Leaving

When The Flames Disperse

“What are you talking about-“

“The one who created all this mess, i-is only a child.” Gertrude whimpered as she gripped both of Hara’s wrists firmly.

“You’ll have to leave tomorrow, before things get worse.”

                                                                      

Today was the day. The day Hara leaves her childhood home. The day she leaves her guardian…and the day she leaves to fight for freedom. Hara exited the cottage and tightened the bag strap on her shoulder with a tight grip. *I’ll miss everything here…*She thought. As she was about to walk away and start the beginning of her new journey, Gertrude yelled out, “Wait!”

Her eyes widened and she gradually turned around. With a weeping face, Gertrude ran out of the cottage and wrapped her arms around Hara in a tight embrace.

“I’ll miss you, Hara…and don’t get hurt. If you do, you’ll hurt me too. And the other side of the Kura fields will only be 4 hours from here. So make sure you eat in between each break. ” Hara grabbed Gertrude’s hand, and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

“Don’t worry Gertrude, I’ll be fine. I’ll be back before you can say ‘apples’.” Gertrude slowly let go of Hara and wiped a few tears off her face with the back of her hand.

“And remember, once you have collected all three items, you must connect them together to make the most powerful weapon of Tsubasa. But I’m truly sorry that I can’t tell you what the items are, or the prophesy of the future will be broken.

“Good bye Gertrude. And thank you for everything you’ve done for me.” Hara cracked a smile behind her teary, blurred eyes and turned to go, until Gertrude could only see a tiny speck of her back.

“Apples…” She whispered as a tear slipped down her cheek.

                                                                      

As Hara continued to walk, in a distance, she spotted the Kura fields. Her face lit up at the sight of the translucent water and she crouched down impatiently, dipping her hand into the cool water in process. Hara’s mouth’s edges gradually crept up, becoming a relaxed small smile. She loved how the cool breeze fooled around with her hair, with a fresh fragrance attached to it. As time passed by, Hara decided to continue to walk towards the other side of the Kura fields.

She made sure that in each break, she would eat some food Gertrude had wrapped for her. Finally, which seemed to be forever, she reached the other side of the Kura fields. She looked around the place. It seemed quite different compared to her home. Instead of having the breath-taking scenery of the Kura fields at the front of the entrance, there was a scenery of Mehrong Lake. An exhausted sigh escaped from her lips as she slowly observed her surroundings with distaste. Observations of the compared differences between this futile place and her home of course. As Hara looked around, she spotted something in the sky. Smoke. With curious eyes, she followed the appalling smell of smoke with her nose scrunched up. As she passed some trees, a wooden house was revealed, with thick, black smoke coming out of its chimney.

*Figures.* She thought with rolling eyes. As she was about to turn around, she heard a stick snap and noises of feet scrambling across the forest floor. She pulled her hand behind her back, and retrieved a sharp dagger, expecting something dangerous to attack her.

“Who’s there?” Hara scanned her surroundings with pinched eyebrows. A voice from behind one of the towering trees called,

“Who are you? And why are you here?”

With a lump in , she took all her courage and answered,

“My name is Hara. And I have come to speak to Byun Baekhyun. Do you know where he is?”

A boy, not much older than Hara herself, came from behind one of the trees and slowly walked towards her. Her eyes flickered to his brown hair which captivated her for a moment. She studied his feminine but beautiful facial features in a matter of seconds. Thick hair…entrancing eyes and flawless skin. He was like an angel that fell from the heavens above.

“I’m Byun Baekhyun. What do you want from me?” Hara looked at his tall figure in amazement. She hadn’t imagined him to be this tall. She had always thought he would be short and plump. Hara felt her cheeks heat up as Baekhyun walked closer to her.

“I-I wanted to ask you something.”

“Uh…ok. Just not here. If my father found out I’m speaking to a girl, he’ll be furious.” And with that, Baekhyun led Hara to the shore of Mehrong Lake and plopped himself onto the dry floor, patting the space next to him.

“Ok…” Hara hesitated for a bit, but managed to take a seat next to him and opened to speak.

“I need you to help me on a quest to gain back the kingdom of Tsubasa.” Hara boldly said as she turned her head towards Baekhyun.

“A quest?” Baekhyun raised an eyebrow at such a request. As Hara continued to look at Baekhyun, she noticed something. *Whoa…he has pretty hands…* With that thought, Hara examined her own hands, looked away and muttered a few words under her breath with a frown.

“Why should I go on a quest with you?” Baekhyun questioned. Hara’s ears pricked up at the question and began to think of something to say.

“Because, I need your help to free the people, who are right now, slaves for the Cronises and to defeat the person who created all this destruction.”

“And I’ll also need that sword of yours.”

“How did you know I found a sword?” Baekhyun said with a confused expression.

After a while of persuading Baekhyun to fight beside her, he finally gave in and led her into his home. As Hara stepped into the old wooden house, she pinched her eyebrows together as smoke went up her nostrils.

“I’m sorry about the smell. It comes from the blacksmith shed beside my home. We should go quickly before my dad finds out that I’m gone.” Baekhyun glanced at Hara as she nodded and he led her upstairs into his room. As they both entered the room, Baekhyun rushed to the side of the bed while Hara observed her surroundings. The walls and the floor were both wooden while a window  has been situated on the right. A plain bed was placed on the left while two drawers were each positioned beside it. Hara came closer to Baekhyun and squatted down. Baekhyun placed his hands under his bed and dragged out a long, narrow box and carefully unlocked it. Revealing a magnificent silver sword.

Hara gasped in admiration as the sword shone brightly in the light. Baekhyun gazed at her face but noticed something glowing around her chest area.

“Hara? Why is your chest glowing?” Baekhyun said as he pointed towards the glowing area.

“What do you mean?” Hara looked down towards her chest and found it glowing also. Gradually, she reached out and took out her moon stone necklace that shone radiantly. Her eyebrows pinched together as she had never seen it react this way before, and glanced back at the sword. Which was also shining brightly in the area of the carved sphere.

“It’s never done that before…” Hara muttered quietly to herself. After a moment of silence, Baekhyun gasped as everything in his mind clicked into place.

“Hara, can you please give me your moon necklace for a moment?” Hara blinked a couple of times before obediently taking off her necklace, carefully placing it into his feminine hands.

“Thanks.” With that, Baekhyun pulled apart the moon gem from the necklace chain and cautiously inserted the gem into the empty carved sphere of the sword. Abruptly, the sword glowed even brighter, blinding both of their eyes before gradually dimming. Baekhyun grinned in satisfaction while Hara continued to stare in awe. Breaking the silence, Hara turned her head towards Baekhyun with concerned eyes, and said,

“We must go to the dungeons of Tsubasa Castle, my sister is trapped there.” Without warning, footsteps were to be heard downstairs.

“Oh no! My father must have come home early today!”

Baekhyun held the sword tight in his grip and lead Hara down the stairs with slyness. As they gradually crept behind the chair, he took a small peek at his father and thought in shame, *I’m sorry father.*

Baekhyun crouched back down and grabbed the door handle, slowly twisting it open. He pulled the door inwards, forming a small gap, and they both snuck through the door, ending outside of the wooden house.