The First Day

Broken [on hiatus]

She glanced over the file: male, 23, 5'6", black hair, black eyes. Typical, she sighed pushing a strand of her brown hair behind her ear. She continued to read: Convicted of murder in 2010, mentally unstable, proceed with caution. Those words didn't even phase her anymore, she was a criminal therapist, why would they? She tried to smile as she walked into the room.   

     “Good morning Mr. Kim, I'm Dr. Brooks," she smiled politely.

The man looked up from where he was sitting and stared into the woman's eyes. Dr. Brooks had to calm her strangely active nerves as the man studied her every move, his perfectly pale skin shining in the sunlight. She placed the folder onto her desk and pulled her chair around.

     "So, why don't you explain why you are here?" She sighed as she sat down.

     "Don't you know?" He asked, his voice ringing out like a sweet melody but showing no emotions, "I killed that man, the one who was all over the news." Dr. Brooks was surprised by his calmness and honesty. Most of her patients either avoided the questions or remained unresponsive.

     "Can I ask why?" She asked, tilting her head to the side. The man's fierce black eyes stared into her blue ones.

     "Shouldn't we get to know each other first?" He sighed. He'd been with many therapists before, and they were all the same and he knew exactly what to say to get them off of his case. How else could he have gotten out of the asylum so quick?

     “Okay then, what's your name?" She asked quietly. He scoffed, "I'm your patient and you don't know my name?" She smiled at him.

     "I'd much rather listen to you than read a file." He stopped, a bit shocked at her answer,

     "Himchan, my name is Kim Himchan." She smiled a genuine smile, seeing the shock on his face from her response.

     "Nice to meet you Himchan, I'm Maxine, but everyone calls me Max." She reached out to shake his hand and when their palms met, both of their eyes shot up at each other. His gaze pierced straight through her eyes and into her soul, his face forever engraved into her mind. Suddenly, a loud ringtone of fast beat, heavy drums and incredible rapping broke their silence.

     "Ooh, our session is up for the day, but we have another opening for tomorrow if you'd like to schedule yourself for it," she rambled as fast as she could.

     “I’m being forced to come here anyway," he sighed, emotionless once again. She handed him his form to get out and he strolled into the lobby.

Max sat at her desk and tried to steady her heart. What was that, she thought to herself. She closed her eyes to try and breathe normally but opened them immediately; all she saw was his hypnotizing black eyes staring at her. She jumped out of her black chair and walked out into the lobby.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Himchan sighed as he walked to the sidewalk to wave down a taxi. When one finally stopped, he climbed in and leaned forward.        

     “260 Victory lane please," he sighed as he fell back into his seat. I wonder if she got freaked out, he thought to himself as he stared out the window. He pulled his phone and headphones out of his hoodie pocket and flicked the screen. After turning on some loud and heavy music, he began to think back on his day and to his first meeting with "Dr. Brooks." He remembered her scent, the very sweet, almost candy-like scent. Shaking his head, he focused back on the buildings flying by before recognizing his neighboring building. As the cab driver stopped, he threw a twenty dollar bill at him and closed the car door.

He strolled up the stairs to the door of his apartment building and keyed the number to get in. Finally making it back to his apartment after his long day, he flopped down on the couch. I should probably call my parole officer, he thought as he reached over to grab the phone.

     "Mr. Bang please," Himchan mumbled, tired of having to check in like a teenager. I wonder how old Dr. Brooks is, he thought quickly before shaking his head, vowing to not waste another second thinking about his new therapist.

     "Himchan!" A deep voice yelled into the receiver, causing Himchan to fall out of his thoughts. A quick conversation about meeting with the new therapist turned into a 30 minute lecture on not frustrating anymore doctors into quitting.

Saving him from the fatherly lecture, a knock came at his door and he quickly stood up and rushed to the door. After opening it, he wished he would've pretended to be asleep.

     "KIM HIMCHAN! I'VE WAITED THREE MONTHS FOR YOUR RENT AND I HAVEN'T SEEN ONE CENT! I CAN'T LET YOU LIVE HERE FOR FREE!" The red faced pig of a landlord yelled pushing Himchan's lean shoulder causing him to stumble backwards. He had been trying to endure this kind of punishment, and he even tried to explain but would Kim Jongwoon understand? No! Himchan sighed and tried to explain,

     "Mr. Kim, I'm sorry, No one will hire me because of my past convictions and my disability check hasn't been approved yet, but I assure you that as soon as it comes in you will get your money." The older man's face scowled at Himchan and growled in disappointment before walking away. Himchan his heel and trudged back into his apartment. Groaning, he threw his jeans on the floor and crawled into bed, too frustrated to eat.

     "But, what do you mean it's incurable?" Max asked the veterinarian before crumbling into the floor. The doctor kneeled down beside her and rested his hand on her shoulder. The contact shocked her and she flinched back before standing up, her face becoming as lifeless as a statue.

     "I'm sorry, but there's nothing we can do for him, I suggest you let us proceed with the euthanization," he said quietly. She covered her face with her hands and asked,

     "Can I see him just one more time?" The vet glanced at her and nodded slightly. Max rushed back into the room where her best friend, Joko, was resting. She walked up to the table and pet his fur lightly. He turned his head and her hand softly.

     "Joko, I'm gonna miss you so much. We've been through so much together, y'know? You were the only one who kept me sane during those tough years. I probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you," she confessed as the tears began pouring like a river,

     "You were the only one who truly loved me, and no matter what I'll never be able to find another friend like you. I know recently I haven't been home as often, but I thought about you all the time. I wish we could've spent more time together. Remember the time when the neighbors thought you were a stray and gave you extra treats until I got home? I hope you appreciated it, I hope you appreciated all I did for you. I love you, Joko, now and forever." She kissed her German Shepard's head one last time and walked out of the Vet's office, she knew she wouldn't survive burying her best friend and figured it was best to just leave.

Climbing into her black Fiat, she swallowed the lump in so she wouldn't cry again. After turning on her favorite song, she quickly drove away, just wanting to get home and drown in her sorrow.