Chapter 2

TREE HOUSE

“Why?” she asked.

 

“Nothing, are you worried now?”

 

“Ne.” she answered. Her face was straight.

 

“Is that how you really look when you’re worried?” I asked her, pretending to be serious.

 

“Ne. Why?” she looked innocently back at me.

 

“Oh, nothing” I took her hand and told her that I’d drive her home since my best friend isn’t around.

 

Suzy was this silent type that she’d talk only if you ask something on her. I played music so that it won’t be awkward driving in silent. I’m still wondering where that guy is and what makes him busy.

 

I dropped Suzy at their home and watched her get in. I stopped there in the meantime and took a short rest. Then, my phone rang. It was Junho.

 

“Ya! Why are you calling just now? I drove Suzy home and I’m still at the front of their house. Where are you?” I nagged him.

 

“Can you pick me up here? I’m at the sea side. Remember your favorite place, right? I’m here.” He answered with a wicked tone. Later on, he chuckled.

 

“Aigoo! What time is it now? You brat! I’ll be there in a minute.” I said in disgust.

 

I hurriedly came to the sea side. It’s getting dark already. This is a place where we could spend our wee hours talking, playing and recording videos of ourselves. Sometimes, we eat and have a picnic here together with our friends. He would also play guitar for all of us. As soon as I got here, I felt like I wasn’t here for a long period of time. It’s true. Ever since, Suzy became my best friend’s girlfriend he seemed to forget about this place. I didn’t mind at first but as soon as it gets longer, I started missing the usual things that we both do.

 

My heart’s very blissful tonight. Maybe because I was here again, seeing the enormous sea and sky. I feel so relaxed. As I stretched out my arms I saw an outline of a familiar body walking towards me. Of course, it could be no other than Junho. He waved when he saw me.

 

“Ya! You don’t know how worried your girlfriend was when we found out that you already left school. Aigoo! You brat! What’s wrong with you? Why don’t you give Suzy a call first?” I yelled at him. He rubbed his head and smiled in response. At times, I wonder if something’s wrong with his mind.

 

“So Eun-ah, do you notice something new here?” he asked speaking softly.

 

I gazed around but didn’t see what he was trying to point out.

“No.” I pouted. I saw disappointment on his face. He looked agitated so I gawk around again.

 

From afar, I could see something in silhouette. And when I clearly distinguished that thing my mouth fell in amazement. Junho stared at me with his smiling eyes. I hit his stomach with my elbow and threw a sharp smile.

 

“Is that what made you busy the past few days?” I asked him. I’m talking about the tree house I saw just a while ago. That was the new thing he was trying to show me.

 

He smiled at first.

 

“Ne. How was it?”

 

“Seriously, it was pretty cool. Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked him while we were heading to the tree house.

 

“I wanted to surprise you.” He answered. His smiling eye was still painted on his face.

 

“Jinjja? Isn’t that for Suzy?” I sarcastically asked him.

 

Junho smirked at the question. Ever since she became Suzy’s boyfriend, I didn’t expect anything from him anymore. We usually spend our time together only at school. He seldom visits me at home.

 

When I saw that tree house, I was expecting that it was for Suzy. Junho proved me wrong. At least he has time to think about his best friend. Our friendship is still valuable for him too. The tree house thing, it really moved me and made my heart flutters for many reasons. First, it was because Junho occupied himself just to finish this tree house he promised me even before he met Suzy. Secondly, I can feel my best friend back. And last, I know deep down inside that my heart wouldn’t be this happy only because of these reasons but because of Junho himself.

 

My heart beats rapidly. I placed my hand on top of my chest and feel the beating of my heart inside. It was excited and loud.

 

“I’ve never felt this way before.” I anxiously told myself. It was late when I remembered that Junho was standing right beside me.

 

“Felt what?” he asked. He even faced me. Junho noticed my hand and stared in wonder. I quickly put down my hand and faked a smile on him.

 

“I’ve never been this happy and excited. I never thought you’d do this.” I sincerely told him. He gave me a jagged look.

 

“Ya! What were you thinking? That I’ve already forget about my best friend?” he said and hit my forehead with his finger. The hit was a bit painful.

 

“Ya, how dare you!” I yelled at him. Junho started running away. He’s becoming mischievous again.