Just a Girl

That Badass Kind of Love

 

Woohyun runs a hand through his hair, in frustration. What was he thinking? He shakes his head, kicking at the ground. He jerks his foot away, now sore from hitting a rock hard. Woohyun sighs, bending down and massaging his toes.

"Why am I so angry?" he mumbles. "They're just girls."

He gets up and continues on his way home, still very much pissed at how short his and Ah-Ri's friendship was, and the fact Ah-Ri hurt him so much today, both physically and emotionally—

Emotionally. The word clings to his mind, his thoughts attempting to shut it out, yet it remains stubborn as ever.

He sees the same streets he crosses every day, the house he lives in nearing. As popular as he is, his life is pretty boring compared to others. He had only wished to make it 'exciting' and in doing so, broke the heart of Naeun and ruined a friendship.

'Damn,' he thinks, stepping onto his porch.

He looks into his pocket, trying to look for his keys. He checks his back and front pockets, but he doesnn't have them. “Ah, …” he mutters darkly. Remembering everything he did today, he figures it had fallen from his pocket sometime earlier.

Woohyun mentally slaps himself. Collapsing on his lawn, he continues to stare at the sky, wondering if he really is living his life the way he wants to. He tries making himself feel better by saying he is the king, but it doesn't do much other than make him feel even worse. Breaking girls’ hearts, ruining friendships, being a ; this is the life of Nam Woohyun. Whether he likes it or not, he’s the one who chose this life, and he’s sure it isn’t going to change soon, new girl in school or not.

He might have said, “I don’t care,” to several girls—no, more than that—in a year, yet it was all a lie. In all honesty, it matters to him how they feel, if they feel the same awkward, almost grade school attraction as he did to them.

He pushes himself off the ground, heading for his front door. Woohyun knocks halfheartedly, barely making a sound against it. He sighs, trying again in vain.

"Dammit," he curses under his breath, thumping his head against the panes of the door.

He constantly bangs on it, harder this time. "Hello? Mom? Dad? Are you inside?" he yells. He turns around to the sound of a car pulling into his driveway, finding his mom pushing the door shut as she tilts her head at time.

“Woohyun? Where are your keys?” she calls, already knowing the answer as she digs into her bag for her own key.

"," he swears quietly enough so she wouldn't hear him. "I...I lost them," he admits guiltily, frowning. He folds his hands together as he approaches his mother, who had a worried look on her face. "Some stuff happened, and I guess they fell out and..." he tries explaining, still attempting to rid his mind of Ah-Ri and Naeun and all the problems that he indirectly and--okay, maybe even directly--caused.

"You need to start keeping an eye on your stuff." His mother sighs, opening the door as she shakes her head.

Woohyun runs to his room to sort out his thoughts before his mom can ask him anything. Of course, she eyes him suspiciously, but she doesn't say a word as he flees upstairs.

Inside, Woohyun flops on his bed, relishing and missing how soft it was. He frowns and shakes his head, rolling over to stare at the ceiling. His look slowly turns into a glare, burning through it until he eventually groans and threw a pillow at it, which fell back on him.

How many things exactly had gone wrong today? First humiliation, second being beaten by Ah-Ri, the list could go on. He sighs. “Why am I so worried?” he asks himself quietly. “I shouldn’t even be thinking about this…or her, for that matter…”

He has always told himself that when he worried that the problem was just one little thing, something that would never affect him in the future. Yet as he tries the same thing with his thoughts concerning Ah-Ri, he finds his concern for the situation plummeting even further. "Just a girl, just another girl," he repeats, tugging the cases off his pillows in frustration, then putting them back on.

"It's nothing to worry about, Woohyun," he declares. "She's. Just. A girl."

"Woohyun! Food's ready!" his mom calls from downstairs. Unwillingly, Woohyun gets up and heads downstairs. He sits down in his normal seat like he does every other day at dinner time. His mother places his dish in front of him, but Woohyun just stares blankly at it, lost in thought, trying to get Ah-Ri out of his mind. His mother, connecting his strange behavior, questions him, her brows furrowing.

"Woohyun," she starts, peering at him curiously. He doesn’t respond. Sighing, she repeats the question, but louder. "Woohyun! What's wrong, son?"

"Huh?" Woohyun breaks away from his daydreaming.

"I said, what's wrong? Did something happen in school?" His mom asks, crossing her arms and tapping her fingers on her forearm.

"Nothing, mom, nothing," he tries lying. As mothers usually are, however, she sees right through his charade. She frowns at him, waiting, her whole face practically tying a ton to Woohyun’s body and throwing it in the ocean.

"Okay, okay, we have a new student," he admits, raising his hands palms up.

She raises her brows, not seeing why he should feel so out of sorts. "Well, it's the first day, of course there would be—“

Woohyun shakes his head, cutting her off. "Yes, but no one knew the kid before," he says, stressing 'knew' to make a point.

His mother frowns with disapproval. "Please, Woohyun, I am your mother, don't cut me off again." She shakes her head again—what is it, the hundredth time?—about to turn around. "Anything interesting about him?" she asked boredly.

"Her, mom." Woohyun looks up at her. "The new student's a GIRL."
"What?" His mom stares at him in disbelief. “What are you talking about? This is an all-boys school!”

"Yes, mom. There is a girl on an all-boys campus,” he confirms, as though he is announcing that the world would blow up the next day.

‘I think I know what’s happening here…’ she thinks, lips threatening to twitch up into a smirk. "Oh. Did you talk to her at all today?” she questions innocently. A little too innocently, actually.

"Well, mom. if you want to know, I have all the classes with her." Woohyun groaned, propping his head up with his elbows.

"All the classes?" she parrots, crossing her arms. "Sounds unlikely, but..."

"I don't know, the system probably glitched, or something!” he tries to explain, even though he himself has no idea how that could have happened. “ Every. Single. Class."

"Are you and her on friendly terms?" the mother presses on, drumming her fingers on her arm again. This new student, this girl, is obviously a constant thought on her son’s mind.

"We were on good terms for like, what, three seconds? I just don't know what happened. All in one day she hated me, then was friendly, then the next moment she hated me again. It's driving me crazy," Woohyun complains.

"Why?" his mom says, her lips finally breaking into the slightest of smiles.

"I don't know. I really don't know mom,” he answers, sounding hopeless.

“Ah.” She begins to grin, scaring Woohyun. Mothers are not supposed to grin like maniacs after hearing the woes of their children. ‘I know exactly what’s happening here.’

"Mom, what are you--"

"You know, when people your age worry about others like this, it usually means that they have feelings for them," she muses, eyes flickering to her son every now and then.

"W-What?! Mom, why would I like a girl who wants to tear me apart?"
"The heart works in odd ways Woohyun,” she chimes, covering as giggles spilled from her lips, sounding like a teen watching her favorite celebrity on the television.

"Don't mess with me mom. I don't like her. It's just that I'm…confused," Woohyun tries convincing his mother.

"Confused about what?”

"She's..." he makes vague gestures with his hands, swinging them back and forth. “Weird." At his mother's narrowed eyes, he elaborates. "I like her and all, she seems to be an alright person, but... She's so defensive, and different, and it's just..." He gives up, throwing his hands down.

"Weird?" his mother ends for him, sighing.

"Yeah, weird. I've never really met anyone like her.” Woohyun sighs. 
His mother lets out a slight laugh, smiling, remembering how her husband didn't like her at all when they were younger.

"Listen Woohyun, I'm your mother, so I can this. So listen." His mother sits down next to him and puts her hand on his.

He tenses, eyeing her with suspicion, but leans forward to listen. "Yeah?"

"Sometimes, people end up having...feelings for the people they think about all the time, even when they think otherwise," she says, a smirk growing on her face. How proud she is, seeing her little boy grow up and fall in love!

Woohyun just stares at her, jaw dropped. "Seriously mom?" he replies, slipping his hand from her grip.

His mother just laughs and pats him on the back. "Who knows? Just eat your food for now. Hurry before it gets cold." With that, she exits the room, grinning to herself until her cheeks begin to hurt.

He ends up actually considering her words, but not before glaring at his mother's back as she left. The boy grumbles, prodding at his food with a fork until it hardens. Frowning, he manages to slice it into somewhat edible portions, the whole time wondering what kind of relationship he and Ah-Ri actually have.

"One moment, she's a , the next, a total dream," he mutters. “…and they all over again.

The rest of his meal is spent in complete silence. When he’s done, he just drags himself over to his room, never dreading school so much as right now in his entire life.

He doesn't understand. He just doesn’t. "Just a girl, just a girl, just a girl," he begins to repeat over and over again. His lids droop over his eyes, tiredness about to claim him to sleep. Woohyun ignores the uncomfortable fact that he is still wearing his uniform and welcomes its embrace, all the while whispering, "Just a girl..." in a barely audible whisper.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: 

ITY ! I'M SO SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING. ;_; i've just been going through some personal problems lately, and its the holidays~ I tried updating before Christmas, but personal problems came up again :( Hope this update helps you forgive me (: Love you Subscribers ! Comment, Subscribe, Vote Up, Share ! c: 

Love,

Skydragonshipeeerrrs