Last Piece

Grown up

 

 

 

Chapter IV

   All of what Geun Young’s friends said was bumping on her mind.

            “Geun Young, we’re grown up.”

“I’m no longer your 10 year old friend.”

            “It almost seven years, we’re all changed.”

            Geun Young heard this again and again.  This was also the reason how she really understand that their friendship had gone.

            “Geun Young, why are you here alone?” Ms. Park saw Geun Young in the park sitting on the grass.

            “Oh, Miss Park!” said Geun Young without energy.

             Mrs. Park noticed sorrow in her eyes. “You have problem about you friend, right?” she asked.

            “They were not my friends anymore,” replied Geun Young.” They abandoned our friendship. 

            “Geun Young,” said Ms Park tapping her shoulder.  “Don’t be depressing.  What you need to do is to accept everything with your full heart.  Maybe they already forgot your memories but in right time, they will surely realize how important it was.”

Geun Young listened as her teacher continued.

            “Instead of allayig on the past, try to make new friends -friends that will accept you as what you are and those who will help you to learn.  I do not say this just to change your beliefs but to insist how important to accept others specially their kindness, even though they were not your friends.” Mrs. Park explained.

 

            Late after Geun Young’s class,  a female voice called her.

            “Geun Young!” called Jing together with Hannah and Issa.  “We’re going to mall, would you like to join?” she asked.

            That invitation brought Geun Young a flash from the past.

           

            “Hong Ki!” young Geun Young called as she saw her friend watering the plants at the school garden.  “Looks like you got an early task.  Let me help you.” she volunteered.

            As they watered the plants, Hong Ki told some words.

            “You know what Geun Young, I’ve learned that friendship can compare to plants.”

            “Really, how?” asked Geun Young.

            “As what I read, Friendship is a plant needs to be watered.”

 

            “That time, I didn’t understand what it means, but now I guess I already know, even the words of Ms. Park, I understand.”           

“Ah Jing, it’s that really okay if I accompany you?” she asked.

            “Of course!” said the girls in chorus.

            “Well, I have no reason to refuse again, C’mon let’s go!”

“Let’s go!” Issa repeated.  “I’m excited to buy Syuyu-san stuff.”

“You mean you’re also a Syuyu-san fanatic?” asked Geun Young

“Yes we are!” they answered. 

            “Actually we’re planning to wear the same attire on our coming costume party.” said Hannah.

            “Cool that was a nice idea!” Geun Young agreed.

 

            Meanwhile, Woo Hyuk was studying on their sala when Min Ah called by phone.

            “Hello Woo Hyuk!”

            “Yes, Min Ah?” asked Woo Hyuk.

            “I want to talk to you about the things happened before you and Geun Suk quarreled.”

            “You don’t need to do that, I forgot it already.”

            “You don’t understand!” Min Ah insisted.  “We need to talk about it.  I want to see personally.”

            “But Min Ah, it happened five years ago.”

            “I know, but I committed mistake,” said Min Ah.  “Honestly, I’m the real reason behind it.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “I will tell the whole story right after we met.”

            “No!” said Woo Hyuk.  “Tell it to me now.”

            “But -OK, Honestly I’m guilty,” Min Ah begun.  “I’m guilty because when I told you Guen Young likes Geun Suk, it was just a lie because I also told the same words to Geun Suk,” Min Ah confessed.  “I think I envy Geun Young so much so I did it.  In five years I kept this without worrying, but now I realized I really did wrong, so I want to give you my apology.”

            “Your apology couldn’t help!” said Woo Hyuk in icy tone. “But that’s okay.  As I said I already forget it, just look for Geun Suk.”
            ”Yah, I will also ask for his forgiveness.” said Min Ah.       “But…about Guen Young,” she continued. “I also want her forgiveness too, because I hurt her.  Now, I had loads of regrets.  Geun Young cares much on our friendship, actually she want us to celebrate our friendship day.”

            “Celebrate our friendship day?” Alexis repeated as he remembered the date. It was already February 29.

            “I want to attend, I know this way I can comfort her.  I tried to contact her but she didn’t answer.” said Min ah.

            “I understand.  I will attend too. Where will be the venue?”

            “It will be on our space. I’ll wait you there.”

After the call, Woo Hyuk tried to contact Stella but he can’t find her number.  He just noticed that he had new sim card.

            “Woo Hyuk, I bought you a book,” said Mhia when she arrived.  “I’m sure you will like it.”

            “Why do you change my sim card?” asked Woo Hyuk angrily. “Answer me!”

            “B-Because there’s a nonsense girl who annoys you.” replied Mhia.

            “She doesn’t annoy me, besides she’s not just a girl, she’s my best friend!” said Woo Hyuk

            “But I’m your fiancé, more important than her!” cried Mhia.

            “Are you sure?” asked Woo Hyuk, challenging. “I think you forgot something, this relationship is fixed by our parents.”

            “Woo Hyuk watch your words, you’re hurting me, and you are becoming worst!” Mhia cried.

“I have been good to you, but if you really want me to be better, don’t make things ahead without even asking!” said Woo Hyuk bitterly.

 

            Geun Suk came from their victory party.  He was so tired, but when he realized it was already February 29, he suddenly saw himself facing at the computer and checking his emails.  There, he saw messages from Geun Young

            “Honestly, I tried to forget you,” Geun Suk said to himself.  “I tried to forget the past but when I saw you again, I feel different so I guess I still like you.”

He dialed to call Guen Young but she didn’t answer so he tried to call Hong Ki.

            “Hello, who is this?” asked Hong ki while holding an old picture.  That time Hong Ki was cleaning his room.  He saw some pictures from his childhood.  There, he just noticed how happy they were.

            “This is Jang Geun Suk, may I speak with Lee Hong Ki?”

            “Oh, Geun Suk, this is already me.”

            “Glad to hear your voice, how are you now?”

“I’m fine, how about you, I heard you’re a tennis player?”

            “Yes, but Hong Ki actually I call you because of Guen Young.  She didn’t answer my call but I’m planning to attend tour party.  I’m sure she will be so glad if we all attend.” said Geun Sunk

Hong Ki realized it. For sure Geun Young will show her beautiful smiles.

            “Okay I’ll go” said Hong Ki.

 

            All of them went on their space.  They were surprised to see each other.

            “Geun Suk, Hong Ki! You’re here?” said Min Ah.

            “It’s our friendship day so we must!” said Geun Suk cheerfully.

Mi ah smiled.

            “Look how beautiful our space is!” said Hong Ki addressing to the place where they where. “It’s almost ready.”

            “Geun Young made it all!” Min Ah admired.

 

            On the other hand, Geun Young was eating on a fast food chainwith her classmates. Issa gave a comment.  “You know what girls, I’m thinking how unfair it is because next year, there will be no February 29 again.”

            After hearing the words of Issa, Stella pause a moment, she remembered that it was already her favorite day. 

 

            “Hong Ki, did Geun Young answer your call?” asked Geun Suk.

            “No.” Hong Ki answered.

            “I doubt if she’ll come,” said Min Ah  “This is my fault because I told foul words to her.”

            “Me too.” said Hong Ki. 

            “Oh no, I’m excited to see her!” Guen Suk insisted.

            “But she’ll not come,” said Hong Ki.  “We hurt her so much!”

            “No!” Woo Hyuk disagreed.  “I believe she will come.”

“I think we should accept what ever her decision will be. It is her own decision.” said Min Ah. She walked near the cassette and played it. 

It was their recorded voice when they were in grade school, singing the main theme song of Syuyu-sanYume no naka e.