Happy Endings

Love Like a K-Drama

 

My best friend was the first person to point it out.

 

Then the rest of my friends.

 

Then my mother.

 

Then my cousins.

 

I never stopped hearing it. And I never stopped arguing back.

 

It didn’t help, no matter how many examples were given to me to prove that my life was turning into a Korean drama, I always countered it with the same words.

 

“The difference: those Korean dramas have happy endings.”

 

Oh yes. My love life is compared to Korean dramas.

 

Well, sort of. In the sense that I like a guy who’s a total prick to me, but not to the other girl that likes him, and that a super sweet princely guy likes me.

 

Sound familiar? Please don’t tell me. I’ve heard it all.

 

I know it may sound stupid; why would I go for the prick instead of the prince? I don’t know. You can’t control love, right?

 

I’m not going to bore you with the details of this cliché drama life of mine. My story will be short, I promise.

 

So this prick, Sunwoo, started to show affection for the other girl. I was upset, of course, but I didn’t let it show; even after they started to be together. I’d just have to get used to the idea that I wasn’t wanted.

 

After a while though, it was getting hard to just grit my teeth and bear with it, so I started to spend more and more time with Byunghun, my ‘prince’. Long story behind the nickname, and you probably don’t want to know.

 

We started talking more, hanging out with each other more, and maybe even being a little more intimate. I really could fall for him, I thought. My only problem was staying a little hung over Sunwoo. With time though, Byunghun could change that.

 

What happened next, I blame and thank Sunwoo for.

 

I started growing distrusting of Byunghun, insecure of the things he did and said, suspicious of whether or not I was ‘his only princess’ like he said I was. I compared times, words, messages, and small changes in our interactions and couldn’t help but notice strange patterns.

 

As much as I loved Byunghun, and as much as he said he loved me, I just couldn’t do it anymore. I told him how I felt, how I was suspicious of him. He admitted that I had a reason to be suspicious, but begged me to let him stay by side.

 

But how could I let someone who did something like that stay with me?

 

In the end, Sunwoo was happy with someone else and Byunghun went off on his own. None of us spoke to each other anymore, and the cast for my K-Drama had been disbanded.

 

Except, my love isn’t really like a K-Drama, is it?

 

Korean dramas have happy endings.