Only moments to go...

10,000 Steps

The glass window was cool against her forehead as the subway hurtled through the dark tunnels. The air-conditioning was cold compared to the warm summer waiting outside. Shivering a littler, she pulled her sleeveless jacket closer to her body, mentally trying to dispel the goose bumps that were covering her arms.  For how late it was at night, Chin-Sun was surprised to see only a few other passengers.

Two school girls, only slightly younger than her, giggled over something on one of their phones, the pink Hello Kitty charms shining in the florescent light. They glanced at her occasionally, trying to peer through her heavy bangs before turning away once more, tittering behind their hands. Was there something on her face?

A few business men harrumphed a few times, shaking their news papers in an attempt to quieten the school girls. A small smile tickled her lips as she shifted on the cheap plastic chairs. Her green converse shoes kicked the suitcase at her feet as Chin-Sun tried to stretch her legs out. Japanese rock blared from her small green head phones as her hands rested once more in her lap, barely shifting the heavy black fabric of her cargo pants.    

Stomach gurgling for food, Chin-sun reached into her other bag, a heavily graphitised messenger bag, for the half a packet of Pepero sticks she knew she had stashed in there during her flight. The crunch of the chocolate covered biscuit sticks was incredibly loud in the small space. A furious blush stole across her cheeks. She tried to sink into the seat as the other occupants stared at her.

Her phone chirped in her pocket. Pulling it out, Chin-Sun touched the screen, waiting a second or two to light up with her message. Biting her lip a little, she smiled at the text and sent a quick reply. Glancing up, the two school girls stared at her from the seat in front.

“Taemin-oppa!” they shrieked happily as she watched them through her bangs.

“I think you have me confused with someone else,” she replied softly, looking back down at her hands.

“I told you, Soon! I told you she was a girl,” one said in shock, pushing at the other’s shoulder. Chin-sun blinked.

“The why did you come over here to call me another name? A boy’s name?” the other, Soon, flushed.

“You look just like Taemin-oppa from SHINee, especially when you bit your lip!” Chin-sun slowly pinched the bridge of her nose...did she really look like a guy? An obvious face palm would have offended the two to a degree she wasn’t comfortable with. She was blunt just not that blunt. A ding sounded in the cabin, followed by horribly garbled Korean.

Clearing , Chin-sun stood up with her bag in one hand and her suitcase in another. “If you’ll excuse me, this is my stop.” And with that, she walked off, leaving two gobsmacked teens whispering behind their hands.

{}{}

“These surgical masks don’t make me feel all that disguised, Hyungs,” Taemin said nervously, huddling closer to their tallest member. “How is Chin-Sun going to recognize us?”

Minho looked down at the youngest SHINee member. “That’s why we have the sign Key made.”

“But it’s in Korean! What if she doesn’t read KOREAN?! She does come from JAPAN!!” Taemin had begun to seriously panic, his voice getting louder. People stared at the group with disapproving glares, quieting the young man.

“The information we received from the family lawyers clearly listed her school reports,” Key replied, his unique hairstyle hidden with a baseball cap. “Her grades in Korean were incredibly high. I think the most we need to do is just slow down when we’re talking to her.”

“Yeah,” Jonghyung replied, “besides, don’t all foreigners learn to write their name first? I’m sure she’d be able to read that overly girly and glittery sign Key made.” The man in questions glared at Jonghyung before punching him in the shoulder.

“It’s a perfect sign!I gave it personality! You were just going to use a sharpie and white cardboard. Mine is eye-catching!”

“I was going to use a purple color-“

PINK IS FOR GIRLS!” Key almost shrieked, but started to flush as the rest of the group started to snicker at him. “You’re all a bunch of CHILDREN!” he pouted, adjusting his pink and black leather jacket.

“Yeah,” Onew whispered to Minho out of the corner of his mouth, “we’re indistinguishable from the rest of the people here.” Taemin looked as though he was about to faint. The youngest of the group had been up all night, worried to nausea. Placing a supportive hand on his shoulder, Minho stood next to him quietly, not wanting to add to the craziness the others seemed to bring with them.

 

{}{}

 

Please forgive my Korean if it is not correct. I've only just started learning. Anyway, I really hope you're enjoying this so far. Please leave a comment or subscribe :D Your comments and subscriptions are inspiring.