Miles Away

Love One, Not Two

"Finally! 13 hours in that stuffy plane! I can finally breathe!" you exclaim to your mom.

She smiles. "Can you please help your father with the luggage? We need to catch a taxi to go to our new apartment."

"Oops, sorry about that," you apologize as you help your dad.

At the Apartment

You walk into your new apartment expecting it to be empty, yet it is already filled with your furniture. It somehow feels like a home. 

"When did the furniture arrive?" you ask as you wander around the apartment.

"Yesterday, your aunt and uncle have kindly helped us out. Isn't it nice of them?" your mom says. "Go check out your room!"

You head over to your new room. Your father has already started unpacking your belongings.

"Hey, I can take it from here," you offer.

Your dad smiles. "Thanks sweetie. I'll go help your mom then."

You slowly unpack your belongings. You arrange your stuffed animals on your bed and finish putting your clothes in your closet. Then, you turn to unpack the last box. You open it and see your many kpop posters. You smile. You loved kpop even before you knew you were moving to Korea. You can't even remember the first time you listened to kpop. Your kpop obsession was the reason why mom decided to take the job here in Seoul, and you couldn't be more thankful. 

After arranging the posters on the wall, you head out to help your parents. However, they don't need your help.

"Hey hun, can you please bring these cookies to your aunt's house? They helped us a lot," your mom says as she hands you a basket of cookies.

"But I don't know how to get around here. It's so big," you explain.

"Well you'll have to learn, right? There's a subway nearby. You won't miss it. Your aunt lives in Banpo-dong. Just follow the signs and you'll get there."

"Oh ya, sweetie! Don't forget your scarf! Its chilly outside since its winter," your mom yells as you leave the house.

"Got it mom!" you yell back as you sulk out of the house.

You sigh as you carry the basket of cookies outside. How do your parents expect you to find your way around Seoul on the first day?