Real Identity

Grown up

 

Chapter III

 

            “So you met Geun Suk” said Hong Ki in his soft voice. Geun Young visited him in his apartment. They were watching Syuyu-san’s tape.

            “Yes, I met him” Geun Young replied. “I think Geun Suk doesn’t change, he is still naughty.”

            “I guess he’ll bring that attitude forever” said Hong Ki laughing.

            “Maybe you’re right, haha!” laughed Geun Young. Her cell phone rang, she took it. “Hello…Oh, Jing, it’s you! Why did you call-what, about the costume party-well, actually I haven’t decided what I’m going to wear but if ever I got ideas I’ll inform you- Okay, bye.”

            “Who is she?” asked Hong Ki.

            “One of my classmates”

            “I guess you’re close. That’s good; you have your new friends.”

            “No, we’re not close!” Geun Young corrected. “I mean, for me you’re my best friends!”

 

            On the other hand, Geun Suk is so energetic practicing tennis. One of his teammates, King noticed him.

            “You’re so energetic today, do you find INSPIRATION?”

            “Uh, well…” Geun Suk was speechless.

            “Do you have girl friend, right?”

            “No!” exclaimed Geun Suk defensively-and blushing. “She’s not yet my girlfriend.”

            “Yet… so you like her, don’t you?”

            Geun Suk smiled, rolling his eyes.

            “If you do, tell it to her, before rivals appears.”

            “Rivals?” The word bumped on Geun Suk’s ear. It brought memories.

 

            “Geun Suk!” called Min Ah, a 10 year old girl. “Do you really like Geun Young? To tell you the truth, she likes Woo Hyuk!”

 

            “Hey, Geun Suk, What’s wrong?!” asked King slapping his shoulder.

            “Nothing, let’s continue our practice.”

           

            “This way!” said Geun Young leading an old man .He helped her to bring the tables inside a small house. They called this house as their space. It was located behind a bungalow aid in woods. Last ten years it was belong to Hong ki’s family. They sold it after moving in America. No one use it today. “Sir, thank you very much!” said Geun Young bowing her head. Geun Young started to beautify the old storage. She put decorations, placed curtains and flower vases. She even paint the wall.

            “Now, I only need two things: food and the presence of everybody-then it’s COMPLETE!” said Geun Young.

            It was 6pm when Geun Young left. She was on her way home when heavy rain fell down. Luckily she had an umbrella. As she walked looking left and right, she saw something that made her stop.

Hong ki placed the Syuyu-san tape in his drawer. “I’m sorry” he whispered. His cell phone rang. It was Geun Young calling. “Is there any problem?”

“I’m here at the park, can you go here?”

“Are you sure? It’s late and raining.”

“Oh please…I’ll wait you” Geun Young insisted then hang ups.

Hong ki thought it was an emergency so he came. “Geun Young!” he called as she saw his friend under a shed. “What happened?” he asked closing off the umbrella.

Geun Young smiled. “I want you to accept this” she handed a Syuyu-san post card to Hong Ki. “It’s a Syuyu-san greeting card, do you like it”

“Is this the reason why you ask me to go here?” asked Hong Ki.

Geun young nodded. “I also like to remind you about the party. Your presence is very important!’

“I’m not going!” said Hong ki, bitterly.

“What?”

“I said I’m not going!” he repeated. “Geun Young, listen. It’s almost 7 years. Don’t you see, there are a lot of changes?”

“What do you mean?” asked Geun Young.

Hong Ki crumpled and threw the post card on the ground.

“Wait!” cried Geun Young getting the crumpled post card. “Why did you do that?”

“To wake you up-because I don’t like that post card!” said Hong Ki increasing his tone. “Geun Young, I’m no longer your 10 year old friend. I grew up. I’ve change. All of us change.”

“I know there are changes, but we’re still friends, right?!” cried Geun Young. “Remember, friendship never dies, memories always remain.”

Hong Ki stared at her then walked away.

 

“Hello, Woo Hyuk” said Geun Young on Monday morning as she dropped a call.

“I’m not Woo Hyuk, I’m Milton. Remember, I’m your elementary classmate, and also Woo Hyuk’s sidekick.”

            “Yah, I remember. Why do you have his cell phone, Where is he?”

            “Actually, this is my phone. Her girlfriend Mhia gave me this sim card.”

            “Really, then can I know his new number?”

            “Sorry but Mhia requested me to keep it. I think she’s jealous.”

            “What?” Geun Young can’t believe it. ‘She’s unfair, Woo Hyuk is my friend.

            “I know but…”

            “Okay, just tell her I won’t steal her boy friend!”

            After that, Geun Young went in Sta. Barbara Educational Institute to meet Min Ah. She wanted somebody to talk.

            “Do really want to continue the party/” asked Min Ah.

            “Yes” replied Geun Young” Although I’m not sure if Hong Ki and Woo Hyuk will be there.”

            “Just let them, if they don’t want to go”

            “I want their presence. For once, I want to reunite with everybody”

            “I know your feeling” said Min Ah touching her hair “But everyone is against it and besides what are we going to do in that party?”

            “Of course we can do a lot of things!” said Geun Young in her cheerful mode ‘We can share our stories, eat our favorite food, sing, dance and perhaps watch Syuyu-san.”

“Baka!” shouted Min Ah angrily and unplanned. Baka means stupid.

As Geun Young heard it, she found herself at loss for words. She was really surprise.

Min Ah was angry. “You’re so childish!” she began “Will you please move on and forget Syuyu-san?! Because of that unsightly attitude of yours it’s hard for you to understand others feeling.”

Geun Young was speechless.

“Don’t you notice, Geun Young you’re becoming selfish. You don’t even observe what’s happening to us. One example was the incident about Geun Suk and Woo Hyuk. Before Geun Suk transferred, he and Woo Hyuk had quarrel. Second, about Hong Ki, he is experiencing family problem by now.”

“W-What?” asked Stella susprisingly.

“You don’t know anything, It’s because you only care about your self. You’re selfish Geun Young, you’re SELFISH!”

“Min ah. What happen between Woo Hyuk and Geun Suk? What’s wrong with Hong Ki?” Geun Young sheered continually.

Min Ah could feel her face burning. She saw Geun Young over reacting. For her she wasn’t in the place to ask. “Hong ki’s family returned here because of financial problem. He also told in one of hie emails that he experienced difficulties in his stay there. About Woo Hyuk and Geun Suk, you’re the reason of their quarrel.”

“What?” Geun Young felt completely vulnerable.

“Stop acting!” yelled Min Ah. “Don’t act as if you care. You can’t understand others feeling. You can’t understand anyone that’s why I HATE YOU!”

Geun Young stared at her, open-mouthed. “You hate me?” she asked.

“Yes, I hate you. I do really hate you!” said Min Ah. “You took the attention of everyone. Hong Ki, Woo Hyuk and Geun Suk. All of them like you. Actually I am so happy because we’re not classmates. I’m happy because I got chance to stay away from you!”

That’s enough!” Geun Young requested. “Min Ah, we’re best friends, fright? Friendship never dies, memories always remain.”

“True, but past is past!” said Min Ah. ”Wake up Geun Young! No one should care about childhood memories.”

“You’re wrong! Geun Young bit out as she ran away with tears springing to her eyes.

 

            At home, she received a text message from Geun Suk.

“Sorry I can’t attend the part.”

This was the time Geun Young realized that she’s the only one holding on the memories.

She went back at her old school. “I only want to experience those happy memories gain” she thought looking in their old classroom.

“Okay class” said Ms Park Jun Eun, class adviser of the grade five. “I like to introduce your new classmate: Moon Geun Young.