Chapter Three

And Time Stops...

 

I didn’t feel like staying in the office for lunch today so I reached for my purse and went out for a stroll. Surrounding our building was the busy streets of Seoul.  It’s been a while since I went out for walks on at lunch since the company was so busy with the Summer Collection. Now that we are just finalizing the collection, I finally have time to relax. Taec was still at the office when I was on my way out. From outside his office, he looked like he was working hard on perhaps designing the banner for the show or at least designing something, but in reality I know he is intensively playing Starcraft.

I turned the corner. I don’t think I’ve ever been on this street before. I check the time. 12:40PM. I’ve been walking for over 20 minutes. No wonder I’ve never walked here before…I usually don’t even come this far from the company. I look at the shops on the street. Hmm….maybe I should be a good sister and get him some food from around the block. There were a few small shops, probably family run. I chose to go into the café. It wasn’t as busy as the usual Starbucks which I appreciate. There were only a few people who came out for lunch, a few students studying at tables, and a young couple on a date.

I looked at their limited selection of cakes and sweets.

“I’ll get an Americano, a blueberry muffin, and a slice of chocolate cheesecake please.” I ordered a muffin for myself and the cake for Taecyeon. That brother of mine has a sweet tooth. I paid the lady.

“Thank you, Miss, it’ll be one moment for me to get the food items for you.” The middle-aged lady replied.

I took out my phone and was about to text Taec and tell him I got him a slice of cake when a familiar voice called my name.

“Omo! Lena! Do you remember me?” I turned around. It was Yoona. Bumping into cops two days in a row? This would not have been a good sign if we were out on a trade, I thought.  

“Yoona right? The officer from last night?” I politely replied.

“Yes!” She almost screamed, “Are you on your lunch?”

“Yes I am, are you?”

“Yes, I was just helping my mother out with the coffee shop a bit today before I meet up with my brother at the station later, since the part-time student workers come only after classes.” She started, “Speaking of which…Umma! This is my favourite designer! I showed you her designs before.” She called out for the middle-aged lady from before.

“Ohh you’re the designer my daughter loves.” The lady said, “Nice to meet you, miss…Oh and here’s your muffin and cheesecake”

“Thank you ma’am” I said.

“Aish…I’m running late.” Yoona said, “I’m going to head to work now! Bye umma, bye Lena, nice running into you again!”

When I got back to the office after lunch I dropped the box of cake off in Taec’s office. He was just finishing his Starcraft match.

“YES I WON!! TAKE THAT YOU LOSER.” I just stared at him, “Is that for me?” He stared at the box in my hand.

“Oh yes, and guess who I ran into today at the coffee shop I got this at?”

“Who? One of your ex boyfriends from Canada?” He joked.

“Naaah~ It was your not-so-secret-admirer from last night~” I teased as I ate my muffin.

“You ran into that cop lady again? Daaannggg, maybe you don’t have fate with her brother but with the Yoona girl!”

I smacked him and gave him a look. Wow. Can I throw him out the window yet?

 


 

 

After work I got into my car and started it. I was scrolling through the radio stations deciding which one to listen to on my way home from work when my phone rang.

It was Taecyeon.

“There’s nothing to do today….want to go volunteering?” You see, we do charitable things like donate to all sorts of cancer research, orphanages, retirement homes, long-term care homes, hospitals, schools, etc. That is why we have never been a suspect of illegal dealings before.

It was true, there really wasn’t anything to do today, I would probably end up going to the gym or practicing martial arts.

“Sure, lets grab some food first. Round up the team.”  I instructed him. He would then have to call the rest of our gang.

“Will do sis~”

I hung up and was about drive when someone opened the passenger seat door and sat down.

“Hey babe.”

“What the heck, Jay!” I glared at him.

He just laughs at me. “Taecyeon texted me about volunteering today. Can I ride with you?”

I glared at him again, and then I just focused on driving and listening to the radio.

 


 

 

It was around 6pm when we arrived at the orphanage that we love to volunteer at. We usually volunteer here on Saturdays but since we have time today, why not. The 12 of us walked in together. Jay’s arms were around my shoulder and he was talking about one of his embarrassing moments he tripped in front of a girl he liked. Jay and I might act somewhat flirty towards each other, but on the inside, we know we are just super good friends.  

Once we stepped in the doorway we were greeted by Ms. Song. She is the one who takes care of the children along with her staff.

“Aigoooo you guys are here to play with the kids too? My two groups of favourite volunteers are here today! The kids will be so happy to see so many of you today.”

“Wait…two groups? Who else is here, Ms. Song?” Junho asked.

“Oh! I’ll introduce you guys! They’re just out on the court playing basketball with the kids in the back!”

We followed Ms. Song to the back.

We froze for a bit. Great. Them again.

Kim Jaejoong waved to us when he realized who we were.

He jogged over to us.

“Nice to see you guys again.” He said. Four other guys followed him and looked at us.

“Oh you guys already know each other? That’s great! I’ll let you young ones to play on your own.” Ms Song smiled and made her way back inside.

“Uhmm…” Taecyeon rubbed his neck out of awkwardness. “Let me introduce you to my friends. This is Junsu, Junho, Nichkhun, Wooyoung, Chansung, Jay, Fei, Suzy, Jia, and Min. And you already know my sister, Lena, from last night.”

“Then let me introduce you to my team.” Jaejoong smiled. “This is Yunho, Changmin, Yoochun, and this one is also named Junsu.”

“Hey” “Hi” “Whatssup” “Nice to meet you” They all had their own greeting and went their separate ways into playing with the different kids on the court. Jia, Min, Suzy, and Junsu went inside to play with the kids indoors.

The ones who stayed outside to play basketball all went to grab their gym clothes from their cars and changed into them. I was now in a blank black tee shirt and black shorts.

Jay, Nichkhun and I were playing with a few girls that are around 4 years old.

“Oppas! Throw the ball in the net!” One of them said.

Nichkhun shot and it went in.

“Wahhhhh” They squeeled and hugged his leg, “Nichkhun oppa is so cool!!!”

We just laughed at how he now couldn’t move without moving one of the girls off his legs.

Jay and I took turns shooting basketballs too.

“Unnieee you’re so pretty and talented!” The girls looked up at me. “Can you teach me how to throw too?”

“Sure,” I said and lifted her up to a higher height so that the net is closer to her. “Throw it in the hoop as best as you can.” And she throws and it bounces off the rim. “Awww. That was close! Just practice more and you’ll get it!” I smiled at her. Okay unnie! She ran off to tell her friends she almost got it in the hoop.

I leaned on Nichkhun and smiled at the kids. Volunteering for us was a pass-time it was something we loved to do, and the kids made us happy. I looked around to see Taecyeon, Chansung, Changmin, and Yunho lifting a few little boys no older than the age of 4 above past their shoulders allowing them to dunk into the other net.  The boys giggled every time they got a dunk into the net. That’s kind of cute.

Junho, Wooyoung, and Fei were just playing tag with the other kids on the court.

In the corner of my eye, I saw Jaejoong sitting on the grass with two older boys; maybe the age of 15 or 16, they would almost be able to leave the orphanage. I wonder what they’re doing just sitting there chatting.

After a while of shooting around while the little girls watched us, the sun was setting and Ms Song and her staff were telling the children to go inside. The children helped clean up the court and collect all the equipment. But I held on to a basketball. I still wanted to play. Once all the kids went inside, I was about to shoot the basketball into the net but someone snatched it out of my arms. I looked and saw that Jay was dribbling away backwards sticking his tongue out at me. I went after him. Once I was close enough he tossed it above my head. Ughhhhh. Bullying much? I turned around to see Taecyeon dribbling.

“Hey sis…did you want this?” He says spinning the basketball on one finger.

“Yes.” I walked over to him expecting him to give it to me.

“Then get it.” He said and tossed it at someone else.

“Dammit.” I turned around and it was now in the arms of Chansung.

“It’s monkey in the middle baby~” Jay chanted with the ball now in his hands. He aimed at the net and shot. He then retrieved the ball. By the time I got over to him he was dribbling steadily. Since it is Jay who has the ball….

“Jaebeom Oppa~” I tried my best aegyo. Oh god. I almost cringed. I’ve always hated when girls do aegyo things just to act cute.”

Jay stared at me for a second and that was when I snatched the ball back.

“JAYYYYYYY WHYYYYY!!!” The five other guys screamed.

I laughed at all of them. Even Fei was laughing from where she was sitting on the grass. That’s when I realized. Jaejoong and his crew were still here.

“Hey, did you guys want to play a game?” I asked.

“Sure!” Yunho replied.

“I’ll sit out.” Wooyoung said.

“Me too, you guys can play 5 on 5,” Junho added.

Jaejoong looked at me. Probably underestimating me. Do I really look that weak? I smirked. I’ll show you.

The game started and I have the ball. I’m dribbling down the side of the court and somehow the other team has already figured out who is guarding who. Jaejoong happens to be guarding me trying to block me from going any further. I turn and was about to go left but he was fast enough to block that way. He is way too fast for simple faking. I was forced to turn around and dribble my way backwards towards their net. He was a bit stubborn still trying to reach over and steal the ball from me. His body was right against my back and I had to somehow get away. I dribbled left and turned around, quickly faked a pass but tossed it up a small distance away from the net. Come on brother, you can do this. Lets not lose to cops.

And he did what I was expecting him to do, he jumped up caught the ball in mid-air and dunked it straight into the net.

“wooohooo!” Fei, Junho, and Wooyoung cheered from the sidelines.

The game went on for a while and I came to realize these cops are actually quite good in basketball. Especially Changmin and Jaejoong. When Jaejoong had the ball I realized he was really hard to block. It seems that he was cautious when trying to get past me so that he doesn’t run me over or hurt me. It’s quite funny to see someone think of me as a girl who could easily get hurt. We finished the game and we lost count of the score. Fei and the guys on the side lines didn’t even bother trying to keep score for us. The majority of the teams went inside to get changed. Only Jaejoong and Yunho were left as well as Taecyeon and I.

“Wow, Lena, you’re so good at basketball!” Yunho commented. “You were like a ninja out there.”

“I laughed at him. You’re not so bad yourself, Yunhoi.” I replied laughing.

“You guys are actually so fun to be around,” Yunho started to say, “let’s exchange numbers and grab food together some time.” He suggested.

For a second we didn’t say anything. Then I tiptoed to Taecyeon and whispered in his ear. “This could be an advantage for us right?”

He probably got what I was thinking because he started pulling out his phone. If we get close to them, we could know when they are out to catch criminals, and we could avoid those. We could even get inside knowledge on what they know about the rival gangs.

I also passed my phone around letting them punch in their numbers. I punched in my number into all five of their phones and so did Taecyeon.

I didn’t bother changing out of my shorts and tee. I’ll just shower and change when I get home.

I walked towards my car.

“It’s getting colder, aren’t you going to change?” A voice behind me asked. I turned around. It was Jaejoong. I realized how soothing his voice is.

“No, I’ll just shower and change once I get home.” I replied.

“You really shouldn’t take the chances of getting sick.” He looked into my eyes wrapped a thin sweater around me. Usually when guy do this I would return the sweater, jacket, shirt, etc. right away. Dammit Lena. But his eyes and his voice is just so nice…

 


 

Hi guys! I am back onto this story after sooooo long! 

I lost my inspiration for this story & writing in general but I recently found it again! 

So expect this story to continue updating on a regular basis!

I'm also planning on writting some oneshots, anyone want to throw ideas at me? ;)

Thanks guys!

Subscribe, Comment & Let's be friends!