Five

Will You Be My Dongsaeng?

 

Another Monday.   Aargh!!  I feel so upset and tired and lazy and sad about going to school again, I almost move myself to tears and towards going into stubborn mode and just staying in bed no matter how much everyone tries to get out of bed.  (If you don’t know me, I can be REALLY stubborn.) 

As I am pondering over my choices, a light bulb goes off in my head.  Oppa.  Jeongmin oppa.  He might be looking for me today in school!!!  I cross my fingers in hope that we go to the same school.  I don’t know why, but I feel that we just clicked the moment we met.  Sure he made me cry and all but that was by mistake and he tried to make me smile again.  That’s it.  I’ve found my reason to go to school.  (Not that grades aren’t important and all but who really likes going to school when they are the new kid?)

After about another 30 minutes after I got out of bed, I am ready to go to school (ewwwww -.-).  “What’s wrong with you?  Are you sick?  Appo?” Yoseob oppa asks as he moves his hand to my forehead, the other hand holding a toothbrush to his mouth.  “No oppa.  I’m not sick,” I say as I swat away his hand.  “It’s weird but I actually feel like going to school today.”  At this statement, he looks even more alarmed.

“This is not the girl I know.  Who are you?  What have you done to my Nabila?!?!” he shouts dramatically while shaking me.  “Ewww, oppa!!  Gross!  You’re getting toothpaste all over me!!” I shout over his outrage, wiping the toothpaste away.  “Oh, sorry,” he says as he looks down and starts to walk off, trying to look innocent.  “I’ll let you go this time!” I shout as he speed-walks off.  Yeah he better run.  Run before I pound him into a pancake, I think.  I imagine him flat as a pancake with a smooshed head and flat face and just have to laugh.  *sigh* oppa.  He lets me have my moments.

 

*    *    *    *    *

            As I arrive to school, I realize I’m still smiling.  Oh well.  Nothing wrong with that right?  People give me the usual side-ways glance that I ignore, not having a care in the world at the moment.  I have my iPod headphones in my ears listening to this song called Do.  I forget the group though but I must say the song is really catchy.  Who showed it to me again?

Nadia.  That’s the first name that comes up in my head.  My best friend ever since we were babies.  Sure, I’m older but only by a few months.  “Hey Nabila!  Listen to this group!  They’re new but they are so cute and I think you might like them!”  Yup.  That’s what she said.  But I forget which group.  I scratch my head and mess up my hair in a frustration but I finally give in to my memory loss.  Oh well.  If I don’t remember them, that means I didn’t like them that much, I think as I resign to my grandma mind.

I do do do do do do do, do do do do do, I mouth as I keep walking with a bounce in my step from the music.  Suddenly, I somehow hear running feet through my headphones (surprising because I don’t have the best hearing).  I stop in place and sure enough Sylvia comes slowing down next to me.  “Wow.  How do you know to slow down whenever I’m around?!” she says in a surprised way.  “Lucky guess I guess,” I say as I keep walking.  She walks along with me.

“So, how do you like school?  Are you doing okay?  Making friends?  Having fun?” she asked as if shooting bullets of questions.  “Hmmm, lemme think,” I say as I rub my chin in mock thought.  “Well, school but it always has.  Um, I’m doing okay I guess considering that I am used to being treated like a freak.  I have made friends, you for one.  Aaaaand, no.  I’m not having fun as I just said school .  How’s your life?”

Sylvia would have stood in silence if we were standing but we’re walking so she walks in silence.  Yup, that’s me.  I’m a party pooper and I am sooo not proud of it.  “Sorry if I make my life seem miserable but I like to be straightforward,” I say lifting my hand to the back of my head (it’s a habit of mine for when I start to feel guilty).  “I used to joke around with my other friends like that before.  We used to ask each other ‘how’s life?’ and then say all the bad things about it and then ask the same question again,” I say smiling, trying to erase the awkward moment.

Sylvia looks up, an evil smile tickling her lips.  “HA!  Fooled you!  My friends and I do that too!!  We sometimes say inappropriate things too but yeah, basically we do the same thing,” she says laughing.  I laugh too.  All the nervousness from the awkward moment comes out in a nervous laugh that turns into a real laugh.  I play punch her.  “Beep!  I thought you were serious!” I say as I start to laugh again.  What can I say?  Laugh gas has spread!!!

 

*    *    *    *    *

 

            For some reason today, the school day has gone by really fast.  It’s days like this that remind me how life goes by really fast and suddenly comes upon the day one dies.  I don’t feel like having such gloomy thoughts so I just look up at the beautiful, heartwarming sight of green, healthy trees against a blue sky with wisps of cirrus clouds.  Simply beautiful.  For some reason, this very sight makes me feel as if my heart will burst with happiness.  I love that feeling even though it almost suffocates me.

            As I walk along, I hear someone call my name.  “Nabila!!!!”  Hmmm.  That voice sounds familiar.  As I turn around, I am attacked by a bear hug coming from a tall person who is fairly fit.  I freeze in the surprise from this attack.  As the person pulls back, I realize it’s a he and he has familiar brownish-reddish hair.  I finally see his face and break into a smile.  “Jeongmin oppa!” I say as I give him another hug.

            He laughs in a joyful way as he sees me recognize him.  “See?  I told you I would find you and now here I am!!!  Wah~, I’m so happy we go to the same school!  I’m gonna see if we can get the same schedule.  That way, we can spend time all day long!”  I look at oppa, confused now.  “You can do that?” 

“Yeah, if I wanted to and I do!  You can do that too you know.”

            Wow.  Daebak.  Cool!  Power to the students!  I smile.  Maybe this school isn’t as bad as I thought it would be.  Suddenly, a car speeds by.  We are showered from a puddle of water that I did not notice.  Like the gentleman he is, Jeongmin oppa tries to cover me but it doesn’t work well.  The car stops and like the first time, a dude comes out.  A tall one.

            Jerkface!! I scream in my head.  It’s the same guy from the first time.  Minwoo.  As my eyes narrow, I try to shake some water from me and wipe the rest.  “What is wrong with you?!” I yell enraged.  “You did this to me the first time and you do this again?  What is wrong with you?!” I ask again as if it can make a difference.  I don’t care if he answers or not, I gotta get this anger out.  Minwoo gives me the weirdo look I know so well and walks by, ignoring me.

            “Hyung, is this your new friend?  Don’t be friends with her, she’s a little…” he says as he ends the sentence while whirling his finger next to his head and whistling.  Crazy?  Is that what he’s calling me?  Wait a minute.  Hyung?  “Is he your brother?” I ask Jeongmin oppa.  “Aniyo!” oppa says in an exasperated way.  He walks over to Minwoo and holds him in a headlock.  “Nabila, say hello to the maknae of our friendship group. Minwoo.” Jeongmin oppa says as he gives Minwoo a nuggie.  “HYUNG!!” Minwoo groans from under Jeongmin’s wrath, pulling at his arm and trying to make him loosen. 

            “Ha-ha-ha!!  You think I’m gonna let you go easily after you sprayed me and my dongsaeng here with water?  You are so gullible if you’re thinking that.  Are you thinking that, huh, are you thinking that?” oppa asks as he gives Minwoo a harder nuggie.  “Hyung!!  Appo!!  Let me go or else I’m gonna…..tell that girl your secret!!” Minwoo exclaims.  Jeongmin opppa freezes. 

“What secret?”

“You know what I’m talking about.” Minwoo says with a grin.

Jeongmin’s eyes widen.  “You wouldn’t dare.” He says as his eyes narrow.  “Come ‘ere.” he says as he pulls Minwoo away a little by the ear.  “Nabila, stay there a little while I scold him.” he says over Minwoo’s cries of protest.

            As the two have a “heart-to-heart” talk, I look on.  It looks as if Jeongmin oppa is threatening Minwoo as he puts his hand on the back of his neck in a pinch.  Then they turn so they don’t face me and continue talking.  At one point Minwoo looks over his shoulder at me in a surprised way and Jeongmin oppa slaps him on the back of his head.

 

Jeongmin and Minwoo:

            Minwoo can’t believe what Jeongmin just said.  “Seriously, that’s her?!  Oh my god…” he says as he looks over at Nabila.  “Pabo!  Don’t look at her!” Jeongmin says as he slaps Minwoo on the back of his head.  “Aish, hyung!  Stop abusing me or I will report this as child abuse,” Minwoo says with a smile.  “Fine, but I have to look like I’m scolding you, okay?  So bare with it,” Jeongmin says with another slap.  “HYUNG!!”

“Fine, fine.  I’ll stop now.  Look, you absolutely CANNOT slip up, got it?  If any of us slip up then mission Dongsaeng is an epic FAIL.”

“I understand hyung.  But I don’t really like her so don’t expect me to warm up to her easily like you.  And also, on a serious note, stop talking like that!  This isn’t some James Bond movie.” Minwoo says with a mock serious look.

“Mwo?!” Jeongmin says as he lightly smacks Minwoo on the shoulder and starts laughing.

 

Back To Me:

            Okay, the two dudes are done with their heart-to-heart talk.  For some reason, Minwoo keeps looking at me with less of the normal coldness. 

“I am sorry for spraying you with water….again.  I am sorry about the last time too.  I would like to.... make it up to you if you allow it.” Minwoo says in a slightly robotic voice.  Well this is awkward.  “Make it up to me?  No need for that.  All I wanted was an official apology and I got that.”  I sigh.  “Are we on good terms now?” I ask as I extend my arm (my dad used to make me do this whenever I fought with someone).  Minwoo looks surprised at my hand, then at me, and then joins his hand to mine and shakes it.  “Yup, we’re are on better terms now.” He says with a smile.  Weird.  What is he planning???

“But, I won’t feel exactly comfortable without making this up to you.  So, I would like to invite you to dinner with me, Jeongmin hyung, and some of our other friends for this Friday.  Is that okay with you?” he asks with a smirk.  Hmmm.  My eyes start to narrow but mentally, not physically.  “I guess but I have to check with my guardian first.”  I would mention the orphanage but no need to tell him about that.

“Okay then!  Now we’re settled and everyone is happy!  Sorry Nabila, I would like to walk you home but I have to get home quick.  My parents like to pile a bunch of chores on me instead of on my older sibling,” Jeongmin oppa says with a disappointed look.  “That’s okay.  I actually feel like walking home alone today.  See you tomorrow!” I say as I wave bye to him and awkwardly to Minwoo.  Lemme just get out of here before things get even weirder -.-‘ .

As I arrive at home, I am greeted by the usual noisy children of home.  I hear random “Unnie!  Guess what?  We finger painted at school!” and “Unnie!  Did you get any candy for me?” and “Unnie!  Put make-up on for me!”  I reply to them respectively with “Good job!”  and “No you ungrateful thing.  Isn’t it enough that I’m home?” and “Maybe later, I’m tired.”  As I shuffle through the traffic of the hallways, I finally make it to my room.  I drop my bag on the floor with a plunk! and fall onto my bed.  Finally, peace, I think as my eyes start to become droopy.

No.  Wake up! I scold myself as I slap my cheeks a few times.  First homework, then tv, then food and tv, then sleep.  You’re not actually tired, you just want to do nothing you lazy bum.  There.  That’s better.  A little pep rally for myself where I call myself a bum.  Awesome.

I zip through the schedule I had made for myself.  Even after dinner, I decide to eat some more since my stomach isn’t full yet.  “Nabila!  Don’t finish all the food!  We don’t plan on going grocery shopping anytime soon!” the workers scold.  They aren’t really serious but I still heed their warning, just in case.

After my meals and tv, I start to head off toward my room.  “Nabila.”  I turn around.  It’s Yoseob oppa.  “You okay?  You look like you’re drunk or something…not that I would know anything about that,” he says whistling and looking away mischievously.   Oppa smiles.  “Tired?” he asks.  I nod and smile with my eyes half closed.  “Aigoo, you look like you’re about to keel over.  Come on, I’ll give you a short piggy-back ride,” oppa says as he crouches. 

I get on oppa’s back without hesitation and smile to myself.  This is the type of older brother I had always wanted.  I try to stay awake the little trip to my room but I guess I’m too bummed out.  At the point at which I think oppa is about to reach my room, my eyes close and sleep commands me to forget I’m getting a piggy-back and just let everything go.

 


Namaste!  Hola!  Aloha!

Hey peeps!  How was this chapter?  Mysterious huh -^o^- 

Wonder what's gonna happen next?  Me too!!

Oh wait, I'm supposed to know what happens o.o

Oh well!  Like I said before, the story just comes to me

and then BAM it's here!

Hope you enjoyed!

Please subscribe and comment and friend me and follow me on twitter/goolge+!!

 

Q of the Day:

What place would you go to if you had the choice to go ANYWHERE your maeum desired?

(doesn't have to be a real place ^^  also, I will post a blog about this if I remember ^^')

 

Hope you stay as a faithful reader!!

Also, how's life ;P (get it?)?

 

~Nei Nei signing off~