Ready, Set, Go

Pit Stop

 

            The race went a little like this: I went against B-Bomb, Junyoung went against U-Kwon, and Dongjun went against TaeWoon.

            It started off okay. I won my lap by a few seconds, U-Kwon beat Junyoung pretty quickly, but once Dongjun got started, he was able to catch up. Him and TaeWoon were head to head. The crowd was screaming encouragements and both teams were already convinced that they were gonna win. We were all screaming at the top of lungs, our eyes only on Dongjun’s car.

            Which is why we didn’t notice TaeWoon’s car inching towards him.

            In a split second, the two cars collided, and Dongjun’s car spun out of control, gliding off of the tracks and spinning onto the grass. His car flipped three times before coming to a stop, upside down. TaeWoon crossed the finish line but no one went forward to congratulate him. There was a moment where everyone seemed to be frozen, then finally someone let out a terrified scream.

            We were in action a moment later. Kevin and I made it to the car first, diving down onto our stomachs as soon as we got there. Dongjun was badly cut up all over his face from the glass, there was also a huge gash going across his chest and stomach. Pain was written all over his face.

            “Dongjun-ah,” I said, trying my best to keep my voice from showing the panic that I felt. He looked at me with a desperate look in his eyes.

            “I’m going to die, aren’t I?” he asked, his voice shaking.

            I shook my head. “Kwanghee’s getting help right now. You’re going to be fine.”  I looked over at Kevin, who was trying to get the passenger door open. “Kevin, stop. We shouldn’t mess with the car. Once the ambulance gets here, they’ll do something.”

            I could hear the sirens already blaring, but they seemed so far away. Actually, though, they were right behind me. Siwan had to pull me up and away from the car to allow the paramedics to do their job, but I wanted to be close to Dongjun. I wanted to make sure that he was ok as they got him out of the totaled car. We all reluctantly stepped back to allow room for the cops and fireman to help, but none of us looked away.

            I sank to the floor as they finally pulled Dongjun out of the car, only to have one of the paramedics perform CPR on him until they could get a gurney over to him. Another paramedic came over to us.

            “One of you can ride in the van with us.” She said. I instantly stepped forward.

            “We’ll meet you there.” Hyunshik muttered, following after the guys as they climbed into the other cars.

            I sat down in the ambulance as they pulled Dongjun in. I tried my best not to break down into tears at the sight of him, but by the time we got to the hospital, I was losing that battle.

            Luckily, Dongjun never saw me cry. They rushed him into emergency surgery and as they did, Siwan pulled me into a comforting hug as the tears finally fell.

            I couldn’t tell you how long we’d been sitting in the waiting room. Cops came in every so often to talk to one of us. We had to explain over and over again about how the “accident”—we all knew it wasn’t an accident—had happened. Apparently, the cops hadn’t been able to find any of the guys from Block B after the accident had been cleared up. They’d all run like the cowards they were.

            Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the surgeon came out to talk to us. We all bowed respectfully, anticipating his news. He looked at us with exhausted eyes, and said, “We tried everything.”

            It felt surreal, standing there, listening to the doctor explain how Dongjun had died from blood loss. Died. Dongjun was dead.

            Any strength I had had left disappeared. Lucky for me, Heechul caught me before I fell to the ground. More tears.

 

 

            Next couple of weeks went by too slow, in my opinion. We had to talk to the cops even more, talk to the doctors more, but we didn’t speak to each other. In fact, as I stood behind the bar at work a couple weeks later, I realized we’d all been in the same room for days but didn’t speak a word to each other. I didn’t even know what any of them were doing at the moment.

            I leaned against the counter and sighed. That’s when the bell over the door rang. I looked up to see ChaEun standing in front of me. She looked as if she hadn’t slept in days and done nothing but cry instead.

            “You heard?” I asked, in a slightly angry tone.

            “I need to talk to you.” She replied.

            I nodded and gestured for her to follow me to the back of the bar. There, she paced for a moment before turning to look at me.

            “There’s something you don’t know about me, unnie.” She began. “I’m not who you think I am.”

            I crossed my arms and glared at her. “What are you talking about, ChaEun?”

            “You didn’t make the connection?” she waited for an answer, but when I didn’t, she smirked. She let out a sigh and glanced around before looking back at me, all signs of exhaustion or tears gone from her face. “Unnie, you think I’m Siwan’s girl, don’t you? Well you’re wrong.” She laughed and put her hands on her hips. “I’ve always been Block B’s girl. Why do you think I was never there when ZE:A raced against them?”

            Once that sank in for me, I started to get defensive, backing towards the door. “What?” I demanded.

            “You heard me.” ChaEun snapped. “I’ve been pretending to be who you think I am to help Block B. I’m a spy, you idiot.”  She let out a harsh laugh. “I’ve been learning about you guys and reporting back to Block B. that’s how they knew who was going to race against them at the last race. That’s how they knew who to take out. Dongjun.”

            “Why?” I asked, my voice shaking.

            ChaEun gave me a “duh” look. “They knew you wouldn’t race if your precious maknae was gone. That’s what makes you so pathetic. All you sympathy towards each other was holding you back, and now ZE:A’s done.” She flicked her hair behind her shoulder and smiled. “By the way, thanks so much for taking such great care of me. You made it so easy.” Then she passed by me and went back into the bar. I stood there in disbelief, feeling as if the world was caving in. I’d known that there was no way TaeWoon had accidently hit Dongjun like that, but ChaEun? That I was not expecting.

            I ended up in front of the guy’s dorm, banging on the door. Taehun opened it.

            I was at a loss for words but Taehun seemed to notice. He grabbed me around the waist and led me to the couch in their living room, where everyone else was hanging around.

            “EunKyung, what’s wrong?” he asked, kneeling in front of me.

            “ChaEun talked to me today.” I said after a moment.

            “Yeah?” Heechul muttered. “Did she explain why she abandoned us?”

            I nodded. “She was a spy. She’s working for Block B. They planned the whole thing. The race, who was going against who, D-Dongjun’s crash.” This was the first time I’d said his name since he’d died, and it felt weird on my mouth. The boys were silent for a moment, but once Hyunshik said, “I’ll kill them all.” They all erupted in anger. I was taken by surprise by their reaction. I’d known they’d be upset by the news, but now Hyunshik, Kwanghee, Minwoo and Kevin were planning on how they’d get their revenge on Block B. I turned to look at Junyoung who had fallen silent, watching the guys rant and yell.

            “Aren’t you going to do something?” I asked. He nodded and stood up.

            “Yah!” he yelled, silencing the boys. He paused for a second and looked around at us. “ZE:A’s done.” He said, before turning and going to his room.

            There was a moment of silence. Finally, Kevin went to go talk to Junyoung. There was a bit of yelling from Junyoung when finally Kevin stormed out of the room and went straight to the front door.

            “I’m out.” He muttered, slamming the door behind him.

            Junyoung stepped out of his room and looked at the rest of us. “If you’re leaving, I’d leave now.” He snapped.

            No one moved for a minute. Then, Kwanghee and Minwoo both stood up, they glanced around at us before leaving the dorm.

            No one spoke. Because there was nothing to say. There was just nothing at all.