Chapter 16

My Brother's Girlfriend

"Are you sure you have everything with you?" TaeYeon nervously asked as she bit her nails. KangIn sighed loudly as he pulled his luggage to the door. "Do you have enough money?"

"Yes babe, of course I do. Trust me, I'll be fine. I'm not going to die, it's just a week anyway." He hugged her tightly in reassurance. KangIn was leaving on some business trip - so he says - and he would be gone for the whole week. After letting her go, KangIn walked towards me and DongHae, "Hey, do you guys mind taking care of her? Make sure nothing happens and so on. She's been acting kind of weird lately for whatever reason." I nodded and focused my attention back to the television as he walked back to the open front door. 

"Are you sure you don't want me to come to the airport with you?" She had asked this three times in the past hour already. He said a simple 'yeah' and rolled his bag out. "Bye, I'll miss you." I couldn't help but look at the two, and from the corner of my eye, I caught them during their goodbye kiss. Sigh, right. TaeYeon stood at the doorway until I heard the elevator's bell ring. "Well, he's officially gone now." I could hear the disappointment in her voice even sitting a room across from her. TaeYeon dragged her feet back into the dorm.

"Don't worry," DongHae grinned slightly, "You have a whole week off to do whatever you want now." He patted the space between us on the couch for her to sit on. "Or we can just hang out while he's gone. We don't have anything to do." She made her way towards us and sat down. As a reflex, I found myself moving away from her. Ever since that night, I've tried my best to avoid any types of contact with her - besides the times we had to hang out because of KangIn. It was a lot more difficult then I thought it'd be. 

"I guess, but I feel like I'd be bringing you guys down... I mean, as your brother's girlfriend, I shouldn't be forcing you guys to do this for me."

I glanced at her for a couple seconds, wanting to say something like 'Oh, it's okay. I love being with you when I can.' but decided on just a shrug.

"... Right, well... Did you guys have any plans tonight?" DongHae stared at me, as if he was waiting for me to respond. After a slightly longer than wanted awkward silence, he responded:

"Nope, just a lazy night for the both of us. I'm about to make dinner, you want to stay over for a while?" The small figure beside me nodded and DongHae flashed another smile, "Alright, you guys stay put, I'll call you over when I'm almost done." He happily jumped up from the couch and quietly slid into the kitchen. We both sat apart on the couch, letting the t.v. fill in the silence, and I leaned back and took a sip from my beer. Ever so often, I notice her eyes shift from the screen to me. Each time, I began to grow more and more irritated. For what? I had no idea. 

 

"What's your problem?" Her  voice surprised me. It was a tone I'd rarely heard from TaeYeon. She tried her best to whisper but it came out as a hiss. "Why are you being like this?"

Without even looking at her, I smirked. "What do you mean?" My eyes were on the screen but I could hardly comprehend what was playing. The cool beer touched my lips again as I took another sip.

"You've been ignoring my calls, and every time we're together, you barely look at me. Did I do something?" How did she notice these things? It wasn't like I was her boyfriend... "If I did, can you please tell me?" DongHae dropped a pot in the kitchen and made a loud crash.
"It's okay! Sorry about that." He yelled out. Both of us ignored him as we continued to heard him shuffling through the cupboards.

"No, why would I do that?" My voice was dry and sounded very monotone. "You didn't do anything, so forget it." I took my last chug and stood up. She followed me then grabbed my elbow just as I was about to round the corner.

"Don't lie to me, you've been acting so cold and I've been worried." TaeYeon looked right in my eyes and had a frown on. She was talking so soft I could barely hear what she was saying. But her hand caused an electric current that ran up my arm. I jerked it a little too violently away and she had a pained expression. "What..?"
"Please don't touch me, you have a boyfriend who loves you very much. If you're going to stay for dinner, then you should be very careful of what you do." I saw my words pierce her heart. Where did these harsh words come from? I wasn't this person. A tear formed from her right eye, and rolled down quickly. "Oh my God, TaeYeon. I didn't mea-"
"No, it's okay. You're right!" She managed a slight smile but it fell just as quickly, "I shouldn't be like this, especially with my boyfriend's brother..." TaeYeon wiped the tear from her cheek. Instinctively, I reached out for a hug but she walked around to see DongHae. "Sorry, I just remembered I was suppose to meet up with my friends tonight! I'll call you later and reschedule, I'm so sorry."

I turned around and saw the light shining on one side of her small frame. DongHae's voice wavered, "What? Are you sure? I'm almost done." I was in the dark, so he couldn't see me from where I was standing. "Are you crying?"

"Yeah, something happened with.. My friend, so I'm sorry but I have to leave now. I'll text you tonight, okay?" He managed an 'okay' and she turned back around to walk out the door. I was about to stop her but she walked around me and grabbed her things.

Right as she was about to leave, she twisted her body towards me, "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I had no idea, and I'll try my best to not be like that anymore. Maybe I'll see you soon, I guess. Good night, LeeTeuk." And just like that, she left our dorm.

 

What did I just do?