The Shadow

Desolation of Glass Shards.

 

Author's note: some cursing in this chapter~ Please enjoy. Thank you!

Two Months Earlier: Hair salon. 3:30PM. Lee Ji-eun

                  The moment I first saw him on the television screen, I knew I had to have him. He was the most beautiful man I had ever laid eyes on, unlike all of the disgusting hound dogs who are always lusting after me in the hallways, just waiting for me to become defenseless before they pounced. God, how I hated all of them: except for him.

I love the way his hips gyrate to the music so gracefully, the way he looks into the camera with charisma, and I even love the wrinkles that form under his eyes when he’s smiling. Part of the reason I joined the entertainment business in the first place was just so I could be around him. Unfortunately, however, the idiots at SM entertainment wouldn’t know talent if it bit them in the asses, so I failed to join his company. But perhaps that was for the best. At least this way he won’t see the horrible sides of me.

“Ji-eun-ah, come on we have to hurry to the M-countdown studio!” My manager said, pointing at his watch impatiently.

“I know, I know. Hold on. The stylist has to find a belt for me,” I said as I scrolled through my I-Phone, looking at my text messages. I chuckled as I read some.

                  From: Hyukjae 3:00pm

                  To: Ji-eun

                                    Hey baby, I’m going to see you today at M-countdown. Excited?! Keke. =-3-=

                  From: Hyukjae 3:06PM

                  To: Ji-eun

                                    What time will you be here? We’re already here. I’m waiting for you. <3

                  From: Hyukjae 3:14PM

                  To: Ji-eun

                                    I’m just going to continue to text you until you respond! My love, love, love~

                  From: Hyukjae 3:23PM

                  To: Ji-eun

Baby~ Kyuhyunnie keeps laughing at me cause I’m just staring at my phone waiting for you to reply~ huhuh. T-T

                   From: Ji-eun 3:32PM

                   To: Hyukjae

Sorry, couldn’t respond. I’m at the hair salon. I’m excited to see you, but you won’t talk to me. >.<

                   From: Hyukjae 3:34PM

                   To: Ji-eun

                                    What?! Of course I will. There’s no one else I’d rather talk to. I love you. <3

                   From: Ji-eun 3:40PM

                   To: Hyukjae

                                    Sure. Sure. I know. I’ll see you there. ;)

                  The stylist finally came back, out of breath, holding a sparkling silver belt, “Here, Ji-eun. Put it on in the car,” She said.

                  I bowed slightly, before I took it from her, “Thank you, unnie.”

                  My manager ushered me into the car, and we quickly went off to the studio. Once we arrived, I was immediately led backstage for some final touch up’s and microphone fittings. I was sitting in the chair, admiring my hair when he came up to me and covered my eyes.

                  “Guess who?” He breathed into my ear.

                  I smiled slightly, “Eunhyuk-sunbaenim.”

                  He uncovered my face, careful not to smudge my makeup, “Ah, that’s not good! You have to call me Hyukjae-oppa! We’ve already talked about this. Whenever we’re alone, you can talk informally to me. I mean, we’ve already been dating for two years, Ji-eun ah!”

                  I turned in my chair and looked up at him, “I know. I’m sorry, oppa. It’s just, you never know who’s listening. It would be bad if news got out about us.”

                  “Even if it did get out, I’d stand by you. I love you, you know,” He said before he kissed the top of my head, “I’ve got to go back to the other members before they notice I’m gone.”

                  “Ok, oppa. Good luck today.”

                  “Thanks. You too. I love you,” He said before he turned to leave.

                  I exhaled slowly and turned to stare at my reflection in the mirror. I hate her. I hate that she’s the person I see staring back at me. But this is all necessary. Even if I have to turn into a monster, a sinner, and the devil itself, I would, all for you. Remember, I’m doing everything for you, my love, even if you can’t see it. I love you, sunbaenim.

                                                                                          ***

                  “IU-shi. You are on next. Good luck,” A backstage helper said as he handed me my microphone.

                  I put on my innocent smile, “Oh, thank you! I will try my best.”

                  The man nodded and spoke into his headset. I waited, sneakily trying to catch glimpses of the super junior members from the corner of my eye, until the man motioned for me to step on stage.

                  Adrenaline pumped through my veins as I gripped the microphone and began to sing. I was flying high, the adrenaline taking over my sore limbs and tired body, and I sang with all of my pent up passion. The fans were very excited; they screamed and reached out to grab my hand when I walked by. It was like I was standing on top of the world for the short three and a half minutes of my song. A twinge of sadness passed through me when my song ended and I was ushered off stage, but I masked it quickly with a smile.

                  Super Junior was supposed to go on stage next, and I noticed Hyukjae-oppa trying to catch my attention. I looked at him, and he made a heart, a goofy smile plastered on his face, and waved at me. I waved back before winking. He smiled, satisfied, and turned to talk to Shindong sunbaenim. Then I locked eyes with Cho Kyuhyun. His eyes widened in surprise but he did not look away. I smirked. My manager grabbed my shoulder and led me to one of the chairs backstage.

                  Super junior performed beautifully, as always, without any noticeable mistakes. The boys smiled as they hurried off stage, excitedly chattering about the performance and the size of the crowd. Hyukjae oppa immediately walked over to me, his smile so wide that his pink gums showed.

                  “So, was I cool on stage?” He asked, his face lighting with anticipation.

                  I laughed, “Yes, oppa, you were very cool.”

                  “Was I the coolest?” He asked innocently.

                  “Who could be cooler?” I replied.

                  He chuckled, “So, are you free later tonight? We could go out to eat or watch a movie or something.”

                  “Ah, oppa, I would really love to but I have other plans.”

                  He frowned, “Oh, with who? Can you reschedule? I’m not going to have much free time to spend with you for a while because we’re preparing for our album.”

                  I hesitated, “I’m sorry, you know I would love to spend time with you, but I can’t reschedule this. I’m meeting with some company executives about a drama that I might be casted for. If this wasn’t so important for my career I would reschedule in a heartbeat, but-“ I trailed off.

                  “Oh, no, it’s perfectly fine. Is it going to take all night? I can meet you any time that’s convenient for you; it doesn’t matter how late it is.”

                  “I’m not sure how long it will take. But I don’t want you to lose sleep for my sake. I know how hectic it gets when album promotions come around, and how little sleep you get, so, please use this time to rest. I don’t want you to get sick because of me. We’ll definitely meet up another day, just not today. I’m sorry, oppa.”

                  “Don’t be sorry,” Hyukjae oppa sighed, “Ok, we’ll meet another time. But don’t push yourself too hard, I don’t want you to get sick either. I love you,” He kissed my cheek.

                  “Bye oppa,” He smiled and went back to where the other super junior members were standing. I didn’t miss the glances they gave me or the way they appeared to be teasing Hyukjae oppa. I didn’t miss the solemn look on Kyuhyun’s face when he told the members that he had to go to another schedule.

                  “Ji-eun, your schedules are all done for the day. Where would you like to go? Home or…?” My manager asked.

                  “Oh, I think I’ll just go back to my apartment,” I smiled, “Can we leave now?”

                  My manager nodded and we walked to the van together. I climbed into the back seat. The ride was short, and particularly uneventful. I waved goodbye to my manager and went to change my clothes and wipe off my makeup. Once I was done, I headed to the living room when a flash of light caught my eye. I looked out the window and saw the glow of the full moon. The moonlight was peaceful, yet somehow foreboding, as if it were mocking me. As if it knew more than I did. I heard the doorbell buzz. I smiled and went to open the door.

                  “Hey, there. Quickly come in before someone sees you,” I shut the door behind him, “So, what brings you here?”

                  “Don’t play games with me, IU-sshi. You know why I’m here.”

                  “Oh, but you know how much I adore playing games,” I wrapped my arms around his waist, “And you know how angry I get when my partner refuses to play.”

                   He hesitated, “Sorry. Ji-eun ah, I couldn’t stay away.”

                  “That’s better, my love. Shall we continue this endeavor in the bedroom?”

                  “Whatever you desire,” He said, monotone.

                  “Hmm, show a little more enthusiasm,” I pulled him into my room and shut the door behind me, “How long have we been doing this for; four or maybe five months? I wonder what Hyukjae would say if he found out that I was cheating on him with you, Kyuhyun.”

                  Kyuhyun blanched, “I swear to god-“

                  “What do you swear, dear? You’re powerless against me and you know it. It’s your fault in the first place,” I pushed him onto the bed so I was straddling his hips and kissed his clavicle, “If only you hadn’t rejected my generous offer all those months ago, you wouldn’t be suffering like this now.”

                  “You’re a crazy ,” Kyuhyun spat out.

                  “And you are a backstabbing bastard. We match so perfectly together, don’t we? I wonder what your darling Joo-hyun would think if she knew what we were doing?”

                  “Shut up you ing . Don’t you ing say her name with your mouth.”

                  “Oh, Kyu, don’t curse. You know better than that. And I’d suggest that you don’t make me mad or else, god only knows what will happen to her. And this mouth of mine might accidently tell Hyukjae all about how you came onto me, and how I desperately tried to push you away, but you overpowered me. And how you-“

                  “Stop. Just stop. I’ll do whatever you say. Please, just stop,” Kyuhyun said, the twinkle in his eyes fading out to a dull brown.

                  “That’s better. Now kiss me,” He mechanically leaned down and pecked my lips, “Huh, what are we in grade school? Put some emotion into it or else.”

                  He kissed me again, “That’s right,” I his hair, “Just like that and no one will get hurt. No one will have to find out.”

                  He pulled off his shirt, “Yes, be a good boy and do as you're told,” I murmured; he didn't reply.

                  “Oh, by the way Kyu, I’m pregnant. It’s yours.”

                  The only sounds interrupting that peaceful moon lit night were those of an act of lust and the last pieces of sanity shattering onto the wooden floor.