Chapter Seven

Stained Tears

 

Jae Joong knew he was being followed, he wasn’t a fool. Their footsteps could already be heard ever since he stepped out of the house but he decided to feign ignorance and played along.

He took out his car keys from his front pockets casually and pointed it towards the direction of his black Chevy. Slowly, he sauntered over towards it and reached out his right hand to pull open the driver’s side door.

From the rear-view mirror, he caught quick movements passing among the 4 tall and burly guys in suit. They were moving in on him hastily, probably still oblivious to the fact that he was aware of their presence.

Jae Joong waited up until the very last second and just before the first guy could grab his arms, he spun around swiftly and took his attacker by surprise.

He expertly twisted the man’s arms around and gave him a hard kick before proceeding on to tackle his next opponent who was fast approaching him from the left side. Jae Joong’s elbow was quick to hit him right in the gut, sending him tumbling backwards a couple of steps.

Before he had the chance to catch his breath, he saw another grim looking guy charging towards him with a gleaming object in his right grip, the sharp end pointed right towards his abdomen. Without hesitating a second more, Jae Joong’s right leg went up and kick it away from the man’s grasp before another leg reached up and hit his rival right on the chest.

Just a second before his two feet landed back on the ground, Jae Joong took out a handgun from the back of his jeans in one swift movement and pointed it at the last man. The latter who was about to try his luck, froze in his tracks and held up both of his hands defensively.

“Don’t.Make.Me.Shoot.You,” he said breathlessly, staring his attackers down hard, one by one. The injured party started to stand up slowly, backing away in fear when they realised that the black piece was aimed directly at them. And judging by Jae Joong’s expression, he was not joking about really pulling the trigger if he had to.

“Go,” he told them curtly, hardening his gaze on their scurrying figures as they followed his instructions reluctantly.

After ensuring that they had really fled the scene, Jae Joong threw open the car door and slid in the driver’s seat tiredly before slamming the door shut once again.

With his chest heaving up and down heavily, he took out his cell phone and punched in his number 3 speed dial. He only had to wait until the second ring before her soft voice filled his ear comfortingly.

Ignoring the sudden racing of his heartbeat, he spoke into the phone seriously.

“I need to see you now.”

 

“You want me to what?”

“Live with me,” he replied casually, leaning back against his seat as he did so. Taking a sip of his iced latte, he shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly. “What’s the problem? I have a spare bedroom. It’s not like we’re going to be sleeping together.”

“N-no,” Ji Eun stuttered, averting her eyes away from his gaze in embarrassment. “But is it really necessary? Why can’t I just stay at the place I am living in now?”

Jae Joong inhaled exasperatedly before answering her question.

“Because it’s easier for me to look out for you. I don’t have to constantly call on you every now and then to check if you’re still breathing. And this is just temporary. At least...until I get to the bottom of things.”

Ji Eun wrapped her fingers around her hot chocolate cup and held on tightly to it. If it was Jae Jun...she probably wouldn’t have such a hard time agreeing to it but could she really trust his twin?

“Well, you can always stick to the way things are now. Being alone most of the time, not knowing when they are going to come for you...”

“Okay fine!” she jumped in before he could finish his sentence. She saw a small smirk tugging at the corner of his lips the second she agreed to his plan. “Alright, I’ll trust you. But I just have one question though.”

“Ask away.”

“Why are you doing this? You...you don’t even know me. It wasn’t even you who saved me last time.”

Jae Joong fixed his stare on her, boring his eyes into hers as he leaned forward in his seat and nearing his face towards her slowly. It was making her uncomfortable but she didn’t know why she couldn’t bring herself to take her eyes away from his face or even move an inch from her place.

It was like, she was frozen in time; hypnotized by his immense stare.

“You’re wrong Lee Ji Eun...” he said softly. “I know everything about you.”