Chapter 1

The Observations of a YG Trainee (Oneshot Series)

Becoming a YG Trainee has been the best thing of her entire 15 years she’s lived on this planet. It’s not saying much since she’s only a kid. But she knows this is her dream. And once you’re in this type of industry, you’re in it for life. and she couldn’t be any happier than pursuing her (literal) childhood dreams with the YG Family.

The YG Family. The talent and hard work here is just present everywhere in everyone. The dedication here is amazing. The other girls she’s debuting with are insanely good at what they do and make her want to work even harder. As for being called the future 2NE1? She laughs and shakes her head. “I really hope we can live up to that name or even a fraction of it. I idolize 2NE1. They are absolutely fantastic at what they do and it is an honour having them as our unnies.” And then there’s BIGBANG. She has had a crush on TOP-oppa for as long as she can remember but fangirling is strictly prohibited - the trainer tells her it isn’t professional. But secretly in the back of her head when she’s lying like a starfish on the training room floor, she’s thinking that a 9-year isn’t so bad and that she just needs to get as close as possible...

There’s a YG Family company dinner tonight. She makes sure to sit right in front of TOP. She’s eyeing  and smiling at him like crazy. Gummy, Se7en, Teddy, and Jiyoung notice the puppy eyes and giggling coming from her at everything little thing that comes out of TOP’s mouth. “What a cute trainee” and “she’s going to get her heart broken” are whispered among them. She’s that obvious. She doesn’t realize this. Instead, she’s thinking “what a handsome guy” and “he’s really my type!”

But something is nagging at her. She watches him so intently and can’t help but notice his gaze wanders down the table every so often. “Who’s over there?” She peers down the table and sees the 2NE1 unnies. She looks back at TOP and- “What? That’s Bom-unnie!” For the next hour, she tracks the blue-haired oppa glancing at the red-haired unnie at the table. “There! And there again! Those glances. He’s glanced in her direction twice every minute.” She observes him quietly. The glance slips in between subtle and obvious (well, obvious if you’re a 15 year old boring holes into TOP’s face). It’s different. It’s nothing she’s ever seen before in the countless MVs, CFs, or movies where he’s gazing into a woman’s eyes. This look is full - it’s soaked in longing, attraction, and something else she can’t grasp. He doesn’t simply look at her but studies her face. ”Does anyone else notice?” she asks herself. “It’s really obvious!” He’ll laugh at something and then his eyes will flicker into Bom-unnie’s direction and she swears for a second that his smile grows even larger each time. Or when she’s speaking, he looks at her carefully with his full attention. He’s nodding at all the right parts so naturally. “Is there something going on between them?” she wonders. And suddenly, she doesn’t feel like smiling or giggling anymore. Suddenly, she isn’t so happy and instead feels anger. Anger towards her unnie. “She’s an airhead and has a plastic face!” she yells inside her mind. “Why her?! What does she have that I don’t have or can’t gain?” She’s frowning. “She’s fat and ugly. Really, really ugly and I HATE HER.”

Dessert is served and a particularly upset YG Trainee doesn’t feel like eating these dumb little cute cakes or sipping the stupid fruit tea. She feels a tap on her thigh and she notices a red-haired unnie crouching just behind her seat. “Are you okay? I noticed that you looked a bit sad. Is everything alright?” asks Bom. “Why is she being so nosy? I really hate her.” “Uhh, yes everything is alright Bom-unnie” she says politely while giving her best and most fake sweet smile. She notices her unnie’s expression softens a bit. “I know you’re new to all of this and sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming. It’s tough being a young girl and having to act maturely at such a young age.” her unnie remarks. “What is she getting at?” Why does she even care?” “But you have gotten yourself quite far and that is very impressive. I’m quite proud of you! But what I really wanted to say was that if you ever need any kind of help or anything, please come to me. If you need advice or just someone to listen to you, me or any of the other 2NE1 unnies will gladly listen.” The young girl listens and is drawn into Bom’s bright eyes. Her internal frown is no longer angry but sad that she ever thought horrible things to her beautiful and caring unnie. She wasn’t acting maturely at all. She feels guilty as Bom smiles at her cheerfully. “But you should really come to me - I’m a lot more helpful than those other girls!” she says while winking. “I will, Bom-unnie. And thank you very much. You’re...you’re surprisingly very nice.” Bom laughs a very hearty laugh. “Thank you! Oh what a cute dongsaeng! I’ll look after you especially!” she says while squeezing the trainee’s hand. “You should really take a bite of the desserts... or I’ll take yours!” her unnie teases. She feels colour coming back to her cheeks and smiles back at Bom.

After the dinner when everyone is mingling in the lounge, a young YG Trainee sits near an older rapper. “Oh, hello.” he says with his deep voice. She eyes him at first very carefully. “We don’t know each other very well yet but I’m looking forward to being a part of the YG Family.” He nods slowly but unsure of where she’s going with this. “As your dongsaeng or figurative little sister, I feel obligated to tell you something very important.” Now, the rapper is just plain confused with this girl. She leans in closer and puts her hand up close to as a little cover for her secret. “You’re SO obvious, TOP-oppa.” “Eh?” is all he can say in response. She closes her eyes and nods wisely. “You’re like a puppy in love!” TOP reaches for the back of neck and chuckles. A knowing smile appears on his face. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” he says with a shake of his head. “You’re weird, oppa! How can you smile and say that?” She looks over her shoulder and her pretty red-haired unnie waves frantically at her, almost like a child. “I really like her, too. So... don’t hurt her or make her cry, got it?” TOP chuckles a bit while playing with one his rings. Then his smile slowly fades and his face becomes serious and... almost a little sad if she looked a bit longer. “I know.” he says. The girl feels like she’s stumbled upon something sacred. Something that was obvious long before her observations. The trainee looks at his gloomy face. She lightly punched his shoulder. “You’re really weird, oppa.” His smile finds its way back to his face. “Look after her, will you?” he asks. She gives him her biggest smile and bows her head at him before walking away.