Rumours and Dance Lessons

The Observations of a YG Trainee (Oneshot Series)

Hello! I'm sorry it took me so long to come up with this but here it is! Although, these will be oneshots in a series, there is some continuation throughout them. 

**ALSO in case there is any confusion: This story is told from the perspective of a different trainee than Chapter 1 (But she makes an appearance). In case anyone was curious or cared, I followed the floorplan of the building from YG-life. 

And thank you so much for subscribing and leaving comments! They put the biggest and stupidest smile on my face ^___^ Again, I'm sorry for the delay! Enjoy~!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Practices had become increasingly brutal for the trainees. 

Training sessions were back to back or even double-booked sometimes. "How do you even double-book a timeslot?!" a worn out trainee thinks to herself. Everyone was constantly working. "Practice, practice, practice and when you think you've practiced enough, practice some more." was the motto that echoed in their ears.

But to her, practice is everything. She's one of the better dancers in the group with great precision and stage presence - a real natural.  When she moves, she's thinking about how dancing is more than just choreography. "The lyrics tell a story or convey a feeling but it's the dance that acts it out for the audience. We are the storytellers, the performers." While the rest of the girls groaned about it, she secretly loved the 3AM (trainees get the crappy timeslots) practices and the sweat and soreness that came with it. "While everyone out there sleeps away, I'm working on my dreams." 

There was never a day the trainees weren't doing something - even if they were sick. "Oh? A cold? OK put on your face mask and watch recorded performances of your oppas and unnies. You'll learn a thing or two." Or if a trainee was particularly unlucky, there was always the suggestion to work on lyric composition and music theory. Regardless, this was called, "active rest" or what the girls liked to call "slow torture".

But sometimes they had a different kind of free time: "productive free-time", where there was time alloted for working on anything they wanted provided there was an available practice room or trainer. This particular dance-obsessed trainee almost always picked the practice room.

One evening, while checking the studio schedule, she found 'Empty 7-8 PM'. "Perfect! All mine since everyone will be having dinner." She turned to leave but something caught her eye; above the empty timeslot was a section labeled, "Supplementary Dance Lessons 6-7 PM". "Hm? Is this a dance workshop? Can I join?" She peered into the studio and not a single soul was in sight. She looked down at her watch: 6:19 PM. A trainer walked by and she quickly caught his attention and inquired about it.

"Oh that? It's for those who need help or more practice on their choreo." "But who would need extra help?" The trainer shook his head "The ones who forget the moves - Bom and TOP."

The trainee was slightly taken aback. She heard rumours about them forgetting steps here and there but never really believed it since they were idols. Now, in her mind, attaining idol status was equated with being perfect in everything. But idols are humans, too. "I guess that rumour is true..."

She struggled with this idea and the trainer picked up on her puzzled face. "The two of them don't grasp it as quickly as the others. So we just go over the basics - footwork, timing - stuff like that."

"Do they come to the lessons regularly then?" "Well, it depends on their memory!" The trainer guffawed at his own joke while a wide-eyed trainee, whose mouth was just as open as her eyes, simply stared back at him. "Is this funny to them?!"

His laughter subsided as he wiped the slight moisture from the corner of his eyes. "Hey, you're not doing anything right now..." "Uh oh" she thought to herself. She knew the tone that came frequently from her elders; it forced trainees to do gopher work and run stupid errands. "Why don't you go fetch them?"

She sighed and made her way over to the cafeteria. "Bom-unnie HAS to be here of all places, right?" While three quarters of 2NE1 were eating, unfortunately, Bom wasn't one of them The trainee made her way over to her unnies. She greeted them and bowed on top of apologizing for disturbing their meal.

"No need to apologize! Have you eaten yet? Come sit with us!" Sandara cheerfully offered. The young girl regretfully shook her head and politely asked if any of them had seen Bom.

"Huh. She was in the gym with us before we came down here but we must have lost her along the way." Sandara noted. "Oh!" Minji blurted. "I think I saw her with oppa-" at this point, Chaerin shot dagger eyes at the 2NE1 maknae.

"Maybe you should try the 2nd floor lounge." the leader suggested cooly but with a smile. "Just as expected...she's tough as nails." The trainee bowed and promised to visit her unnies when she could, which was strongly suggested by Sandara in an attempt to cover up Chaerin's blunt attitude.

She passed the recording room and made her way to the lounge where she heard cheering and the sound effects of video games. When she knocked and entered the room, she was greeted by its only occupants: Seungri, Youngbae, and Jiyong.

"Are you going to join us? He's really easy to beat." Jiyong said as he pointed to Seungri. "Hey, hey! You grabbed the controller from me and I lost!" the maknae protested. Then he turned to the young girl and said, "Ah but if you join us, I will be gentle with you." which elicited a big laugh from Jiyong.

The trainee smiled sweetly and thanked him for the offer. She asked if they had seen TOP.

"Hyung? He's in the PC Cafe." Youngbae answered without taking his eyes of the screen. "And he didn't even look up once. The rumour about Youngbae being shy/mildly afraid of women? True." The trainee mentally made a check mark in her head. She thanked them and left but not before promising Seungri that she'd play at least one video game with him. "What a charmer."

The trainee finally made her way to the 4th floor. The entire level was silent except for her sneakers. "If Bom-unnie isn't there then at least I can get TOP-oppa and then this wild goose chase will be over."

She reached the room and as soon as she entered she saw TOP. He was at the computer terminal closest to the door. "Ah, TOP-oppa you're-" He quickly shook his head and pushed a finger wearing a huge ring against his lips, using the universal sign for 'shh! be quiet'. He glanced beside him at a slumped figure on a keyboard. The trainee could see a hint of red from underneath the hoodie that was breathing deeply in an unmistakable slumber. His gaze lingered a bit until the young girl shuffled her feet. He slowly got up and motioned to step outside of the room.

TOP gently closed the door behind him and lead her a few paces away from the door. He had a serious and hard look on his face - a no nonsense kind of look. He spoke in a hushed tone even though they were outside. "I apologize if you needed to use a computer. I found her napping in here and thought it was best not to disturb her." The trainee whispered back. "I understand but I was told to fetch you two for your dance lessons...?"

"Ah, right." He coughed a little and asked if she could tell the trainer she couldn't find them. "O-of course, oppa! But is she okay though?"

His gaze fell downwards and he answered in an even quieter tone. "She's been very tired lately. I think she is under a lot of stress..." The girl had to strain to hear that response. She didn't know what to say. He continued. "Sometimes I wish she wouldn't overwork herself." "But isn't she notorious for being a slacker?" the trainee blurted out. "Oh no. OH NO. What did I do?! That was extremely disprespectful. Stupid, stupid rumours! Stupid word vomit!" She bit down on her tongue in case it dared to act out and betray her with another brainless comment.

The trainee bowed from the waist down and apologized for what she said. A smile appeared on TOP's face. "What? So I'm not going to die today?"

"She may seem like that on the outside but she's one of the most hardworking people I know. And I've known her for quite a while."

"I-" the girl hesistated with pushing her luck but TOP gestured for her to finish. "I just thought... because she's not as serious as the others..."

He let out a small chuckle. "A different kind of serious. She's definitely different." At that last sentence, the trainee couldn't help but giggle in agreement. The two of them nodded to each other as they both knew what the other person was thinking - Park Bom was certainly an odd one.

The trainee bowed and said goodbye. He waved as he quietly entered the room again. Before she turned away, she peered inside. A sheet of paper taped onto the monitor in front of TOP caught her eye. "Huh? It's one of those out of order signs..." And just as the door came to a close, she caught a glimpse of TOP. He leaned over with his face close to the hooded head. "HUH?!" She was unable to continue that thought when her watched beeped the time: 7:00PM.

 

As she rushed to the dance studio, she bumped into a fellow trainee. "Hey! I was just about to text you - the room's available." "Yeah, I'm headed over there now." The trainee was about to run off when she cocked her head to the side. "Wait, this girl is pretty close with Bom-unnie and she's a big TOP fan. I wonder if she knows anything..." "Hey, do you know if there's something going on between Bom-unnie and TOP-oppa?" As soon as she finished her question, the other trainee scrunched her face and let out a big "pfffffft!" "Those two together? Please! I have a better chance than unnie."

"But have you ever noticed how he looks at her?" The trainee pushed. The other girl lowered her eyebrows and gave her an unimpressed look while shaking her head. "That guy is always spacing out. I don't even know how you could differentiate between his looks. Hm? Trust me."

"Yeah, I guess you're right." she mumbled and dismissed her vivid imagination.

"Well, you better grab that studio before someone else does!"

The trainee snapped out of it and ran off in the opposite direction while the other trainee sighed and thought to herself, "What happens if I'm not around to dispel rumours like this? You're SO obvious, TOP-oppa."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

TOP was reading an email on his iPhone when it powered off. He sighed and hoisted himself off the sofa and exited the recording room. He entered the PC Cafeteria and his features softened' he noticed a certain noona of his sleeping, possibly drooling, on a keyboard. Her face was buried into her arms. He sat down quietly next to her. The rhythm of her breathing was steady. He listened closely while watching her small, huddled frame rise up and down with every breath. He said her name to see if she'd wake. She didn't even budge. He leaned in closer and watched the side of her face. He moved his hand towards her. He hesistated, with his hand in mid-air. He took a deep breath and her scent - shampoo, perfume, whatever it was - filled his senses. It was light, a bit floral, mixed in with her. He continued moving his hand closer and his fingers lightly swept her hair out of her face. He stared at her closed eyes. He smiled at how peaceful she looked but then it disappeared as he noticed the apparent exhaustion on her face. He started to gently pull his hand away but he felt her stir underneath his fingertips. He immediately froze and didn't dare to move his hand in case it woke her. While still snoozing away, she simply readjusted and turned her head, so she was facing him. At this point, his hand was practically cupping her sleeping face. He swallowed nervously as he gently brought his hand closer to the side of her face. She was soft and warm. A delicate buzzing became apparent in his chest. He smiled contentedly and whipsered, "so cute." He moved his hand away and pulled her hood over her head and lightly patted the back of it. He heard someone walking in the hallway. He straightened his back and waited.