Brain, Stop It!

Broken [on hiatus]

Himchan rolled over, his alarm blaring into his ears, and slapped the evil machine that pulled him into reality. He slumped into the kitchen after a quick shower, poured a bowl of cereal, and sat at the dusty table in the middle of the room.

A piece of paper lying on the table had caught his eye, and he picked it up eyeing the almost blank sheet. He saw a scrawled note in his handwriting, Therapy tomorrow @ 11:30. He let go of the paper, watching it drift to the ground, and tried to focus on his bowl of cheerios until he remembered. The new therapist, he puffed out his cheeks and blew the air out quickly. Something was different about her, but he couldn't put his finger on it. I'll figure her out by the end of the month, he thought with a nod, and continued to eat his breakfast.

Getting dressed quickly, he grabbed his black studded jacket and swiftly closed the front door to start his day.

     "There's something weird about you," A familiar voice said, "and I'm going to figure it out." Max turned to see a slim figure sitting in an elegant chair, almost like a king.

The room was dark, but she could see the person's face clear as day, his piercing eyes staring at her. The way the light shined off of his perfectly carved features left her confused and unable to move. His eyes, a pool of black with his gaze showing nothing, not the smallest singular emotion, but she could swear there was something else there.

He stood up and walked over to her, their faces only centimeters apart, his eyes still locked with hers. She could feel his breath fanning her face, but she couldn't will herself to turn away, or to even speak at this point. She finally lowered her eyes, but only to stare at his perfect lips. How is he this perfect, she thought while biting her bottom lip.

     "What are you looking at?" The voice said quietly, beckoning an answer. She felt his hand cup her chin as it forced her to look at him. "I know what you're afraid of," he said quietly, slowly moving closer.

She closed her eyes, wondering how perfection tasted.

Suddenly she opened her eyes as the sun shone through the window of her small apartment. With a groan she rolled out of bed and glanced at her clock. Thinking back on her dream made her flush a light pink, why did I dream about him doing that, she thought while grabbing some clothes before getting in the shower. Pushing the thought to the back of her head, she decided to lose herself in her morning routine. After only a couple of hours, her phone began ringing loudly, and she rushed over to pick it up.

     “Good Morning Beautiful!" A man said, smile evident in his voice. She smiled recognizing the voice.

     "Good Morning Jongup," she replied happily, sitting down on her couch. A quick conversation passed by, just the typical questions about life and work. Her alarm buzzed loudly and she realized that it was already 11:15.

     "," she hissed, "I'm sorry Jongup, I have to go, I have an appointment to get to." He sighed and told her to call him when she got home, but she just left him with empty promises of "Of Course" and "Right as soon as I walk through the door." As much as she liked Jongup, she knew he wanted something she didn't, but she couldn't lose him.

Rushing out of her apartment, Max slammed the car into drive and sped off to the building, hoping she wouldn't be late.

     "I'm sorry sir, Dr. Brooks isn't in yet, but I'm sure she'll be here soon, very punctual that one," The receptionist smiled at Himchan.

He nodded and turned to sit back in the waiting room, knowing the woman was still staring. As he sat down he noticed all the strange people on the uncomfortable couches and hoped Max didn't deal with these kinds of people all day. Wait, he shuffled in his seat uncomfortably, why do I care what she has to deal with? He started to wish his brain had an off switch and tried to distract himself with the tile on the floor.

Practically falling through the door of her office, Max leaned out calmly and smiled at the receptionist before calling out Himchan's name.

She could see exactly where he was sitting and watched him slowly rise out of the chair and walk towards her. She shook her head at the memories of the dream she had the night before, and sat in her chair as he took his seat on the couch.

     "Good Morning!" She smiled brightly before flipping to an empty page in her notebook. Himchan locked his eyes with hers before replying with a silent yupp.

     “So, I think we got off to a good start yesterday," Max said silently while trying not to remember any of it, Himchan trying to push away thoughts of their first meeting as well. Slipping out of his jacket and putting on an intimidating demeanor, he began asking random questions, to which Max answered calmly.

     "Now, I want to know more about you," Max replied, trying not to get into Himchan's devilish eyes, but failing miserably.

Button up shirts definitely suit him, she thought before shaking her head slightly.  He continued to study her features, while she attempted to ask him questions.

     "How was your childhood?" She asked turning around to look at her papers before twisting back to find Himchan almost in her face. She squeaked and jumped back quickly before he leaned into his chair.

     “There’s something weird about you," he sighed quietly, "I want to figure it out." Max held in a gasp, his voice ringing the same words from her dream in her ears. She smiled calmly,

     "That sounds like something I should say." He brought his hand up to his face, tapping his bottom lip softly, as it took all of Max's self-control not to stare.

     "So, Doctor, Why don't you tell me about your childhood?" Himchan said, smugness taking over his voice. "Maybe if I know you better, I'll open up."

Max cringed inwardly, wanting to avoid the sensitive subject all together, but she thought that there might be something in it for her if she were to listen.

     "Well, everyone has ups and downs while they're a child, I like to think my childhood was like that too," She said, pulling her best fake smile while looking at Himchan.

His eyes flickered for a split second, and Max could swear she saw a hint of sadness in the black orbs that hypnotized her thoughts. Shaking her head again, she checked the time. How is it 12:30 already, she asked herself, cursing time for going by so fast. She looked back at Himchan as she smiled,

     "Well it looks like our session is almost over." He looked back at her and stood up, gliding over to where she was sitting. She stood up as well noticing the way his body moved like water, more graceful than anyone she's ever seen, it had the same hypnotizing effect that his eyes did.

They both walked out of her office and up to the front desk.

     "Talk to Ms. Lopez, she'll get you scheduled for another appointment," Max said while quietly handing over Himchan's folder and beginning her walk back to her office.

The receptionist tried to talk but Himchan tuned her out as he watched as a man came from behind the door beside Max's, smiling at her. The plaque on the door read: "Dr. Jung Daehyun, Psychologist." Himchan felt heat rise in his body as he saw the man beaming at Max but her barely smiling back. They had a quick conversation and the man tried to put his hand on her shoulder but she jerked back and rushed into her office closing the door.

Himchan tilted his head to the side, wondering why she pulled back like he had hit her and almost instinctively walked back over to Max's door, knocking lightly. He heard rustling and footsteps before Max slowly opened the door.

     "Yes? Oh Himchan, what is it? Did you forget something?" She asked smiling when she saw his face.

He asked if he could come in for a second and closed the door behind himself. Max heard the door's lock click and felt her pulse quicken. Stop acting like this, she yelled at herself, she knew she was just gonna get hurt again.

     "I was just wondering if I could ever talk to you outside of our appointments, I think I would do better knowing I could call if something came up," He said while observing Max's neck and ears flush for a split second as she walked over to her desk to grab a piece of paper.

     "Sure!" She smiled brightly, "If you ever need to talk." She handed him a slip of paper with her number on it, "That's my personal and work numbers, so if I don't pick up one call the other." He nodded and walked back into the lobby of the building, seeing the man from before standing beside the receptionist's desk.

Himchan strolled over to set up another appointment, while watching the man flirt lightly with Ms. Lopez.

     "Okay, so next Wednesday at 10:00 will be alright?" She asked, not even looking up at him. Himchan nodded and turned to walk out of the office, glancing back at Max's still closed door. Why did I do that, he thought while waiting for the taxi to drive up.  Getting distracted by his emotions, he didn't even notice the taxi stop.

~What was that weird burning feeling? Why did she jerk back so quickly? Why do I care so much? ~

The blaring car horn pulled him from his confusion. He jumped a little and climbed into the car. Continuing to revel in his emotions would only cause him to hurt, he knew this and he tried his hardest to push the doctor from his mind, only to have her control every thought that entered his brain. He groaned loudly as he pushed the door to his apartment open, not even concerning himself with the neighbors trying to get his attention.

Max was finishing up paper work at her mahogany desk before looking up at the couch where Himchan had sat. A lump of black was thrown over the arm of the couch.

     "Oh!" She said out loud, standing to walk over to the couch. She delicately grabbed the piece of cloth and examined it. She stopped for a moment, trying to remember who had a jacket like the one she was holding.

Her answer smacked her in the face like a ton of bricks.

     "Himchan," she said quietly, almost dropping the jacket back onto the couch. She saw the schedule, he wasn't supposed to show up for a whole nother week, and she couldn't keep the jacket that long. What if he needs it, she thought to herself before turning to look for his file. Once she found it, she quickly wrote down the address and programmed it into her phone's GPS.

As Max rushed out of the office, Ms. Lopez noticed the urgency written on her face.

     "Max, are you okay?" She asked standing quickly. Max assured her that nothing was wrong as she walked out to her Fiat and hit the green go button on her phone.

     "Calculating route to 260 Victory Lane."