Kim Jonghyun of SHINee - 2:03 A.M.

To Krystal, With Love

D-5 to Krystal's birthday

Jonghyun is just about to turn in for the night; he’s had a tiring day.

He has already brushed his teeth, snuggled himself into bed, and closed his eyes.

And then his eyes snap open and he scrambles to turn on the light and look at a calendar.

It is the 24th of October and that makes Jonghyun grin.

He then proceeds to fish around his room for his cell phone. His roommate, Taemin, comes into at the room at that moment. “What are you doing, hyung?”

Jonghyun beams as he holds his phone in his hand; he was victorious in finding it. He spares a glance to his maknae before he flops onto his bed. “I’m going to call Soojung. It’s her birthday today.” He grins mischievously as he looks at Taemin from the corner of his eye.

His reaction doesn’t disappoint. The maknae backtracks and leaves the JongTae room, blushing and muttering things about “what should I say? Should I call her too?”

Jonghyun laughs and looks at the clock and notices with a frown that it is two in the morning. But he figures that f(x) is probably up partying right now and that it should be okay to call (even if it wasn’t okay, he would call anyway).

As he listens to the phone ring, he contemplates what he should say to her, what he should wish for her.

As her figurative brother, he wishes for a lot of things for her.

Jonghyun wishes that she would take better care of herself. He knows that she always pushes herself, saying that it’s okay, that she needs to get better. But she worries the people around her, the people that love her so much. He wishes that she could see just how much he adores her, how much Jessica loves her, how much the rest of f(x) would do anything for her. (He also wishes Soojung would notice his maknae’s feelings- it is getting kind of ridiculous at this point.)

I wish that you could see just how much everyone loves and cares for you.

She deserves to know.

He knows all about the hate that his little Soojung gets- and he hates it. It brings her down and he gets angry when he sees her sad, almost in tears. He almost frowns, thinking about how she acts strong. He sees the hurt in her eyes, the unshed tears.

Krystal is well aware of what some people think about her, how some people hate her so much.

But she fails to realize that more people love and adore her than she takes note of. So many people care for her, but she can’t see that. She is too busy proving the people that hate her that they are wrong about her.

Jonghyun was not wrong about f(x) partying at two in the morning. He hears her pick up her phone and his ears are immediately assaulted with loud laughter and even louder music.

He automatically smiles and his voice is obnoxious and boisterous. “Happy birthday, Soojung ah!”

“What?” she says. He snorts- she can’t hear him over the loud music.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SOOJUNG AH.” he shouts.

“Thank you, oppa!” she shouts back. Her voice sounds happy and he loves that.

Stop pushing yourself so hard- you worry people. You worry me.

The music is suddenly lowered and he hears Amber say, “Jonghyun hyung! You better hurry up with that phone call! Krystal made us turn down the music so that she could talk to you.”

He quirks a little smile as Krystal says, “You’re missing out on the best party in the world, Jjong oppa.” He just knows that there is a little smirk on her face and he can’t help but smile.

“Take care of yourself, baby Jung. Don’t go too crazy now.” he says this in a teasing voice, but he is completely serious.

“I’m not a baby anymore, oppa!” protests Krystal, laughing as Victoria shouts back that she will always be her baby.

Jonghyun always teases her about how much she needs him and relies on him- but he knows that he needs her just as much. “You know I love you, right?”

There is a shifting noise and Jonghyun knows that Krystal has just nodded. “I know, oppa.”

“You know that everyone loves you, right?” He asks, gentle smile on his face. Don’t pay attention to the people that don’t matter, to the people that bring you down.

Krystal scoffs a little bit and is quick to retort with, “That’s not true.”

Jonghyun disagrees. “It’s true.” He cuts her off before she can say another word. “You’re surrounded with people that love and care for you. Those are the only people that matter. Hence, they’re everyone.” Focus on the people that love you. Turn around, anytime and anywhere, and someone will be there for you, Soojung.

She laughs a little bit at the cheesiness, but says, “Thank you.” Krystal is grateful to Jonghyun; he always knows what she wants (needs) to hear.

“Happy birthday, Soojung.”

--

I love the brother-sister relationship that Jonghyun and Krystal share so much ;----;

The next chapter features L of Infinite.