Coveted and Coveting

Love Like a K-Drama

She wasn't the prettiest girl in the world, nor the smartest or nicest.

 

She was all of those things, sure, but they weren't a huge factor in her.

 

However, there was still a certain something about her. There had to be, or she wouldn't have gotten so many confessions.

 

As a young girl, she got numerous childish reports from those older sisters and friends about some boy or other that liked her. But she was young, and it wasn't what she wanted.

 

When she reached a better age, she got more. Her friends once about getting confessions from boys in alphabetical order, and laughed and shook their heads at her sugar coated blunt rejections. What else was she to do, though? It wasn't what she wanted. 

 

Jessica Jung simply didn't want that.

 

Her simple desire made her innocent and determined. She could only see what she was aiming for, and anything else was invisible.

 

Jessica got some of the strangest confessions and asks.

 

She had once been, reluctantly, consoling a friend, when his brother came to take him away. The brother seemed to take an instant attraction to her - however, Jessica couldn't see it. He asked her, on the spot, to be his - his girlfriend - and told her he loved her. She stared at him, her at first expression calm and curious. She'd thought he was serious, she'd said through her laughs. "You don't even know my name." 

 

" 'A rose by any other name is just as sweet.' " He replied.

 

She stopped laughing and stared up at him with wide eyes. "You like Shakespeare?"

 

He wasn't sure if he should give up or not.

 

There was a person who refused - absolutely refused - to admit his feelings for her. Jessica, as well, couldn't see it. So it didn't quite matter... but he had confessed to her a number of times; even though he didn't accept them as confessions. And each time, she shot him down hard. He pushed on anyway. He was a strange one, always blurting out something odd, she thought. Always something odd.

 

She just didn't get it.

 

Just as she'd consoled a friend, a friend consoled her. He was always there for her, always ready to uncork the bottle of pressure she held. He loved her, and her him - just not in the same way. He didn't even bother trying to confess to her - at least not really - because he knew what she wanted. He knew, and knew he couldn't do anything.

 

There was another - a person that had grown an unlikely attraction for her. Jessica saw this one, and rather enjoyed watching it. She knew that he liked her - and he was so sweet about it all. He was the only one that sparked any bit of emotion in her, and she couldn't find the courage to tell him that he too, wasn't what she wanted. Only for two reasons: one, that she was afraid she would be hurt. She had an innocent heart, one that would be too easily shattered if she gave herself to him.

 

Two, because of what she wanted. Or who she wanted. 

 

Her heart belonged to someone else and she found it incredibly difficult to take it back - let alone give it to someone else.