The Others

Pit Stop

 

            “Moon Junyoung!” their leader called out as the walked towards us, looking like complete models.

            I rolled my eyes and turned to share a look with Kevin. He shook his head and turned back to wiping the windows down, muttering under his breath, “It’s for the money.”

            Yeah, the guys race for money. People come, watch, and bet and the winner get 40% of the earnings. Which was exactly what the guys needed considering they all lived in a four-roomed dorm. Needless to say, this was serious. Of course, even without the money, it was still ZE:A versus Block B. That was always serious.

            I never really understood the rivalry between the two teams, I just knew they hated each other to the core and were willing to put their lives on the line just to beat each other. I remember Junyoung ranting about how their leader had always been flaunting his money around, and how the races were just a game to him, while everyone else were just trying to survive.

            Speaking of their leader, I guess I should introduce him and his team. Block B, Seoul’s richest racing team. Of  course, they’re not like millionaires or anything, they just are much better off than any other team in the history of illegal racing. (Ok, that might be exaggerating, but you get the point.) These guys strive in the spotlight, and because of their growing popularity, the spotlight only gets brighter for them.  Their leader, Woo TaeWoon, is a ladies man. Not like Kwanghee, though, because TaeWoon is a much smoother talker. His little brother is the co-leader, or the leader when TaeWoon isn’t there. His name is Woo JiHo, also known as Zico, he’s more of the weirder one. He’s got this quirky attitude with a sharp tongue. Then there’s Ahn JaeHyo, the one that can take on any dare, the one who “laughs in the face of danger” and the one who’s been hitting on me since we met two years ago. Honestly, he’s a pain in the , but he can find a problem in any car in seconds. They’ve got a maknae too. The kid’s name is Pyo JiHoon, but everyone calls him P.O for short. I literally don’t even know what to say about him. He’s weird and blunt and spacey, there’s just no other way to explain him. Then comes Seoul’s very own Lee MinHyuk, or B-Bomb. All awkwardness that’s there vanishes as soon as he’s in a car—definitely a force not to be reckoned with. Of course, they’ve got the “World’s Smartest Strategist” Lee TaeIl. Even I have to admit, he’s a genius. Their best driver is—no doubt—Kim YuKwon, or U-Kwon. If you can’t beat B-Bomb, there’s no way you’ll beat U-Kwon, and we all know it. And finally, there’s their best mechanic, Park Kyung. If JaeHyo can find the problem quickly, Kyung can fix it just as fast.

            All in all, these guys are trouble.

            So it’s a good thing we know them so well, cause that means we can beat them right? Too bad they know us just as well. That comes with the territory of being rivals, you get to unintentionally know each other. It’s like dating without the fun. 

            Tonight, the race was only going to be three laps around. There had been rumors from around the racing community that the police were going to be riding around looking for trouble, and racing—in their book—was trouble.

            “So, whose your racers tonight?” TaeWoon asked, shoving his hands in his pockets nonchalantly and leaning forward slightly.

            Junyoung was about to answer when Taehun cut in by saying, “You’ll find out.” He pulled Junyoung back towards our garage and forced him to keep walking as Block B called out taunts and their usual threats.

            “We’ll get them back, hyung, don’t worry.” Dongjun said, a look of determination on his face.

            “Of course we will!” Kwanghee practically shouted. He ignored our shushing him and yelled in the direction of Block B, “There’s no way they can beat us!”

            “You say that now.” Kyung yelled back. “But you’re just lying to yourselves. There’s no way you can win!” Then their group sauntered back to their cars to get ready.

            I don’t remember picking up a wrench and aiming it at the back of their heads, but I do remember Siwan having to talk me into giving him the wrench. I gave in after a few seconds and he took the wrench and moved it far, far away from me.

            We spent the next thirty minutes or so going over strategies. Heechul, our strategist, finally came up with a good enough plan and Taehun, Dongjun, and I climbed into the cars.

            The run-down stadium was packed with all kinds of people, screaming and cheering for their respected team.

            Before I got in the car, I walked over to where Dongjun had parked and leaned into the window.

            “Yah.” I smirked. “You win this and I’ll buy you something, ok?”

            He flashed a mischievous grin and nodded. “You better mean that. Since we’re gonna win, you know.”

            “You just focus on the road, don’t get cocky, maknae.”

            The race started just minutes later.