Chapter 3

Childhood Romance.

 

“MinJi-ah, this is the cafeteria that the three of us hang out often after school. It’ll be the four of us now!” HyoNa mentioned while giving a big smile as soon as the four of you found a seat in the café.

Time passed quickly as the four of you were talking about stories from your childhood. Of course, you told them about Byunghun, your childhood buddy and first love. You were glad that they were willing to hear it. Then you guys went on talking about your classmates, about how childish and dorkish they were.

“There, we’re done with everyone,” EunSon expressed happily.

“Aniyo. There’s still someone. L.Joe,” you remarked.

“Ah, ne. L.Joe,” RyeJin replied.

“We don’t know much about him. He was a transferred student as well; he came here around 2 to 3 years ago. He kept everything to himself and seldom communicated with us. We tried talking to him, but after some time, everyone gave up. To be honest, we were surprised when he actually responded to you. “You’re welcome” and “See ya”, he did not say any of these to us before,” your eyes widen, as you heard RyeJin.

“Who knows, you might be someone important to him.” EunSon joked.

“Haha, maybe he finds me attractive and wants to be friends with me,” you joked back. “Then does he always stay in class after school?” you asked curiously.

“Yeap, always. Every day, without fail. It seems like he’s waiting for something.” HyoNa answered.

You nodded your head upon hearing her answer, and went on talking about something else. After a while, we bid goodbye to each other and parted ways.

“Aish, L.Joe.. He really reminds me of Byunghun. Byunghun used to be anti-social and often looked out the window during lessons too. Wait, what if they.. No way. It can’t be it. If he really is Byunghun, he’d come forward and talk to me, right? He’d probably hug me too,” you smiled foolishly to yourself while thinking about the scene, not knowing that a car was coming close to you.

“Honk honk! Honkkkkkkkkkk!” You snapped out of your thoughts after feeling a strong light shining on your left.

“Hey, watch out!” You felt a pair of arms pulling you away from where you’re standing and your head landed on that person’s chest.

You hugged back unknowingly after having a familiar feeling in you. It felt like it wasn’t the first time you’ve hugged this person.

“Ah, Byunghun-ah! You’re back! Do you know how much I’ve missed you? Please don’t leave me ever again,” these words came out of your mouth uncontrollably while you were crying.

 “Y-ya! I-I’m not Byunghun,” his arms forcefully pulled you away from him as soon as you heard those words.

You realized what you did, and kept apologizing while bowing to that person.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that. I’m sorry, really sorry.” You lifted your head up. “L.Joe..?”

He looked at you and walked away.

“Ya! Shouldn’t you at least say “it’s alright” or “don’t do that again next time, it’s dangerous”? Why do you have to be so cold to everyone? Why do you have to ignore everyone that talks to you?” Those words escaped your mouth before you knew it, and it stopped L.Joe from walking.

“Oh . MinJi-ah! What did you just do?!” You mumbled to yourself.  

“Why do you care so much? Who am I to you? I just knew you today, and to me, you’re just someone who doesn’t know her way to school. And she doesn’t have the right to know the answers to those questions asked so just shut up and get lost,” he replied and continued walking.

You quicken your pace and started walking beside him.

“Ya! Do you have a poor memory? I’m your classmate, and I’m your partner as well! Doesn’t that give me enough right to have those answers? Everyone wants to be your friend, I believe that they do, but why do you keep pushing them away?”

“No, I don’t. My memory is better than yours, you know that. And no, that doesn’t give you enough right. What do you know about my life? Do you know what I’ve been through? You don’t know anything, so stop acting like you do. Can you just stop bothering me, please? I said please.”

“Alright, I’m sorry! I just wanted you to open up and make friends with our classmates.”

“That’s the problem with you, why do you keep saying sorry even when you’re right? When will you know how to stand up for yourself? It has been like that since youn-” he stopped.

“Since young? You knew me years back? You-“

“No. I don’t. Stop thinking so much. Just leave me alone now," you got cut off by him.

“Okay! See you tomorrow then!” you stopped walking, but after a while, you continued walking in the same direction.

After 5 minutes, L.Joe noticed that you were still behind him.

“Ya! Why are you still following me?” he turned around and asked, looking annoyed.

“Dude, you gotta relax! I’m not following you. It’s just that my apartment is in this direction too. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to follow you.”

L.Joe realized he was in the wrong, but quickly rebutted, “Gosh, you seriously have to stop saying sorry! It’s my fault this time; I’m supposed to be the one apologizing, not you!”

“How am I supposed to change it when it has already become my habit?! And what’s wrong with apologizing? It makes the other party happy, and it reduces trouble as well,” you replied.

“Ah, whatever. Walk in front of me, so that I know you’re not following me,” he responded back.

You walked in front of him, and in no time, your block was in sight. You turned back, wanting to tell him that you’re reaching home, but you realized that you were the only one walking along the street all the while.

“Aish, that guy! He really pisses me off. Shouldn’t he have said goodbye before leaving?!” you rolled your eyes and headed up.