What's Changed?

Broken [on hiatus]

   After another long night in the hospital room, Dr. Choi gave Himchan his discharge papers, explicitly telling him to avoid any type of physical activity and heavy lifting for a few weeks. "Let's get you home," Max said smiling as she helped Himchan gather his bloody and torn clothes. He felt his cheeks burn as she picked up all of his clothes and shoved them into a bag. He tried to lean over to pick up his torn, blue button down but yelped as he felt his ribs scream out in pain. Turning quickly, Max noticed Himchan standing back up slowly as she walked over to him and bent down to pick up the shirt. "Hey, Doc said none of that, I'll help you out for now," she said smiling as she shoved the shirt into the bag of clothes. He stared into her eyes wondering why she was doing all of this for him. "You don't have to help me. I'm sure you have other places to be. I can hail a taxi to take me home," he said, looking away when Max's brows furrowed in frustration. "You, sir, are a stubborn one. I'm helping you whether you want me to or not. And how exactly are you going to get a Taxi? The mugger stole your wallet," she said, shaking her head at Himchan. He bit his bottom lip, feeling stupid at forgetting about being mugged. Sighing, Max handed the bag of clothes to Jongup as she helped Himchan walk out of the hospital.


    "Okay, the building is right here," Himchan said, pointing Jongup in the direction of his apartment building. As they stopped, Max crawled out of the front seat and helped  the more injured of the two up the stairs to his house. Carrying the bag of clothes on her bad arm, she pushed open the door with her stable hand and guided Himchan into the building. "KIM HIMCHAN! Oo-oh, I see you have company," his landlord said, smiling greasily at Max. Himchan stood in front of her, blocking Jongwoon from seeing her face at all. "Yeah, she's just helping me up to my apartment, I have broken ribs and the doctor said no lifting or working," he said, smiling at the man standing awkwardly close to him. Jongwoon nodded, turning to walk back to his room, but not before looking back at Max and Himchan. Max shuddered, feeling completely violated by the older man's eyes. Noticing her shiver, Himchan wrapped his arm around her shoulder as she led him to the elevator. Max remembered the other night she was here, the look of complete shock when Himchan opened the door and the hug that followed after. He looked down at her, seeing the shy smile twitch onto . He smiled lightly too, unlocking the door in the process. "Welcome to Casa de la Himchan," he said, motioning to his small but cozy apartment. Max smiled at the sight of his house, turning in circles to take in the entire room. "It's nice," she said, smiling at Himchan, "much more cozy than my place."  He smiled back at her before replying, "Well, it'll do, but I wish it was a little nicer." Max shook her head before looking back at the figure in front of her. "It's perfect," like you, she wanted to add, but she looked down at the ground, controlling .

    "You didn't have to come save me," he said softly, "You didn't have to help me, but you did." Himchan walked over to Max, wrapping his arms around her shoulders, pulling her into a tight hug. She was a bit taken aback by the hug, but looped her arms around his waist, their bodies fitting together as if they were molded that way. "Thank you," he whispered, his breath tickling her ear. Even though they hadn't known each other a week, there was no sense of awkwardness anywhere and his arms wrapped around her hadn't scared her like everyone elses. They stayed in that position until a voice broke through their silence. "Hey Max, are you almo- oops, I didn't mean t- uhh, I'm gonna go back to car," Jongup stuttered, quickly retreating back to his car as his heart tore, the scene flashing through his mind repeatedly. Pulling back quickly, Max sighed before letting her head fall and Himchan rubbed the back of his head, unsure of what to say. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset your friend," he said softly, staring at the ground as well. Max's gaze shot to Himchan, feeling bad about making him feel so horrible. "It's not your fault, Jongup isn't used to me being around other guys," she said, placing a hand on Himchan's shoulder. His head lifted slowly, looking at Max's soft smile. "Why?" He asked, slowly becoming concerned about the severity of Max and Jongup's relationship. She shook her head, "Nothing, if you show up at therapy, I might tell you about it," she said, wiggling her finger at Himchan. He smiled and hugged her again before walking her out the door. "I guess I'll see you on Wednesday," he said, tilting his head to the side before nodding. Max smiled and nodded back, speaking softly, "If you need anything:  help, someone to cook, ANYTHING, call me, I only have 2 appointments tomorrow." Himchan's smile dropped, remembering that things would be different now that they were going back to their normal lives. Faking a smile quickly, he waved at Max before she disappeared down the stairs. Trudging back into his apartment, he kicked the door shut, slowly laying on his bed and breathing deeply. Something has to go wrong, I feel too good right now. Dozing off lightly, Himchan fell into a deep and peaceful sleep, visions of Max plaguing his dreams.

    As Max made her way to the car she let her mind wander through the last few days. He was so scared of me leaving, but he doesn't let anyone in. It seems like he's been left in the past by someone close to him. She shook her head as she pushed the front door of the apartment building. I'm thinking like his therapist but I don't want to be, he's too important for me to analyze like that. I want to be so  much more than just his doctor. She opened the passenger door to Jongup's car and climbed in, sighing deeply as she tried to buckle her seat belt. Before her hands could even reach the belt, Jongup leaned over and grabbed the silver buckle, avoiding any kind of contact as he clicked it into place. "Ready to go home? You still have to deal with me," he said through clenched teeth as he started up the car. Max nodded and watched as Himchan's apartment building flew out of view.

    She trudged into her building behind Jongup, though repeatedly assuring him that she needed no help. After Max fell into her own bed and dozed off, jealousy began to cloud Jongup's mind as he thought about the weekend. He decided that it was up to him to save Max from anymore heartbreak. "I'm sorry Max, but it's the only way to keep you safe," he said, brushing her bangs out of her face. He reached softly to pull the phone from Max's pocket, searching for the number that had called her from that alleyway two nights earlier. Dialing it quickly, he retreated into the kitchen so she wouldn't wake up to him talking.

    The small prepaid cell phone rang beside Himchan's bed, pulling him from his dreams. Seeing the number, his heart flipped once or twice before he opened the phone to speak. "Himchan, I know I'm the last person you want calling you but there's some things we need to discuss," a man's voice said over the receiver. Confusion bounced around Himchan's head until he realized that the only person it could be was Jongup. Barely getting a sound out, Jongup started again, spewing lies into the other's brain.

    "I don't think you understand what kind of danger you are putting her in. What would happen if she were to lose her job because of your feelings? Will you be able to take her in and support her after she loses her license? I doubt that you can handle yourself, much less two people. If you really care about her, don't try to get any closer than you are. In fact, distance yourself from her so she will start to forget you. It's the only way to show that you truly care."

    It all hit Himchan in the face like a train. Jongup was right, Max was in danger of losing everything if he didn't leave her alone. What would happen if she did lose her license and hated him for the rest of her life? It would kill him inside, plus he didn't deserve a woman like her anyways. She deserves someone who could smile and be happy with her instead of bringing her down. He nodded his head sharply, deciding that starting on Wednesday he would go back to being same old Himchan. Tears ran down his face at the thought of hurting Max, but like Jongup said: It was the only way.