IV. Confession

Confusing Me: "Luhan's Hobo Style"

 

 

IV. Confession

 


 

"Is that Kyungsoo guy part of your band?" You ask Luhan about Kyungsoo as you the two of you walk away from the bar.

 

That Kyungsoo guy is apparently the boss of this group. After discovering that Kris had cooked honey bread for Sulli and I, Kyungsoo flipped out at everyone especially Suho. He punished Kris by making him clean the restroom and told Suho to clean the kitchen and do the dishes for not keeping Kris in check. Then, Kyungsoo's irritated sparks were spread to the other group members.

 

Chanyeol and Sehun were kicked outside with shovels in their hands to snow the path to the bar. Jongin and Sulli were forced to cleaning the bar tables and rearranging the chairs. You and Luhan? The two of you were handed a grocery list and thirty thousand won. Grocery shopping with Luhan. Ugh.

 

Luhan shakes his head and sighes. "He's a freeloader living in the attic of the bar." Shivering from the cold, he hugs himself and looks over at you. "Jongin found him on the street, and Chanyeol asked Kris if he could live in the attic."

 

You nod understandingly, not meeting him in the eyes. 'I guess they didn't think Kyungsoo would end up ruling over them like that.'

 

"The mart is up ahead." Surprising you, he grabs your arm and starts running towards a large green building. "It's cold. Hurry."

 

You obey, slightly hesitant about the sudden contact, but do not mind even as his hand slips down to your own hand. By the time the two of you step through the automatic sliding door of the large mart, your fingers are intwined, and you can't help but admit it makes you a little nervous and curious.

 

"Let's see," but the contact is short and his hand leaves yours cold and awkward as he pulls out the grocery list and reads over its contents. You stuff your hand into your jacket pocket, hypothesising that skinship for the boy is a casual act. Don't think too much into it. "First, we should pick out the vegetables."

 

You blankly follow Luhan around the mart as he busily drags a cart and thoughtfully inspects all the items on the list. He looks like he's used to the job, checking for the hardness of fruits and expiration dates on packages. Kyungsoo probably sends him on errands like this often.

 

'Why am I even here at three in the morning?' You attempt to remember why you are stuck with him in the first place and dig through your brain, not paying attention to the shopping at all.

 

Only after twenty minutes, the deed is done, and the cashier is slowly checking out the groceries and Luhan, staring meaningfully at the golden haired boy. Luhan seems completely unaware of the flirtatious batting of her eyelashes and flashing of her shy smiles.

 

For some reason, this makes you proud yet uncomfortable. Wanting to show off to the girl behind the cash register that you knew such an incredible hunk, you purposefully strike up a conversation. "Are you sure that's everything?"

 

Luhan stares at me curiously, since this is the first time you have said anything since the two of you entered the mart. "If you were paying attention, you would know. I couldn't find the cayenne pepper, but we got everything else."

 

You mouth a little 'oh' and glance over at the cashier who is now firing angry but wondering glances at you, obviously calculating what kind of relationship you have with him. You don't know what gave you the confidence, but you grin smugly back at the girl who looks away and returns to scanning Luhan's glorious face.

 

"The total is 31,200 won please." She recites to Luhan.

 

"Uh." He hestates and looks over at you. "Kyungsoo only gave us 30,000."

 

You raise an eyebrow, giving him an 'what do you want me to do about it' look.

 

"You got any money?" He askes innocently.

 

That sounds awfully familiar. Oh, that's what he asked you back in the subway when he took your ring.  Finally remembering why you are with this boy, you raise an eyebrow. "That reminds me--"

 

"Nevermind. I got some." Immediately, as if realizing what you are about to bring up, Luhan answers his own question and digs through his pocket. "One thousand two hundred won right here." He hands the cashier and contiuously mumbles to himself, not giving you the chance to go one with the ring topic.

 

Lifting all four of the plastic bags, two in each hand, he heads towards the exit without even waiting for you.

 

On the way back to the bar, you stare at the back of Luhan's head and bring up the topic about your ring again. "You know..." Slowly, you open your mouth. "About the ring..." Luhan pauses in his steps, and you, caught off guard, almost collide into his back.

 

He turns around and stares into you eyes with a peculiar mix emotions apparent in his eyes. Cautiously he opens his mouth as if ready to say something but closes it before walking forward again. 'What was that for?'

 

"Um..." The look he gave you bothers you, but you aren't about to give up. Until you get a housemate, you have to pay for the rent to your apartment complex by yourself, so you need the ring for the money. "The... ring... I need--"

 

"My mother passed away three days ago." Third time, Luhan interrupts... wait, what? "So I've been drinking for the past couple of night, and last night I passed out in the subway." Without looking at you but slowing his pace to match yours, he mumbles almost inaudibly.

 

'W-What's with this sudden confession? I only wanted the ring back.' Feeling a little awkward at the change of atmosphere, you roll your eyes to the ground and stare at his feet. The sole of his tennis shoes are worn out and loose.

 

"When I woke up and saw you,"--he takes a deep breath as if holding back a wave of emotions he couldn't possibly control--"you reminded me of my mom when she was younger." Then, he releases a silent cough.

 

Hm? Your gaze return to his handsome face, and you see that he's staring at you. His cheeks are chilled by the winter breeze into a shade of deep pink, and something about how your own image reflects in his glazed eyes tugs painfully at the side of your heart. You can't bear to continue the eye contact and break it off, staring back down at his worn out shoes.

 

"You still do." Luhan continue, and you can feel him still watching you. "So I took the ring, thinking I would be able to see you again if I did..." He trails off into a whisper and you can nearly hear him smile a little. "And I did."

 

You had no idea. There was actually a reason he took your ring? The inside of your mind is completely fuzzled and in a mess. What are you suppose to say? How are you suppose to act? Should you pat him on the shoulder and tell him 'it'll be okay' or 'I'll be your next mom.' You just aren't natural with this comforting business.

 

Well, you can't just not say anything after such a tense confession.

 

"What's with you two?" A deep playful voice disrupts your thoughts. "Are you two on a date or on an errand?"

 

It's Chanyeol, the tall bandmate.

 

You hold back the urge to bow and thank him for saving you from such an awkward situation.

 

"What are you doing here? Did you finish shoveling the front?" Luhan is completely unfazed by Chanyeol's appearance. In fact, it looks like he expected it.

 

"Yep." Chanyeol cheerfully replies, taking a couple of plastic bags from Luhan's hands. "You two were taking forever, so I came out to make sure the two of you weren't lost and turned into human popsicles."

 

Now that you realize it, Luhan is carrying all the loads.

 

"Hurry. Kyungsoo's burning the kitchen down again." Chanyeol announces, dragging Luhan towards the bar in a hurry.

 

'Don't leave me, you guys...' Tightly wrapping yourself up against the winter chill, you chase after the two boys.

 


 

Luhan... What does your mom look like?