Patrolling Wonders

Mirai
Please log in to read the full chapter

“It’s a good thing they’re asleep already,” said Grandma Meisa, referring to the children, who were in their bedrooms after the birthday party. They first went quiet after partaking in the family’s singing contest, and the adults found them, fast asleep, at the side, so Mirai, Maki, and Kazuya tucked them in their beds. Grandma Meisa grabbed a nearby napkin and cleaned the nearby area before placing her arms on top of the dinner table.

Maki joined her at the table. “I thought you wanted us to come home early for Mirai’s birthday.”

“That, and today’s discussion relates to the kids. Haruma already knows about this…and he’s also agreed to it.”

“What if we disagree?”

“You guys won’t get to. I’m just informing you.”

It must be serious if she won’t let us help decide. Mirai braced herself for the news.

“The kids will live with my friend next week,” blurted Grandma Meisa.

*

“Yuto, is something bothering you?” Ryosuke asked as the four of them head to their rooms. “I’ve gotten word that you were sort of down by the riverbank.”

Umika smiled with a confusing look. “Yuto-san? Our Yuto-san not happy and having problems?” She looked at Yuto. “Doesn’t look like it.”

Yuto smiled back as he faced them and walked backward. “Of course, it’s not me.” He happily bragged, “I’m happy-go-lucky Yuto! That’s my motto!”

“Then I’ll believe you on that,” said Ryosuke, ending the conversation.

Yuto turned back to walking forward and paced his steps. Looking down and with a toned-down voice, he asked, “Ne... Could you ever forgive someone who couldn’t save you?”

Ryosuke immediately recognized this question. It was the question the elderly lady had said that Yuto had asked her. Why is he asking this? Is there someone he wants to save? He looked at Yuto, whose back was facing him. He is worried about something. “What’s up with that question?’ He feigned innocence.

Yuto stopped in his tracks, and his friends saw him grip tight on his sword. “That person doesn’t deserve to live...right?” He ended the conversation with a slight yet hurtful smile that left his friends in silence, in confusion, and unsure of what to do or say.

*

“Matsumoto-sama! Matsumoto-sama!” A servant rushed to a huge and spacious room, and two maids outside the door opened the slide doors, but a long thick veil acted as a barrier to not let anyone see his face. “This is urgent news, Matsumoto-sama.”

“Speak of it,” Matsumoto-sama ordered.

“Mayu-sama is nowhere to be seen! There is no trail of her and her belonging!”

He chuckled. “And why is this of urgent news? She’s garbage. It’s better that she’s gone. No, it’d be better if she were dead!”

“But, Matsumoto-sama, it is rumored that she has left to hide among the standings.”

“Let her be. Let her be.” His unseen smirk behind the curtain showed how much he didn’t care. “A product born and wasted my time of being thought of as ‘The One’ deserves a death punishment like her mother!” He inhaled. “If anyone sees her step back in here, dispose of her immediately.”

“Hai!” The servant stood up, getting ready to leave.

“Is Hideaki setting out what we’ve planned?”

The servant bowed once again with respect. “Hai. He’s currently confirming all the necessities and will request your audience once he’s ready.”

“As expected. You may go now.”

As the doors slid closed after the servant left, a young lady entered through the veil.

“What is it?” questioned Matsumoto-sama to her.

“You’re sending out Hideaki-sama again?” she asked.

“Of course. He does his job perfectly…and he executes them wisely.” He pulled her toward him, and she landed on his lap, pushed him down, mounted him, and pressed her upper body against his. “Is my work making him not pay attention to you, Yani?”

Yani grinned and his neck, up to his ear, down to his cheek, and then to his mouth as she ground her lower bottom against his with heavy breaths. Then, with one hand caressing , her other hand caressed his broad chest as she kissed him.

When he opened his mouth to accept hers, his tongue turned into strands of living organisms that swarmed around her tongue.

Getting into the heat of the affair, she struggled to take off his clothes while he calmly undressed her, taking his passionate time to feel every inch of her body. Showing her bare chest, they pulled apart from the kiss, and she finally got the chance to undress his lower part. With both fully undressed, they engulfed in what any beast went crazy for—mating. She mounted him again, inserted him deep into herself, and moaned in a great sound—a sound she wailed so loud that the maids outside looked down in awkwardness. Soon, the wet and slippery sounds of their intertwined bottoms emitted heat, and the sensual and short gasps added more to the excitement.

He cupped her bare s and on them, making her quiver with ecstasy, and she tried her best to hold in her passionate moans. He faster and harder into her as he her body whole and tightened his grasp at her waist. One of his hands d one of her s, and the other hand played with her other free opening, and she flinched in lust as she came close to ing. He flipped them around and got on top of her for more control of their body movements. However, thanks to this, he didn’t see a certain shadow creeping in.

The maids outside sat up straight and panicked in front of their one-man audience.

Have her all you want…because I’ll get something bigger. Hideaki smirked and walked away as the of his wife and Matsumoto-sama got louder and passionate. Soon, I will take over this place!

*

“Obaa-sama,” said Mirai as everyone headed upstairs to sleep. “Can I speak with you?”

Grandma Meisa nodded and sat back down on the table closest to where Mirai was. “What is it, my child?”

“Lately…I’ve been having faint smells of…” I don’t know how to call it…or describe it.

“It’s the smell of a demon.”

Mirai nodded to imply that she was correct.

“You’re wondering why you can smell them if you’re human?”

Mirai nodded again. “I’m not a brand or a possessed, so it could only be one possibility.” I’m a demon.

Grandma Meisa patted her on the head and pulled her in for a hug. “Dear child. You are not a demon.”

Mirai looked up. “Then what am I? Can this be my birthday present? Can you tell me what I am?”

“WWWAAAHHH!!!” It was the sound of a girl’s voice accompanying the falling.

Just then, Haruma was seen jumping down from upstairs to outside. He looked through the window and said to Mirai and Meisa, “I’ve got this.”

They watched him grab the young girl almost his height and drag her away.

“Haruma—” Mirai was about to go after him but was stopped by Grandma Meisa.

“What is your name?” the elderly lady asked.

Mirai confusingly answered, “Mirai…”

“What does it mean?”

“The future,” Mirai answered confidently.

Grandma Meisa smiled with satisfaction. “I’m sure you were named ‘Mirai’ for something great and wonderful. That’s what you are… The future. ‘The One’ for our future.”

As the girls hugged, they didn’t realize someone was listening.

It was Maki, crouched at the top of the stairs. She had secretly listened to their conversation. I guess it’s starting now. That’s why Grandma and Haruma are having the kids leave. They can’t let the kids see her suffer. She stood up and headed to her room, and as she passed Kazuya’s, she stopped and faced his door. May you always stay the protective big brother to Mirai…no matter what happens...Kazuya.

*

“I don’t get what happened in there.”

“That’s none of your business,” Haruma said to the young girl. “I’m not a demon slayer, but I won’t hesitate to break off the heads of anyone who may be a threat to us.”

The girl smiled and provoked him. “Don’t you mean whoever may be a threat to ‘Mirai’ since she’s the future?”

He didn’t laugh along with her, so she stopped.

“Oi, don’t be so mean to me. I saved your life.” She hopped to him. “Besides, we’re one of a kind.”

He backed away. “We’re not. Female Black Tengu are accepted, but male Black Tengu aren’t.”

She came closer. “That doesn’t mean I’m like them. Ne, does that mean that this ‘Mirai’ doesn’t know that she’s—” She stopped speaking because he grabbed a hold of her small-sized neck compared to his hand.

“Don’t ever into our business again…” he growled. “It’s best for you to stay away.” He let go of her and walked away. “Don’t show your face to anyone of us.”

Pouting, she shouted, “Fine, I won’t show up as a Tengu then. I’ll just show up as my human self—Mariko.” She flinched and nervously smiled when he glared back at her for the unnecessary joke.

*

Haruma closed the door behind him and saw that only Grandma Meisa was sitting alone at one table. “Why aren’t you asleep?”

“Haruma…it’s time,” she said, quietly, and he waited for her to continue. “It’s time I continue my Demon Slayer days.”

*

Mirai woke up from her nightmare. This time, it wasn’t the repetitive dream she usually had. This dream was much clearer. Too clear. Still afraid, she looked around her room carefully for the man that showed up in her dream, who stared at her as a little Mirai in the dream kept on running for her life. Her heavy breathing stopped when she realized she was safe in her own house. Swallowing hard, she mustered enough courage to open the window to let the airflow in and out. After taking a deep breath to calm herself down, she grabbed her washcloth and headed out of her room to wash up.

In the hallway, she bumped into Maki. “Gomen.”

Maki stopped her and put her hands on her shoulders. “Mi-chan, what’s wrong? You’re pale…and sweating a bit too much for spring.” She touched her forehead. “You sick?”

Mirai shook her head. “I’m fine. I was just hot yesterday.”

“Really? I was so cold yesterday.”

“You didn’t close your window, huh?” Kazuya popped out of his room with his own washcloth. “Knowing you, you’d probably die of the cold weather.”

Maki stumped over to where Kazuya was with an angry face but suddenly changed her expression. “Oi, Kazuya!” She started touching him all over. “You’re sweating too!” She looked back and forth between Kazuya and Mirai. “The both of you are as pale as a ghost!”

Mirai took a good look at her friend. He’s sweating much more than me though. “Kazuya-nii, are you okay?”

Kazuya nodded. “Yeah. My blanket was a bit too thick for the night.”

Maki laughed. “Ha! Now, who’s going to die?!”

“Kazuya-nii, you can wash up first,” offered Mirai. “I think I’m going to go downstairs to get a drink.”

“Mi-chan!” Kazuya called out, and Mirai turned around and waited for him to say something. “You—! You…”

“Want me to also get you a cup of water too?”

Kazuya paused, hesitating, and then nodded.

“Sure. It’ll be ready when you come downstairs.” She headed down.

Maki exhaled. “Did you really want water?”

He nodded, vehemently.

She let him be and left him to go back to her room.

He waited until Maki closed her door before walking to the bathroom and closing the door behind him. He faced the mirror. The little girl in my nightmare…looks like Mirai.

*

The shop’s not open yet? Mirai noticed that their shop’s sign wasn’t properly switched from CLOSED to OPEN, so she headed to the door to change the sign, but Haruma stopped her.

“It’s okay,” said Haruma. “We’ll be closing the restaurant for a few days.” Maybe even months.

“Haruma, now that you’re a bit better, will you leave again?”

“I’m not going anywhere anymore.”

She smiled happily and jumped into his embrace.

“But I’m still hurt.”

She pulled away from the hug. “Ah, gomen.”

A knock at the door grabbed their attention. It was Ryosuke and his gang.

Do I say, ‘Good Morning’? Ryosuke stared at her at the door.

Haruma said to them. “Our shop will be closed for a few days. Grandma Meisa isn’t here too. She’s with your King.” Then he left them to go to his room.

Grandma’s seeing Jin-sama again? Mirai pondered.

“Umm, is it okay if we enter?” asked Yuto. “I kind of need to use the restroom.”

His friends looked at him.

“What? I didn’t need to go until now.”

Mirai moved aside and widened the door, and they entered. “Head straight, and it’ll be your fourth door on your left.”

Yuto nodded with gratitude and scurried to the bathroom.

“Make yourselves comfortable.” She went into the kitchen and moments later, she came back out with a cup of water to give to Kazuya upstairs and didn’t bother to look at the trio.

The Royal Demon Slayers were left alone on the first floor.

Yuto came back and sat across his friends. “I wonder why they won’t open the shop. Do they need their grandmother to do so?” His rhetorical question wasn’t answered and was interrupted when a loud and excited conversation happened upstairs.

The Royal Demon Slayers couldn’t do anything but listen.

From upstairs, Maki was making a ruckus. “Yes! I like grandma’s idea. We should do this more often! No, we should do this every day!”

Kazuya gave her a look. “And where are you going to find the money for it?”

Maki smiled as if she had gotten it all worked out. “We’ll have you work for it, of course.”

“What’s going on?” Seishiro and the kids opened their bedroom door. They were still sleepy and had woken up due to Maki. They came to the teens and said, “Ohayou.”

The trio greeted them back. “Ohayou.”

Maki pushed Kazuya to the side and grinned at the kids happily. “Oi, no time for sleepyheads! Go get ready, and let’s go on a food-shopping spree!”

“Food-shopping spree?” asked the kids.

“Haruma just said that Grandma wants us to shop for food to cook for tonight’s dinner! ‘cause we’re having a huge banquet!” Maki proudly tapped one of her pockets, which had a thick envelope. “And she’s given us a huge sum of money.”

“What are we celebrating, Maki-nee-chan?” Kanon asked.

“I don’t know. But it’s okay. Whatever the reason is, we’re eating big!”

*

“Move?” Jin-sama almost dropped his cup of tea. He wiped the spilled tea with his hands. “Move?! Where? Why? When?! For what?!”

This time, Ueda-san could join them. More specifically, Grandma Meisa had asked Ueda-san to do so, and the younger man was pleased.

Grandma Meisa rolled her eyes at her exaggerated friend’s questions. I should’ve known he’d bombard me with these questions. “I told you about ‘The One’ right?”

He nodded.

“It’s the reason why I kept moving from place to place when I was exiled.”

“But how is it harming you now?” He moved his cup away. “My men can help you.”

“We were safe then. Now…wherever we are, they’ll know.” She brought her cup up and shook it gently to mix it. “No one can save us. Not even my children.” But one. And it’ll be a bloody sacrifice.

“They’ll always know? Impossible! They may be demons, but…they-they can’t do that.”

“They can. You know that demons can smell other demons.”

He nodded and then joked, “Ah, y

Please log in to read the full chapter