The True Joke

Love Like a K-Drama

It started out as a joke. A tease. A means to frustrate a person.

 

Byunghun had teased Ricky about it many times before - he was the one who started it, really.

 

Jinna had just folloewd along - after alll, she loved seeing her cousin as flustered and overprotective of her as he became.

 

But then Byunghun took it a step further - having unknowingly grown fond of the small girl. He invited her out - just a session to hang out for the two of them. They would tease Ricky about it later, saying they went out, but it wasn't really a date. Although most people dont' see dinner and a movie as anything less than a date nowadays. Especially if they took pictures together - to send to Ricky, they argued - and held hands - Jinna couldn't see her way through the theater, they claimed. The real deal-breaker though, the real way it was officially a date was the kiss Byunghun had placed on Jinna's lips when he'd seen her to her front door.

 

Then with that, it was a date.

 

Jinna hadn't thought about it before, whether or not she actually held feelings for Byunghun, but the kiss made her think about it. And she realized she was smitten.

 

Byunghun had done it out of the heat of the moment, not wanting to leave her with something so simple and undeserving as just a wave and 'goodnight' after the delightful evening she had played a part in. So he'd leaned down, holding her chin as he kissed her softly. It was only after he'd gotten home that the thought of his action really hit him and by then, he too, was smitten.

 

They both refused to admit it, even after they'd started dating - much to Ricky's dismay and disapproval. It was just hard to say.

 

It was nearly five years later when Jinna finally said it. She saw the box, the preparations, and stopped him before they'd even left the house. "I guess I like you too. Or...well, I love you. And yes, I'll marry you."

 

She'd answered his unspoken proposal. And despite the fact he still had to pay for the restaurant and musicians she never got to eat at or listen to, he was overjoyed. He loved her too.

 

It ended as the truth.