Who knows?”

“Whatever it it is, I hope it’s fun.”

Tiffany listened to the chit chat quietly, mind racing. ‘I wonder what it could be…’

“Hurry up, Miyoung! We have to get ready.”

The brunette snapped out of her reverie, nodding as she picked up her pace to match the group. They scurried to their rooms, pulling on their nicer clothing. Each girl took turns in the bathroom, perfecting their hair and adding some light make-up.

“Maybe we’re going out to have fun!” Yoona pondered aloud, setting her straightener down and shutting it off.

“Maybe. I think it’ll be to teach us something,” Yuri responded, slipping her make-up back into its bag.

“I’m with Yul,” Sooyoung added, flopping down on Yoona’s bed, followed shortly after by Hyoyeon.

“Either way, we can make it fun,” the blonde pointed out, fingers running through her hair idly.

“You guys ready?” Sunny asked, poking her head in the door.

“Yeah,” they all answered in unison, flicking the lights off as they exited after their friends.

“Everyone, pile into one of the buses. Stay together with the group at all times,” one of their choreographers announced sternly, ushering them out the doors to the awaiting vehicles.

“Where are we going”” Hyuna demanded, holding up the line as they approached the automobiles.

“If you must know, we’re going to watch some live performances. Now, Miss Kim, if you would be so kind as to climb aboard…” The redhead her heel, taking a front row seat along with her friends.

The group of eight stowed away on the other bus, wanting to avoid any more drama.

“Looks like both of you were right,” Sooyoung muttered, referring to Yoona and Yuri’s comments before they left.

“At least we get a break for awhile,” Tiffany joined in, leaning back in her seat as the motor started and they took off.

“The hard part will be keeping Sleeping Beauty awake,” Hyoyeon teased, looking directly at Sica, who returned the comment with a glare. That look earned a collective laugh, easing their anxiety and stress somewhat.

“Do you think we’re watching someone from SM?” Seohyun asked softly, hands folded neatly in her lap.

“Proabably,” Sunny replied scooting forward to better see the youngest member.

“Problems, Sun?”

“Nothing I can’t handle,” the shorty retorted, sticking her tongue out at her tanned friend.

“Careful, Yul, I heard the shorter they are, the fiester they get,” Yoona interjected, smiling mischievously.

The other scoffed, shooting disdainful looks at the two jokesters.

Sooyoung snickered, the shortest girl’s tongue pressing against her cheek.

Jessica promptly smacked the chodings lightly, icy glare accompanying it.

Hyoyeon just smiled, leaning back comfortably in her spot.

Tiffany giggled quietly at the girls’ antics and reactions, shaking her head. ‘This shall definitely be both interesting and fun!’


 

“Okay, we’re here everyone. One of the stage crew will be escorting us to the front most seats. Please behave yourselves,” their mentor cautioned, guiding them into the large building before them.

“This way, please. The performances will be starting in an hour. We ask that you please stay as quiet as possible until we are done with light and sound checks.”

They filed into the auditorium, taking a seat on the far right of the stage. They watched in awe and curiosity as several of the crew scurried around them. People filled in around them as the crew filtered away, chatting quietly amongst themselves. The girls started to fidget and shift with their growing excitement, the tension building as the house lights dimmed.

“Hello everyone, and welcome. Tonight we will be debuting some of the most recent OSTs that are sure to astound and please. So, without further discussion, let us bring out our first singer of the evening, Super Junior’s very own Kyunhyun.” Many of the fans, including a majority of the trainees, cheered as the idol stepped out into the spotlights.


 

“I hope you all have had a wonderful time with us tonight. We will leave you with one last song. Singing “I Love You” from the hit drama Athena, here is Kim Taeyeon.”

Hyuna instantly deflated, crossing her arms as the rest of the crowd yelling happily.

Tiffany clapped loudly, a smile forming as the elder moved into the center of the stage before them. The rest of her friends mimicked her, Hyoyeon whooping quietly as the lights dimmed further.

A single light flared, illuminating the singer in a warm ray of white. Her lightly curled brown tresses fell over her one shoulder, revealing more of the near flawless white skin. Onyx eyes moved up to scan the audience, a sort of glow and aura radiating from her as the music began.

She lifted the microphone, a soft smile forming before she started to sing to the soft tones. She kept her voice quiet and warm, both hands keeping the microphone steady as the next segment continued higher. She returned to the previous style, slowly pouring more emotion into her voice as the song progressed. Her eyes went over the crowd, connecting with the audience as she made eye contact. Her eyes eventually came to rest on the girls, and they all smiled faintly. Tiffany felt the air leave her lungs, breathless as she watched, mesmerized. There was so much emotion there, and she recalled her memory of the girl recording that very song.

Sunny sneaked a glance at her friend, noticing her faraway look. She giggled softly to herself, keeping her observations to herself as she turned her attention back to Taeyeon.

Once the piece ended, the crowd clapped vigorously, some of the fans standing. Taeyeon gave a deep bow, exiting the stage as the applause died down.

“Wow!” “Fantastic!” “She sounds like an angel…” The girls muttered amongst themselves, waiting to be escorted back to their buses.

“I wonder who wrote it? It was beautiful,” Yuri said softly, a thoughtful expression on her face.

“That’s for sure,” Hyoyeon murmured, shifting positions as she stretched.

“That was incredible,” Jessica added, several of the girls turning to look at her with wide eyes. She noticed and scowled, rolling her eyes. The rest chuckled, Sooyoung agreeing with a laugh.

“I don’t think she sounded all that great. I mean, she didn’t exactly hit many high notes,” a certain redhead announced loudly, audible over everything else.

“Singing isn’t just about a voice. Great singers know how to control it,” Tiffany interjected, hands clenching slightly in her lap.

“They know when to push, when to pull back, when to be soft, and when to let emotion shine through,” Seohyun finished for her, her quiet voice strong and firm.

“Yeah, they’re right,” Yoona joined, most of the trainees nodding in agreement as well.

Hyuna rolled her eyes, crossing her arms moodily as she turned around.

“I can’t wait until she gets kicked off,” the blonde dancer mumbled, glaring at the red head.

“Yeah, she doesn’t have much room to talk.”

“She only made it this far because of her appearance and ‘rapping.’”

“Enough,” Sunny cut in, tongue rubbing the inside of her cheek. “Talking about her like that makes us look as bad as her.”

Everyone fell silent, thinking over what the short brunette had said. “I’m sorry.” “Me, too.” “Me, three.”

“Everyone, back to the buses.” The girls gave a tired sigh, slowly wandering back to the vehicles and headed back to the dormitory. “Remember, sectionals are tomorrow. Go get some rest. Good night.”

Once they returned to their rooms, the girls split up and went to bed, falling asleep, all except one certain American. ‘To think, I may be on a stage like that one day… Maybe even with Taeyeon…’