Cherish Memories

Grown up

 

 

Chapter I

 

            The arrival of Lee Hong Ki from New York was exactly 10 o’clock in the morning.  As the young man arrived, his childhood friend, Moon Geun Young welcomes him back-so excited.

            “Hong Ki, I’m here!” called Geun Young, a sixteen year old with pretty face and long hair.  She was waving her hands just to catch the attention of her friend.

            “Is that really you, Gun Young?” asked Hong Ki with a smile. He had short hair and feminine like body.  He went near to his friend.

            “It has been five years since we’re together, you’re so pretty.”

            “Oh, not really,” said Geun Young defensively. “You’re the one who grown handsome.” She added.

            “Hong Ki smiled then begun to pull his baggage forward.  Geun Young asked him spontaneously.

            “How’s life in the USA, isn’t it difficult, about your parents why they didn’t come with you?”

           Hong ki spoke with his soft accent that was his trademark.              “America is different, I mean it change me a lot.  My parents are still busy maybe they move here by next month.”

            “I see, so you’re the only one in your apartment.” said Geun Young.

            “Yes,” Hong Ki replied. “Wait a minute, what the latest about you?” Hong Ki changed the topic.

            “Well, I guess I’ve never change.” said Geun Young.  “Anyway, now that you’re here we must continue our party.”

            “Party?”

            “It will be held next week,” said Geun Young with eyes flashing with excitement.  “Don’t you remember every 29th of February we celebrate our friendship day.  It happens every leap year so we shouldn’t postpone it again.  Last five years, I’ve never had the determination to prepare for the party, it’s because you’re not here, but now that your back everyone –even I have no excuse!” Geun Young said emphasizing the last three words.

            “So you still have contact with our childhood friends” asked Hong Ki.

            “Yeah, even though we entered in different school.  Actually, I still sending Geun Suk some emails like what I did to you, in fact I discovered that he is the star player in their tennis club” narrated Gen Young cheerfully.  She continued her trivia.   “About Woo Hyuk, he is now their school president.  He and Min Ah are studying in the same school and once a week I do visit them.”

            “Wow, that’s good!” said Hong Ki facing Geun Young.  “You are really a good friend.  You’re the only one who regularly emails me,” He twists her head and face again forward.  “Min Ah once emailed me, Woo Hyuk too but Geun Suk didn’t.  I had never heard anything about him.” he added.

            “It is because one year after you moved to America, Geun Suk’s family transferred in other district.  I think that’s the reason.”  Geun Young explained.

            “By the way.” she continued.  “I have something to ask. Is Syuyu-san airs in the USA?”

            “No, it isn’t.” Hong Ki replied.

            “As what I thought!” said Geun Young, snapping her fingers.    “I’m sure you really missed it. But don’t worry I taped some of its episodes and besides it will be aired again in its new season.”

           Hong Ki smiled.  Then, they both noticed they already reached the airlines outdoor.

            “So, I need to go,” said Hong Ki sweetly.  “Thanks for your warmed welcome, Geun Young.”

            “That’s okay.  Take care!  See yah.”

            “See you too, bye.”

           Lee Hong Ki ride home by taxi while Moon Geun Young went in bookstore to bought Syuyu-san manga (comic book).  She was a fanatic of this Japanese cartoon.

 

            When Geun Young got home, she faced immediately in the computer, checking her emails.

            “Jang Geun Suk didn’t reply again,” she said sadly.  “I wonder why.”

            She turned off her computer and checked her cell phone.  She dialed and had a call.

            “Hello- Choi Woo Hyuk, this is me, Moon Geun Young.  I just want to tell the good news.  Hong Ki came back. He’s here! Now on February 29 we can-“

           Woo Hyuk interrupted her words.

            “Sorry, but can you call me later, I have loads of school works, just greet him for me.”

            “Okay…” said Geun Young, placing downs the cell phone. She wondered and had full of doubts.

            “Are they really busy?’  She asked.              “Indeed, the party must go on.  It should be!”  She insisted.

 

            Next Sunday morning, Geun Young went in the house of her friend.

            “Min Ah!”  Geun Young called.  She was standing outside when she saw her friend getting out from the gate.

            “Hey Geun Young, is there any problem?” asked Shin Min Ah, a beautiful tsinita with short hair. She was holding a gown in hanger covered by plastic.

            “No, it’s nothing.”  Geun Young replied.  “Where are you going?”

            I’m going to school, we have our theater practice.  I’m in hurry so I can’t entertain you.  I need to go.”

            “I understand,” said Geun Young.  “But I just want to remind you about the occasion this coming February 29.  And about Hong Ki, yesterday he just arrived.”

            “Really, that’s great!  Just bring my warm greeting to him, thanks- see yah around!” Min Ah ran away.

Geun Young understands how busy her best friend was since joining the theater.

 

            Geun Young went home earlier.  She laid her body at her bed and started to think deeply.

            “I thought they will be glad and excited if they will hear the news about a long lost friend, but their reactions are evidence that they didn’t.  They can’t leave what they we’re doing right now, even in a minute. Well, after all, I can’t blame them.  I have no extra curriculum so I guess I don’t yet experience what they had.”

            Geun Young sighed and took a deep breath.

            “How I miss my childhood memories.  I hope I have the power to go back in time.” said Geun Young.  She left from bed and played the Syuyu-san soundtrack, its main theme entitled Yume no naka e which means “Into a dream.”

            “When we were in elementary, we used to sing this song together,” said Geun Young speaking to herself.  “Now we’re just a scattered piece of sands.  We’re far from each other, busy in different things.”

            Moon Geun Young should accept: All of their lives had changed after elementary graduation.  Even though she believes that no matter what, their friendship will LAST.

 

            On the next day, after her class, Geun Young decided to visit their former class adviser, it has been a year when their grade five teacher got married and chose to stop from teaching.  Geun Young was excited to go when somebody called her.

            “Geun Young!” called Jing, one of her classmates.  “I, Hannah and Issa will go to bookstore, do you want to join?”

            “No thanks, maybe next time.  I still have an important business.”  Replied Geun Young, then she left.

            “As I tried to tell you, she wouldn’t accept our invitation.”  Hannah whispered.

 

 *

            “Is Hong Ki really here?” asked Ms. Lee Jung Eun, formerly Ms. Park Jung Eun.  Her eyes were full of excitement.

            “That’s really true ma’am, he came back last Saturday and I could say that his physical appearance had changed a lot.” said Geun Young speaking so energetic.

            “You makes me so excited, now I really want to see him “said Ms Lee.  “Can you request him to visit me one day?”

            “Of course ma’am, I will.”

            “By the way, do you give him some welcome party?”

            “No,” Geun Young said” We have no time because they are all busy.”

            “I see, high school life compare to grade school is really different.  But how about you, aren’t you busy?”

            “I’m also having loads of project, but I can manage my schedule.  I always have time to visit, email and call them” said Geun Young.

            “And how’s your interaction with your new classmates?”  Asked Ms. Lee

            “Well, not bad.  I do my best to treat them fairly; I also try my best to be a good ally to them, but my childhood friends are still the most important.  They really mean a lot to me.”

            “But…”  Ms Lee had concern.

            “What’s wrong Ms Lee?” asked Geun Young.

            “Ah, well- nothing.” She decided not to comment.