Break-out Stake-out

Mirai
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was late in the evening, the sun had set halfway already, and the group was still walking and hadn’t come by anyone or any place. Around them were only colors of nature.

Kazuya turned around to the group walking behind him and Mirai. “It’s getting late, so we’ll have to camp here tonight.”

“Now?” inquired Yuto, pointing to where he stood. “But it’s still bright out.”

“It’s much safer to set up when there is a sufficient amount of light to guide us. But I say we should camp deeper into there.” Kazuya pointed to an area with weeds and dead grass. “It doesn’t belong to anyone.”

Mirai and Kazuya exchanged glances, and then she made her way over to where she and Kazuya would set up camp.

Ryosuke stopped her. “Where are you going?”

She faced him. “We’re outside the palace, so you don’t need to worry about me striking the king without your knowledge.” She walked away, and a furious Ryosuke tried to follow her, but Yuto stopped him.

“It’s okay, isn’t it?” said Yuto. “And she’s right. We’re far from Heisan, and she’s under our noses.” He glanced behind him to look at the other two of his friends. “Let’s set up too.”

*

Yuto grinned as he paced around the campfire. He and Umika had stayed behind to fix their accommodation while Yuri and Ryosuke were tasked with finding their dinner. Ryosuke had wanted to stay to keep track of his targets—who were lodging quite a distance away from them—but since he had lost in a game of rock-paper-scissors, he had no choice but to go with Yuri, the other loser.

“It’s been so long since we’ve had outdoor meals like this with just the four of us!” exclaimed an excited Yuto. “But what’s taking them so long? The riverbank’s just down that way.”

Umika giggled. “Catching fish isn’t easy, Yuto-san.”

He pouted. “That’s right. It’s a game of patience.” He sat down beside her. “But they need to hurry. The sun’s gone, and it’s way past dinnertime. Hurry up, slowpokes.”

“Try catching fish yourself,” said a bitter and exhausted Ryosuke heading their way with Yuri.

Yuto and Umika looked behind them and smiled when they saw their friends with plenty of fish staked on the boys’ swords with blood dripping down the handles. The friends cleaned the fish and laid them on banana leaves and placed it over the campfire to cook. The friends were enjoying their time together until a question turned the event sour.

“Where are they?” asked Ryosuke, looking around.

“They?” asked Yuto.

“Mirai and Kazuya.”

Yuto and Umika finally recalled their other task—they were supposed to keep a close eye on Mirai and Kazuya since they were the ones staying behind. Somehow, they had forgotten about them and had focused on surviving the night.

The friends looked around them and saw no sign of the duo, so Ryosuke reached for his sword as he gritted his teeth.

Umika stopped him. “I’m sorry, Ryosuke. I-I forgot about them.”

Yuto got up and tried to persuade his young friend. “It’s late now. Where do you plan to find them?”

“I’m heading back to Heisan,” said Ryosuke. “It only makes sense that they—”

“Guys,” interjected Yuri, “there’s a bigger problem.”

Everyone eyed him and saw him looking to his left at something on the ground.

Yuri pointed to it. “It’s around us.” He was referring to what looked like white powder, and the white powder looked deliberately sprinkled in a fine line. As he followed the line with his eyes, he realized the line’s ends connected, making a circle around them. He looked at Umika and Yuto. “Were you aware of this?”

Umika and Yuto shook their heads.

“It wasn’t here when we were here, right?”

Ryosuke shook his head. “It can’t be. We made a thorough search and scan before we camping here. This circle must’ve been done when no one was present.” He looked at Umika and Yuto. “Did you guys leave the spot at all?”

Umika and Yuto nodded and clarified that they had left the area once to gather wood for the fire. They then again expressed their regret for not having one person stay behind.

Ryosuke bent down and touched the white powder and confirmed that it was powder, but it wasn’t flour as he had thought. He tasted it, but there wasn’t a taste to it.

His friends read Ryosuke’s mind and stopped him before he could gather the powder for another taste session.

“Since we don’t know why it’s here and who did it,” said Yuri, “it’s best we do nothing to it or with it.”

“It’s obvious that it targets us,” growled Ryosuke. “And it’s obvious it’s from them. Otherwise, they’d be here.”

Yuto sighed. “We don’t have to worry about it.” He sat back down and flipped his fish. “Come tomorrow morning, we can begin our search.”

“Yuto-san,” said Umika, “you’re not scared or worried at all?”

“Not really. If the white powder really posed a threat, none of us could’ve stepped in and out of it. I stepped a foot out when Ryosuke was tasting it, and nothing happened. Then I stepped out, and nothing happened too. So, I think we can be rest-assured that this white powder thing is harmless.” He looked at Ryosuke. “As for Mirai and Kazuya, since you believe they’ve headed back to the village, we can head back tomorrow morning.”

“I’m not waiting that long,” said Ryosuke, gathering his stuff. “By morning, who knows what could—”

“But what if you’re wrong?” challenged Yuto. “What if they want us to think that they went back to Heisan but are in the next village?”

Ryosuke didn’t know how to answer.

“Let’s wait ‘til the sun’s up, then we can search for any clues they may have left behind. If anything, we can then go back home and explain the situation to Jin-sama.”

A pause followed their conversation.

“Yuto’s right, Ryosuke,” said Yuri. “If they had gone back to Heisan, they would’ve bumped into us because they’d have to come across the riverbank anyway. But we didn’t see them.”

Yuto blinked. “Oh, that’s right. The riverbank’s that way too.” He subtly pointed to the right.

“Even if they went back to Heisan for whatever reason,” continued Yuri, “we’ve got our fathers to protect Jin-sama.”

Ryosuke took a deep breath and scanned the area where only darkness was around them. “We’re leaving tomorrow, guys.”

*

After the tense atmosphere regarding the powder and the whereabouts of Mirai and Kazuya, Yuto had been trying to make the night a pleasant one. He had told funny jokes, showed off his slapstick comedy, and bugged his friends to no end. At last, he had settled down for a discussion of their pre-demon slayer days.

“That’s right, that’s right!” he laughed. “You had a girly face when you were a kid, and that’s why you wanted to be a Demon Slayer ‘to be tough like the boys.”

Ryosuke turned coy. “Th-that’s not it.”

“Oh, then why? You never enjoyed being a Demon Slayer, and whenever your dad took you to train, you’d cry. Oh! It’s ‘cause of that girl we talked about last time, isn’t it?”

Now, Ryosuke was pink with embarrassment.

“That reminds me, Ryosuke,” continued Yuto. “The Hanami event’s this week. If we finish our mission in time before it starts, you’ll leave us again to find her yourself?”

All eyes were on Ryosuke, and Ryosuke nodded without hesitation.

“But you always come back without her,” added Yuto. “And what’s the point of finding a person you think is a figment of your imagination?”

Ryosuke raised a brow. He thought he had confessed it only to Umika, but when he saw a flustered Yuri and Yuto, he knew the two boys had eavesdropped.

“He dragged me,” confessed Yuri, pointing to Yuto.

Yuto grinned. “It wasn’t intentional. I was interested too, but she beat me to it.”

Ryosuke took a deep breath. “No matter how long it takes, I’ll never stop looking for her. I want to see her again. What I had with her felt so real. And-and I can’t help but think it’s real.”

Yuto saw his friend’s crestfallen expression and knew the pain his friend was feeling. Even if I can’t touch you, seeing you is enough… Ayame.

*

Kazuya huffed and panted as he quickly sprinkled the white powder around them after having gently placed a motionless Mirai on the ground, who was exhausted after casting a barrier to protect the Royal Demon Slayers and themselves from unwanted demons in the area. He plopped to the ground to catch caught his breath. It had been a while since he had had to help cast a barrier because it had always been Grandma Meisa. He had tried to persuade his friend to not worry about the Royal Demon Slayers but knew that she wouldn’t feel assured if she didn’t do anything to keep them safe.

It was moments like this where he wished his friend had a heart of stone.

*

The sun had barely risen, and the early birds hadn’t sung a song, yet the Demon Slayers were up and going. They had less than four hours of sleep but didn’t let it get to them. They made sure to have a good start of the day, which was breakfast. After eating their leftovers, they prepared to head back to Heisan.

“Heading back already?”

The Demon Slayers turned around in surprise at the voice they didn’t think they’d hear—Mirai and Kazuya’s

Kazuya smiled at the Demon Slayers. “The morning dew is—”

“Where were you last night?” growled Ryosuke, eyes only on Mirai.

“Asleep,” Mirai answered casually.

“Where?”

“I don’t have to tell you.” She turned around and started walking. “Let’s continue. We should get to our destination by noon or early evening.”

Umika came to Ryosuke. “They must’ve camped elsewhere. It’s probably why we didn’t see them.”

“That’s the only explanation,” added Yuri.

The four friends dragged their feet behind the duo as they watched the duo converse quietly between themselves. Then the duo stopped walking, and Kazuya scurried to the Royal Demon Slayers.

“I will head to our destination first,” he said to them. “Mi-chan will stay behind with you.”

Ryosuke stole a glance at Mirai, who stood gracefully and looked to the side. He noticed she seemed blanched and tired, and he wondered why.

Kazuya then ran back to his friend and patted her head and left.

The group continued to walk and encountered a hill and saw rice paddies nearby. Trees of all colors of spring greeted them, letting the group know they were reaching their destination soon.

When a slight breeze blew their way and carried dust, Ryosuke raised a hand to cover his face as he turned to the side. Squinting, he saw Mirai unbothered about the situation as the wind played with her black hair.

Mirai, on the other hand, as she passed by each colorful spring tree, was reminded of her childhood friend, Momoka. She wondered if the friend would remember or would at least recognize her, but her mental answer made her break into a disheartened smile. Her friend wouldn’t want to see her since she had left her friend to die. She closed her eyes and replayed the last memory she had of Momoka—the little girl getting thrown in the air in the opposite direction in the place they shared before little Mirai out.

“Mirai-san?”

Hearing her name called her back to reality.

It was Yuto. He and his friends were ahead already.

She cleared and followed them.

*

By nightfall, they had reached their destination. They passed inspection at the entrance and met up with Kazuya, who had prepared their lodgings.

“All the inns are full because of the upcoming Hanami festival,” said Kazuya, “so I could only book three rooms for us.” He looked at the Royal Demon Slayers but especially at Ryosuke. “I know you’d like for us to be on the same floor, and that has been taken into consideration.” He led the group to the inn he had chosen, took them upstairs, and showed everyone their rooms. “Yuto-san, Yuri-san, and Ryosuke-san have this room,” he said, pointing to room 15. He pointed to room 16. “This is Umika-san’s room.” He pointed to room 17. “And this is our room.”

“O-our room?” stuttered Yuto as his eyes boggled back and forth between Kazuya and Mirai.

“Mine and Mi-chan’s.”

“But-but you two are…”

Kazuya understood why Yuto was flustered, but to him and Mirai, it was normal. They were used to sharing rooms because they were family. “I had thought of separating Mi-chan and me due to your suspicions, but if I were to do so, that’d mean Mi-chan would share a room with Umika-san. But would you like that? Would you be okay with your friend sharing a room with someone you distrust?”

Yuto scratched the back of his head awkwardly. “Th-that’s true. What you decide now is perfect then.”

Kazuya bid them goodnight and followed Mirai to their room.

Yuto looked at his friend. “Even if they are family, they’re not blood-related. And to sleep in one room…together…”

“That’s not our problem,” said Ryosuke. He looked at Umika. “If there’s anything you need, come get us.”

Umika nodded, and the boys opened the door to their room, but she stopped one of them. “Ryosuke. Can I have a word with you?”

Ryosuke told his friends to set the beds and went off with her.

Once Ryosuke and Umika went downstairs, Yuto looked at the disappointed Yuri. He asked, “How long has it been?”

“What?” said Yuri.

“Since you’ve liked Umika-sama.”

Yuri stepped inside the room.

Yuto followed him and closed the door behind him. “He doesn’t see her that way.”

“...I know.”

*

“Umika,” began Ryosuke once they were outside the inn. “Is something the matter?”

“I want to tell you why I’m here.” But she paused. “Not as Umika-sama, the princess. Not as Umika, your friend. But as Umika, an ordinary girl. If I asked you… If I asked you to…”

*

Morning arrived, and it was a unanimous understanding that the group would get together after breakfast.

“Now that we’re finally here,” began Kazuya, “our next step is info-gathering. We’ll go around town and ask, ‘Do you know where the Sakura rose petals bloom?’ If anyone answers, ‘In the village of the King,’ that’s a good start. Try to get more information, specifically where and when their next meeting’s held.”

“What’s up with the questions?” asked Yuri.

“Nagisa said the questions are their way of knowing who’s involved since not anyone can join.”

“We’ll meet up again in the evening and share everything,” added Mirai.

“See ya,” Kazuya waved to the Royal Demon Slayers and then to Mirai, and everyone slowly dispersed following Kazuya.

Mirai went off her way but knew that she was tailed by none other than the one who suspected her. Though she’d prefer him to be more passionate about the problem at hand than about her, she did nothing and acted as if she didn’t know. So long as he wasn’t bothering her or making trouble for her, she would mind her own business.

“You have a fine katana there, young lady,” said a vendor, grabbing her attention. He was a blacksmith showing off his countless work of fine blades. “We have katana too.” He waved a hand over the display of his katana.

Mirai looked at them and then at her katana. Her grandmother always told her to never part from her katana nor to use it, and she wondered why. Since she was forbidden to use her katana despite carrying it everywhere she went, she might as well buy one that she could use. She walked to the display, observed each katana, and found interest in a katana with a black handle and a thin blade. It was similar to hers. She reached for it.

“Touch,

Please log in to read the full chapter