The Truth

When The Flames Disperse

12 years ago…

The flames dispersed as everyone in the village ran for their lives from the foul demons as they devoured every being in its path. Cries and shrieks of sheer fear could be heard from all different directions. With numb legs and pants in her breath, a little girl stopped and glanced back with wide, terrified eyes. Beyond the flames, were smouldering bloodshot eyes, piercing through the girl from the dark shadows, with open arms, as it slowly dragged itself towards her. The girl’s heart accelerated and began to pick up speed as it came closer and closer. Before the cronis could reach her, a large figure rushed to her side and clashed weapons with the other and yelled to her to go. Screaming in fear and the denial of everything that was happening, the girl continued to run for her life.

As the war between the cronises and humans in the Tsubasa and Tao Villages ended, the evil triumphed. Many were lucky to escape and take refuge in the Kura Village, but others were taken away and were sold as slaves for the cronises. Now, all was lost, and the one who created all this…took the throne, and imprisoned the Tsubasa heiress deep in the dungeons. But needs one more thing…

                                                                  

(The Present)

A dark figure appeared behind a murky, dim cell. The dark figure held a crystal ball in its weak, feeble hands as the ball showed images of a girl, and a boy, battling a giant creature. The figure’s mouth’s edges gradually crept up, becoming a smirk as it softly said,

“All is not lost yet, for unless one girl and one boy, will confront the wicked demon who seeks power and revenge.”

                                                                  

The cold air smashed against the girl’s chest as she stood in the middle of the Kura rice fields. Even though it was a little cold, it still felt pleasant to her. At the same time, the warm and glorious sun shone through the nearby trees and the clouds ahead. She loved how it felt free, and yet, so peaceful even though the noise she could hear was so loud. The girl looked at the clear, and yet, unclear sky that looked down onto the land, and the sun that was glistening onto the surfaces of the fields ahead, reflecting onto the clear, translucent water. The cool breeze fooled around with her hair as it travelled around in long-awaited freedom. It was carrying Spring’s fragrance.

“Hara, come here! The cronises are coming!” A voice called the girl.

“I’m coming!” With emotionless eyes, Hara glanced back at the horizon one last time, and made her way back from the Kura rice fields.

On the other side of the Kura fields, right beside Mehrong Lake, lived a young boy. This ‘boy’ wasn’t strong or powerful, but instead, was feeble and weak. Because of this, his father was ashamed of him, therefore forcing his son to train with dangerous weapons, such as swords, axes and much more. But other than this, on his fifteenth birthday, this ‘boy’ discovered his power ability. Byun Baekhyun’s power, was teleportation.

                                                                  

With sweat beaded on his eyebrows, Baekhyun decided to stop training with the axes. With a great grunt, he helped himself off the ground and started limping towards Mehrong Lake, which happened to be adjacent to his home. With of course, his trusty little black wolf demon, Saemi, trailing behind him.

As the Mehrong Lake appeared in his sight, his mouth crept up into a small relieved smile and he jogged up to the lake, diving into it in the process. The cool water hit his warm, sticky and perspiring body and a sigh of comfort escaped from his lips as the chilly water swarmed around his body, cooling him down. But soon after a while of relaxation, curiousness developed and took place, for something had caught his eye. He squinted his eyes and groaned in annoyance as something reflected the sun’s light into his eyes. He heaved back up onto the shore of the lake, crouched down and patted Saemi’s head with his wet hand.

“Stay here, and don’t follow me. Ok Saemi?” He spoke softly. Saemi nodded obediently and fixed her position on the surface of the dry land. He smiled with twinkling eyes.

“Good girl.” With that, Baekhyun glanced back at the item with curious eyes, and strode back into the lake, to reach the object that was continuously poking out of the water, undisturbed. As he moved closer and closer, he could feel a powerful force circling around the object, which made him want to touch it. His hand reached the object and his palm landed on its cold surface. As soon as he felt the object, a rush of adrenalin went up his body and he gasped as the powerful energy ran across his arms. As the feeling soon but slowly wore away, he began to tug and pull onto the end of the object and with little time, the object stood up in his hands from the water, revealing a silver sword. He gulped as he stared at the magnificent structure of the heavy weapon, which glistened and gleamed in the sunlight. With great pride of his finding, he struggled to the dry land and plopped himself onto the ground. Saemi approached Baekhyun and sat down next to him. He glanced at Saemi and opened his mouth to speak.

“Look at this Saemi!” He said as he showed her the sword. But soon, something caught his eye and he brought the sword close to his face to get a better look. It had a carved empty ring on the handle of the sword and another carving of a sphere inside of the ring. *I wonder what that’s for…do you attach something to it?* Baekhyun thought, but soon got interrupted as Saemi wheezed and pointed her nose at something.

“What’s wrong?” Baekhyun gradually followed her gaze and found that she was looking at some small words engraved into the sword on the side. He glanced back at Saemi with wide eyes and looked back at the engraved letters. He pinched his eyebrows together as he tried to read what it said.

To whoever holds this sword, will have great power standing beside them.” Baekhyun ran his fingers across the engraved words and raised an eyebrow as he tried to understand what it meant. But quickly gave up and shrugged his shoulders.

“Let’s go Saemi, we don’t want my father to get mad now, do we?” With that, Baekhyun stood up and walked towards his home.

                                                                  

 “Hara! Come here!” A middle-aged woman beckoned Hara to take a seat in front of her.

“Yes mother?” She answered as she gradually took the seat.

“Would you like me to tell you your future?” Hara nodded with a beaming smile and scooted closer to Gertrude. It was a normal thing for her mother to read her future, since it always made her feel safe. She closed her eyes as her mother placed a warm hand over her forehead. Gertrude closed her eyes also, until she could only see the vibrancy of black.

An image appeared out of the darkness. She saw Hara travelling to the other side of the Kura fields searching for something. She began to see the whole journey of Hara’s future in a matter of seconds. Tears started streaming down her face as her hand fell beside her. Hara slowly opened her eyes to see what was wrong and gasped as she saw her beloved mother crying. She quickly stood up and shook her mother’s shoulders furiously.

“Mother! Why are you crying?!” Gertrude looked into her eyes and opened to speak.

“I was supposed to tell you this when you were older, but, I-I’m n-not your mother.” Hara abruptly stopped shaking the woman’s shoulders and her eyes widened by the second. It was like an anvil had been dropped onto her heart and splattered it.

“W-what did you say? No! It can’t be! I’m your daughter!” Tears began to form in her eyes as she continued to shake Gertrude’s shoulders.

“Tell me you’re my mother!” She wept.

*Hara, I know you can read my mind, I’m not your mother. I’m sorry.* Gertrude’s eyes softened as Hara dropped her hands from her shoulders with tears streaming down her flushed face. After a moment of crying, Hara finally appeased and the woman in front of her began to tell her everything. How she was the royal maid who served the king and queen. How she took Hara in when the war ended. How Hara, was one of the two heiresses to the Tsubasa throne, and how she had to save the kingdom before the worst.

Hara took in each information that was exposed to her quietly. But inside, everything was the total opposite, to the point where she even wanted to break down. The woman cupped Hara’s face and smiled with blurred, teary eyes.

“I believe in you, Hara, to make things right, for you, for me, for all of us. I trust you to take care of yourself. You’re 15 already. Now listen carefully to what I say.” With that, Gertrude placed her hand on Hara’s forehead, closed her eyes, and began to see the future once again.

“A boy lives on the other side of the fields and he has Tsubasa’s sacred sword. His name is Byun Baekhyun. Find him, and persuade him to fight and help you along your side. Once you’ve succeeded, you must go to Tsubasa Castle and free the other heiress, your elder sister, and defeat a...” Gertrude’s eyes flashed open with a dreaded expression.

“Oh no….no no no…” She said quietly. Her eyes widened and she shook Hara’s shoulders violently.