That Kiss in the Rain

That Kiss in the Rain

 

Chanyeol went to the café just to order some Americano for himself, and also Latte for Kyungsoo. He was about to pay with coins when the time froze, and Suho plus Baekhyun appeared in front of him. “Baekhyun!” Chanyeol surprised at the appearance of Baekhyun, still in his wheelchair, smiling rather weakly at Chanyeol. “Hey, mate” Chanyeol’s concern of Baekhyun clearly shown on his eyes. “I’m okay, Chanyeol. I just missed you, so when Suho wants to go to the earth, I tag along with him” Suho winked on the tallest amongst them three.

“So that boy is your assignment, is it?” Baekhyun asked while pointing to the outside where Kyungsoo was sitting, frozen to be exact. “He’s more than that, Baekhyun” Suho added his own comment. Chanyeol nods gloomily, feeling the pain inside his chest. “Do you need my help, Yeol? I could kill him if you can’t” Chanyeol shake his head at Baekhyun’s offer to help, determination shown in his eyes. “I will not change my mind even if you brought Baekhyun here, Suho.”

“But why, Yeol? Why would you want to dispose your life and doesn’t come back to Eden?” Baekhyun asked, his voice suddenly became shaky and it seems as if he wants to cry, pitying his best friend’s decision. “He’s just an ordinary human, Chanyeol. Your life is so much worth than him.” Chanyeol smiles at Baekhyun’s way of thinking that is really different with his, now that he has met Kyungsoo.

“If I came back to Eden, after killing Kyungsoo… I wouldn’t forgive myself anymore, ever…” Chanyeol’s voice is rather calm, as if he has accepted his fate. “I know this might become unreasonable. But the reason I could love myself once again after your incident is Kyungsoo. I’m not sure if I could find another reason to love myself anymore after he’s gone” His presence dimmed once again in Baekhyun and Suho’s presence. “Chanyeol! Your presence-“ Suho warns Chanyeol. “Yup, Suho. I don’t think I will last for another 24 hours… Maybe around 2 hours more”

“But- it should have been a mistake!” Suho disagreeing, he shook his head in disbelief. “Chanyeol…” Baekhyun’s eyes full of tears, it is ready to flown out of his eyes. “I forgive you, Chanyeol… I forgive you…” He finally sniffs, and Suho couldn’t look at Chanyeol anymore, he seems to be shocked that Chanyeol is going to be vanished in about 2 hours from now.

“I don’t regret it, Suho, Baekhyun. It’s my determination to not killing Kyungsoo that make Him giving me only about 2 hours more to be here.” Chanyeol’s expression is that lovingly expression. He’s right, there are no regret, there are no sadness, and there are no disappointment in his eyes. He accepts his death with smile, he was glad to accept his fate.

Suho inhales a long, deep, breath before facing Chanyeol and smiles. He seemed to understands Chanyeol’s decision right now. “Use your time wisely, Chanyeol.” Suho smiled as he and Baekhyun’s shadow flickering, signing that they are about to go. “I will. Thanks, Joonmyeon, Baekhyun.” He smiles and waves as the two Angels vanish into the air along with the drizzle of the rain pouring down.

He doesn’t have much time and it’s raining, so Chanyeol get the drinks from the counter after he paid, hurriedly go back to Kyungsoo, and grabs the younger’s hand just to drags him to the Ferris wheel. Chanyeol let one of his hands covers both of his and Kyungsoo’s head while walking towards the Ferris wheel. “Is it the end of the day already, Hyung?” Kyungsoo asked while they are being assigned to the certain cart of wheel. Chanyeol smiled lovingly at his lover whose eyes are widened by the fact that the end of the day has come. “Kyungsoo-ya, could you just please say my name?” Asked Chanyeol the moment they had gone inside the Ferris wheel. “Chanyeol Hyung?”

He giggled at how cute Kyungsoo sounds. “No, without the Hyung, I mean.” “Ch-Chanyeol?” Kyungsoo called the older with sheepish smile. “That’s right, Kyungsoo. Call my name.” Chanyeol leans forward, closer and closer to Kyungsoo. “Chanyeol” He lean forward even further, reaching for the younger’s plump lips. “Chanyeol” Their cart now is in the peak, Chanyeol could see a glimpse of lights being one by one, making such an amazing views. “Chan-“ Kyungsoo’s voice was cut off by Chanyeol’s lips.

Chanyeol pecks Kyungsoo’s lips; he pulls Kyungsoo’s head just to deepen the kiss. In between the kisses, Chanyeol’s memory seems to be played once again in his mind in a format of a slideshow that he thought ‘Aa, maybe this is what it felt when dying’. His wonderful memories of his childhood in Eden, his painful memories of being isolated, and of course the most unforgettable ones, his memories he spent with Kyungsoo. He remembered how Kyungsoo’s touch feels like, he remembered how Kyungsoo would always laugh at his remarks, and he remembered how their imprint would always stain the bench in the park near their apartment. The imprint was a result of them sitting together in a still wet painted bench, it will be the most memorable moments of his life.

Then his tears flown out of his eyes, fell down just like the shower of rain outside. His tears are not sad tears or scared tears, though. It is happy tears flown out of his eyes. Chanyeol lets go of Kyungsoo’s lips, his hands grabbing for Kyungsoo’s face. They are so close that Kyungsoo even could count Chanyeol’s eyelashes if he wanted to. “Kyungsoo, I love you” Kyungsoo smiled, his lips shaping heart, a beautiful pink and plump heart. “I love you more, Chanyeol” He replied as the Ferris wheel reaching the end stop. “I love you most” And with that, Kyungsoo could stare in fear, his lover, his Chanyeol is disappearing, it was the most painful feeling he has ever experience.

And maybe it’s painful not only for him, but to anyone who are losing the person they love the most, in front of their own eyes. “Chanyeol!” Kyungsoo shouts, he tried to grabs on Chanyeol’s face. “I’m sorry Kyungsoo. I have to leave you for now.” Chanyeol smiled, he manages to show his brightest smile, as he accepts his fate. “Chanyeol!” Chanyeol’s heart hurts a lot to see Kyungsoo’s tears finally fell down his cheeks so he wiped them with his thumbs.

“Let’s meet in another life, Kyungsoo” “No, Chanyeol. Please don’t leave me.” Kyungsoo plead, his heart aching as if someone is going to rip it out Kyungsoo’s chest. Chanyeol’s tears running down his cheeks while his smile still there, accompanying his tears. “Don’t forget about me, Chanyeol” Kyungsoo cupped his hands around Chanyeol’s face, not intending to let go the older one. “How am I supposed to forget you? You’re the only memory I’ve got.” ‘Though it is you who would forget me’ Chanyeol smiles, and he kisses Kyungsoo once again, now both of them close their eyes. The moment the Ferris wheel stops, the moment Kyungsoo’s eyes flicker opened, Chanyeol wasn’t there. And everything seems to have been rearranged.

Kyungsoo blinks his eyes, realizing his cheeks wet from his own tears. “What-? Where am I? Why am I crying?” He asked to no one but himself, confused on what is happening right now.

Kyungsoo wiped his cheeks, and was surprised to see two cups of coffee, Americano and Latte. He knows the Latte is his; it’s his favorite drink. But the Americano, he wasn’t sure. ‘Whose Americano is this?’ He thought as he brought the two cups out of the wheel. He was sure it’s not from someone who rides before him; the maintenance in this park is amazing, he’s sure of it.

He was about to throw the Americano away, but somewhere deep in his heart he doesn’t have any courage to throw the half filled cup of Americano. So he went home, with a cup of Latte in his right hand, and a cup of Americano in his left hand. When he got home, he had finished his Latte and throws it away, but he still keeps on holding the Americano.

Kyungsoo opened his apartment’s door, and find it quite strange. He doesn’t know why, but it rather feels… quieter. He is used to being lonely without his parents or his brother, he lives only with Dororo’s mother (who died earlier this year after gave birth to Dororo) his pet since he went to high school. But now, he suddenly feels lonelier. As if there is something (or rather someone) missing from his daily life. Yet he never knew.

Dororo greeted Kyungsoo with barking and waggles of tail, and it was about to jump on Kyungsoo but he stopped it from doing so. “No, Dororo, no. I’m holding a cup of Americano right now. Please, don’t jump and on people, like what you did this morning!” Then he felt quite strange. It feels rather familiar, but he couldn’t really figure out what made him felt so.

Kyungsoo went to the kitchen and sit on the chair while holding the half-filled Americano. He looks closely at the cup of Americano and it clearly shows the signs that someone has drank it earlier. He sniffs it, and drink a bit of the Americano. He used to dislike it, but he doesn’t know why, his eyes began to be teary all over. It’s bitter, but somehow it made him longing of something, or someone, that used to fill his whole day, his whole heart.

Dororo came to Kyungsoo’s side, barking and howling, as if it’s cheering its owner to not be sad. “Dororo-ya.. I don’t know why, but it’s hurt so much inside here” He said while pointing to his chest, Dororo responds by sad, bitter howl. “I guess you felt that too, don’t you Dororo? Here, here, let me hug you” Kyungsoo said as if Dororo is the one who needs hug and cheers, nevertheless he’s the one who actually need to be hugged and cheered on right now.

As Kyungsoo was rubbing Dororo’s collar, he felt it. Something slipped from between Dororo’s collar and dropped to the floor. It was a folded paper. Kyungsoo picked the paper and unfolded it; inside he could see a phrase of someone’s handwritings that he doesn’t know, but is familiar to. He remembered the dimmed memory of a kiss in the rain that seemed like a dream, though it feels as real as if it really happened. Then tears flowed out of his eyes, somehow his pain in the chest was unstrained, his tears was not that of sorrowful; it was of relieve and acceptance.

 

To my dearest person in the whole world, Do Kyungsoo

As you are reading this letter, most likely I would’ve been gone. But don’t be sad, or don’t try to remember everything by yourself. I know this day will come, the day when I’m not being able to be at your side. I’m sorry, and I thank you. For letting me know the meaning of love. For letting me have the most wonderful memory.

Let’s keep what’s memory remains memory. Don’t try to remember me; yet don’t try to forget me. As I want you to know, I’m always watching you from afar…

 

The letter does ends there, but Kyungsoo knows for sure, the one writing the letter for him is someone he used to dear the most. And he has something to do with that kiss in the rain Kyungsoo remembered. That kiss in the pitter-patter of rain with someone none other than the writer of this letter. He might not remember the person, but Kyungsoo will surely remember that kiss.

 

That kiss in the rain…