A Message

The Observations of a YG Trainee (Oneshot Series)

HI! I'm back! I'm so sorry for the big hiatus >_< please forgive me! Anyway, special thanks to cheer-123 for giving me the idea to do it from Bom's POV. It's not entirely (I will seriously do this this later) but sort of! So I hope you like this! I also have another chapter idea, so please expect an update really soon! I promise! 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

If it was one thing this particular trainee hated it was composing songs. You could give her 3 AM dance practices or 5 hour long vocal lessons and she wouldn't complain. But if it was one thing she absolutely hated, it was this. She knew the great G-Dragon set the bar by writing songs every week and then every day but no matter how many times she revisited it nothing came to her mind. Originality? Nope. Poetic arrangements? Not here. Creative flair? Hopeless. "Don't get me wrong" she thought to herself as she faceplanted on her notebook. "I understand how beautiful lyrics can be and I can appreciate the progression within a song. But this?" She let out a big sob which only served to leave a drool mark on her paper. The trainee next to her stopped writing only to roll her eyes at her.

"This is torturous! How can they trap us in a room like this! This is abusive!" she exclaimed. Another trainee sitting across from her made a noise with her tongue. "We've been here for like a half-hour. It's not that bad - let me help you." she offered. The trainee lifted her face only to reveal a blank sheet of paper. "I'm hopless!" she exclaimed while she pretended to cry, hoping someone would donate a lyric or two to her cause. No luck. "You better write something. Last time Teacher said we couldn't leave without submitting some kind of work." The moping trainee sat straight up. "What?! Where was I when he said that?" The trainee beside her slumped her shoulders. "You already bolted out of the room when the session was over." 

The trainee contorted her face as if she was in great pain. Before a complaint could escape from her, the door burst open. "Alright, girls! How are we doing? It's time for choreo in the practice room, so submit your lyrics and we'll discuss them tomorrow." The girls obediently packed up their pencil cases and collected their notebooks, except for one trainee. "Nothing again?" he asked with a concerned tone. She shook her head. The girls started filing out of the room as he contined. "Do you remember what we talked about last time? Drawing upon personal experiences?' She gave him a very matter-of-fact look as she answered him. "Teacher, I've lead a very happy no-nonsense life for the past 15 years which has been quite simple and uneventful. Either that or... I just can't get it down on paper..." she said as she looked down at her feet. He sighed. "Look, I'm going to need at least something so we can start somwhere and work our way up. I'll be back in a few hours. Just try again, ok?" He exited the room and left a lone trainee by herself with her uncreative thoughts and a blank sheet of paper. 

She kicked her legs out in front of her and leaned back in her chair. She whistled a tune. She played with the eraser dust. She did everything but write down a single thoughtShe resumed her position and placed her head face down on her notebook. 

The door opened again and she bolted up. This time it was Teddy Park. Her face relaxed and she greeted him. He asked her what she was doing here alone and she explained her plight to him.

"Yeah, it's not easy." he confided. "You really need to relax and let your thoughts flow freely with your pencil." "Is it really a matter of relaxation?" she asked herself. She didn't want to seem nosey but she was desperate, so she mustered up her courage and asked about what he knew of other artists and where they got their inspiration from. It took him a moment before he answered. "A message." She cocked her head to the side. "Do you have examples? OH! Didn't you recently work with unnie on 'Don't Cry'? I love that song!" She gushed. "She could sing a shallow song about food and it would still be mesmerising to me!" Teddy chuckled. "Bom has a beautiful voice but you understand that pairing it with passionate lyrics is a deadly combination, right?" She nodded reluctantly. "Well, where did her inspiration come from?"

Teddy was just about to answer her when his phone went off. "Oh! Speak of the devil... Hello? Chaerin? Yeah, she's running late but listen, I've got a fan of yours here, so why don't you and Sandara come over and say hi? Yeah, we're in the conference room. Okay, see you in a bit." A wide-eyed trainee stared at him as he put his phone away. "She's coming? She must be busy - we shouldn't bother her! I don't want her to know how stupid I am..." she stammered. "Don't worry about it. We're all here to help you guys, so don't hesitate to ask for it." The trainee felt so shy and happy as she nodded. "YG Family, eh?"

The door burst open and in came Bom and Sandara. "Oh! This is my fan!" Bom exclaimed as she shook her hand while giggling. "What a cute dongsaeng!" The trainee greeted them both and smiled shyly. "Thanks for coming. Our little trainee here is having trouble with lyrics and we wanted to know what inspired you to write 'Don't Cry'?" Bom's eyes widened at the trainee while Sandara and Teddy shared a knowing grin.

Bom's eyes wandered the room before answering. "Well..." she started out slowly. "I got the idea from lovers who were separate... oh, like Romeo and Juliet!" she nodded to herself in approval. "Yes, you see, when I wrote the song I wanted to convey the message of, uh, a prince and a princess who really liked each other and wanted to be together but since they were always in the public eye.. you know, royalty stuff... um it was difficult especially since their loyal fa- ahem, subjects would disagree to them being in love because of their..." Bom made two fists punching each other. "Families feuding with each other?" Sandara answered while grinning stupidly. "Yes -oh! And there was a very strict King - mean man. Unreasonably mean sometimes!" Bom pouted. Teddy sniggered. "Also, this prince, he had like a bunch of prince-brothers and most of them were nice about it except one of them." "Prince-brother?" the trainee repeated back. "Is that even a word?" "Yeah, his prince-brother was all about work and looking out for him and blah blah blah but the princess, she had wonderful princess- uh, princess-sisters. But, where was I? Oh yeah, It's a love story but they can't be together. Oh! And they would fight with each other, too. A lot." The trainee just stared at Bom. "And you know, the princess was totally willing to work things out but the prince can... h-he can be so stubborn and single-minded sometimes that it was just a stupid, stupid idea in the first place." Bom huffed. Sandara gave a hopeless look to Teddy and he responded by rolling his eyes.

Meanwhile, the trainee continued staring at Bom. "But they don't die like in the story? Even though you say, "in the next life, we will see each other again?"" Bom responded while laughing nervously, "No. I mean, yes that is the lyrics but there's no dying. I thought maybe, you know, if they weren't royalty in another life then they could finally be together." she shrugged her shoulders. "Just my creative imagination, right..." The trainee looked at Teddy and Sandara and then back at Bom. Bom let out a tiny gulp. "Wow! Unnie... that's so deep! Oh my goodness. This storyline. Where did- you know, you could really write some awesome Alternate Universe Romeo and Juliet fanfiction?" Bom answered with an "eh?" and the trainee nodded her head enthusiastically. "I feel like I understand it so much more. It's so bittersweet now. Will they be together in the end?"

Bom shifted her feet. "That's a bit more complicated." she answered with a tiny voice. The trainee didn't pick up on that but simply looked at Bom with her gullible eyes and nodded for her to continue. Bom let out a weak laugh. "Who knows, right? I didn't get that far in my writing." Bom started to fidget with the hem of her sweater. "It's been so long and there's distance between them. And deep down inside the princess hopes for something but she doesn't know what that is. And she waits but she doesn't know what for. I don't know - a sign, a gesture - something that tells her to keep holding on." At this point, Teddy looked down at the ground while readjusting his cap and Sandara bit the bottom of her lip. "It's hard sometimes... uh, because the royalty, you know, have to attend functions and the princess and prince are so close to each other, sometimes even seeing and working with each other everyday, but they're so far apart." Bom's voice grew smaller. "So it hurts to see him and act like nothing's wrong..." Bom was almost whispering at this point. "But like all princesses, she needs to be strong for her subjects." she said with renewed effort. "...even if that means pretending to be happy." The room was silent. The trainee thought to herself "Wait, she looks so miserable right now. Either that or... she's the most amazing songwriter ever!" "Omo, I think my heart just broke, unnie. You're so good at this. Teach me!" Bom smiled warmly at her and let out a giggle. "Just write whatever is in your heart because that's what is most truthful and will reach people."

"We should probably go find the others." Sandara gently commented. Bom nodded. "I hope I helped you out!" Bom held both of the trainee's hands. "Let's talk again sometime! Fighting!" she said as she squeezed them. The trainee squeezed back and thanked them as she said goodbye to the three of them. She sat back down in front of her notebook. Thoughts flooded her mind as she picked up the pencil and wrote them all down.

"And done! Oh shoot! Practice is almost over." The trainee raced out of the room to find her teacher. She saw him eating a bowl of noodles in the cafeteria alone while reading the trainee notebooks. "I'm finished!" she exclaimed as she whacked her open notebook down on the pile and then zoomed off in the opposite direction. He let out a reluctant smile. "Finally! Let's see..." as he scanned the page. Minutes passed and his noodles dropped a few degrees in temperature. This is... "Oh, hello Teacher!" a deep voice came from behind him. The teacher tore his eyes away from the page. "Ah, Seunghyun! Good to see you. Sit, sit! How are you?" TOP set his coffee cup down as he slid in to the seat next to him. "I'm well. How about you? You're looking a bit tired." The teacher shrugged his shoulder. "I've got my hands full with the new trainees. Lyrics!" he said as he showed TOP the stack of notebooks. "May I have a look?" TOP asked as he craned his neck to look at them. "Sure, go ahead! Although, I must warn you - this one is a bit, ehh..." TOP pulled the notebook in front of him. He read the page and everything was quiet save for the teacher slurping up his noodles. TOP flipped the page to see if there was any more but it was blank. He re-read the first page and then let out a cough while covering his mouth with his fist. "Gee, you've really let loose with the rules, huh?" The teacher raised his hands up like a suspect. "I didn't tell her to write any of this! I have no clue where she got the idea from. But hey at least it's something, right?" TOP flattened out the dog-eared corner. "Really? It's about princesses." The teacher choked on his soup. "But I like happy endings." TOP continued. "Keep an eye on her" he said as he got up from his seat. 

The teacher let out a sigh and read through the last bit of the lyrics.

I keep waiting and wishing. I turn away on the possibility of us. Then you come rushing back to me. You've slayed the dragon that created this hole in my heart. You're my prince and I'm your princess. Nothing can keep us apart.

 

The walk to Teddy's studio was a quiet one. Not one word was said as the three walked down the halls. "Oppa! Where have you been? I've been waiting for you guys!" Teddy chuckled. "Hey, hey! You're the one who was running late." Chaerin let out a sheepish smile. "Okay, let's record! I'm so pumped ...to get LONELY!" The girls settled in and organised themselves. "Bommie-unnie, I have a coupon for soft-serve, so let's work hard and then treat ourselves!" Chaerin squealed. "You're coming, too, Teddy-oppa." "Now that depends on how well you girls do, right Bommie?" he gave a concerned look to her. "Mm." she responded without looking up from the sheet. Sandara worriedly glanced over at her and then back at the group. Minji and Chaerin looked at each other. "Okay, let's start then?" "Okay, girls. Let's do a read-through - we'll go in order and then once we've set the tone, we'll start individual recordings." 

Bom was still in her own world as she stared at the paper as Chaerin nodded for Teddy to start. "Okay, ready? Start on three." Teddy said. "One, two, three."

The guitar opening for "Lonely" came on and Chaerin started singing.

[CL] The words I'm saying right now, I don't know if they'll hurt you

Bom's eyes were glazed over as she kept her head down and a memory popped in to her head. "And you're okay with this? You're happy with throwing all of this away? How selfish can you be? 

[MINJI] You, saying that I'm not the same as I used to be, is not completely untrue
[DARA] You are so kind but That's the way you are but oh

Bom felt the tiniest tug on the corners of , "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have lashed out like that. Why does it seem like I'm the only one feeling anything here? I'm sorry. I-I just get really worried, mostly scared..."

[CL] I don't know I don't know Why I am like this
[DARA] We were so in love, and you're here now but oh
[MINJI] I don't know
[DARA] I want to find myself now

Bom took in a deep breath and sang.

[BOM] Baby I'm sorry, even when I'm with you, I'm Lonely I must be lacking when it comes to love, please forgive this horrible person I am

Bom barely finished the sentence before abruptly standing up and running out of the room. 

Chaerin stood up but Teddy gently held her arm back. "Let her go." "What's wrong with her?" Teddy had a guilty look on his face. Sandara answered. "A trainee asked her what 'Don't Cry' was about." Minji let out a soft "oh" and Chaerin slumped back down in to her chair. "I'll get her in a few minutes. Let's do what we can right now." 

Bom ran down the hall straight towards the women's washroom. Her vision was blurry and her eyes were stinging. She quickly turned the corner and dashed in to the washroom. TOP had just seen a hoodie-wearing figure clad in shorts and a loose sweater turn the corner. "Bom?" he looked down the hallway she just came from and then slowly neared the door. His face drained of colour. He looked at the ground in front of him before turning on his heel with a pained expression on his face as he went to rejoin the rest of BIGBANG down the hall. 

"Ah! Hyung there you are." Daesung greeted. TOP nodded and made his way straight to Youngbae in the corner. "You need to go to the washroom?" TOP asked/demanded. Youngbae squinted his eyes. "Do I?" he asked TOP but mainly to himself out loud. TOP had a serious look on his face and he nodded curtly. "You're right. I think I do. Well, it wouldn't hurt - I mean, yeah I'll be back guys." Youngbae left the room and walked towards the men's washroom. He was about to enter until he heard something from the women's washroom. Someone was crying and sniffling but mainly crying. Youngbae, having little to regard with women's issues, burst in to the washroom. "Bom?" Bom was bent over the sink and dabbing at her eyes uselessly as fresh tears came out. "Yah! Youngbae you're not a girl!" she said with a frown. "What's wrong, noona?" he rushed over and placed a hand on her shoulder. She looked back at her reflection in the mirror. "I'm so lonely..." she whispered. Youngbae felt his heart ache and he pulled Bom in to a warm hug. Her sobs were muffled by his sweater and her body shook. Youngbae patted her back while supplying her with more tissues. "Just let it out, Bommie. It'll be okay." 

TOP stared at the women's washroom door. He turned away while rubbing his eyes as headed for the rooftop. "I need a cigarette."