Bones

Safe & Sound

Luhan set his mug down by Kris’ knee and gave his lover a quick peck on the lips before hoisting himself up.

“I’m going to go for a shower” he mumbled absentmindedly and padded lightly over to grab a change of clothes from his dresser.

“Okay,” Kris replied, sounding somewhat lonely from his place on the balcony as he watched the smaller blonde collect his clothes and leave the room. He took a deep breath and looked out over the city but quickly grew upset with the silence and left the empty coffee mugs on the floor in favor of slipping back into the unmade bed.

Luhan pulled the bathroom door closed behind him with the soft click of the latch. He placed his change of clothes neatly on the corner of the sink counter before setting a large white towel from the towel cabinet on top. He made sure to take the bobby pins from his hair and set them in a small porcelain dish by the sink before he forgot about them. The taps whined out complaints as they were turned and Luhan drew the curtain before switching the flow of water to the shower head. He didn’t know why he still turned the tap for hot water, there was no reason to really, none would come with no power to heat it. Habit.

With the rustle of fabric he shed himself of his clothes, catching a glimpse of his bare form from the corner of his eye in the mirror. He was tempted to turn and look fully, but quickly thought against it and stepped into the tub. He hesitated a few minutes in the face of the cold water but eventually steeled himself and stepped under the frigid cascade. It was beyond freezing, but Luhan would rather be cold than dirty any day. He was shaking within minutes, icy water running down his back and numbing him to the bone.

With stiff fingers he grabbed one of the shampoo bottles from the shelf in the corner of the tub and squeezed a small amount on his hand before putting the bottle back and massaging the shampoo into his soaked locks. The only reason they still had some shampoo left was because they had just bought two new bottles before the war began. That, and they never used much to begin with unless they showered together and got carried away with covering every inch of skin and wall with bubbles. Although they usually used body soap for that. Which, ironically enough, they had run out of just the week before.

Luhan had to will himself back under the glacial pour to rinse out the suds and let them trail down over the sharp contours of his body. He took his face cloth from the side of the tub and ran it over his pale skin until he was sure he hadn’t missed a spot. With his scrubbing done he returned his face cloth to its place and twisted the taps until the water ceased.

As he pulled back the curtain and stepped out, he yanked his towel from the pile and suffocated his spindly frame in the fluffy white material. It took a while before his inner heat returned and dusted his skin a rushed pink, but he was none the less relieved to feel his limbs again. He made quick work of drying himself and reached for his clothes, but not before he caught his own eye in the mirror once more. He stopped this time and stared, searching for something he couldn’t even find in his own eyes.

Luhan clutched the towel to his chest and took a step back, breaking eye contact with his reflection only to give in and steal another look. He hated looking at himself now, but a part of him always wanted to just stare. In amazement, disbelief, and disgust. He gazed into the glass.

His eyes were sunken, his cheeks hollow. Ever so slowly, he moved the towel and let his body come into view for his reflection’s judging eyes. He trailed boney fingers over every accented curve. He counted protruding ribs, each one seemingly more visible than the next. His arms were past thin, looking as if any force could snap the bones clean, and his collarbones stuck out underneath strained skin. Ugly. His hips were sharp and his legs looked ready to give way under any extra weight. As he turned and looked over his shoulder his heart ached with an emotion he couldn’t place. His shoulder blades jutted out from his back and every vertebrae of his spine made itself known in a line of repulsive bumps.

Luhan screwed his eyes shut and hung his towel over his unsightly appearance. He decided he didn’t want to look anymore. Sure, he’d been thin before, but not like this. Never like this.

Before, he was small of course, but he was healthy. He didn’t have to starve himself or over exercise, he just ate right, stayed on his feet as much as he could in a day, and let his blessed metabolism take care of the rest. He was skinny, but it was a desirable skinny that people often envied and wanted for themselves. His curves were smooth, rounded. His skin soft, fair, pinchable.

What he wouldn’t give to have flesh on his bones again.

He shook regretful thoughts away and hastily got dressed. He had decided upon a blue and black striped tee, blue boxers, and black cargo shorts. Just because the public eye couldn’t see him didn’t mean he couldn’t match, even if all of his clothes were baggy on him now.

After deciding to leave his towel over the mirror as it was, he returned to the bedroom to find Kris already sound asleep with only his legs under the sheets. He let a small smile dance across his lips as he tiptoed over to the side of the bed and carefully climbed on. The bed sunk a little beneath him despite his absence of weight as he kneeled next to his sleeping boyfriend and ran his fingers gently over ribs not unlike his own. There wasn’t much left of Kris either. The only difference was he wasn’t as desperate to hide it as Luhan was.

Taking caution not to rouse Kris from his slumber, Luhan lay down horizontally across the bed and ever so lightly rested his head on Kris’ chest. He debated whether or not to wake his lover, if only to watch his eyes flutter open and see that sleepy smile he knew would grace Kris’ lips upon waking up to find him on his chest.

“How asleep are you?” Luhan whispered and delicately fixed Kris’ bangs so they wouldn’t fall into his eyes if he were to turn his head. He didn’t expect an answer, but Kris suddenly stirred and he pulled his hand back thinking it might get swatted at, only to witness lazy brown eyes blink open.

Kris stretched and rubbed the sleep from his eyes but stopped for a second as he realized the extra pressure on his chest. He looked down quizzically and focused his vision to see Luhan sprawled out against him and instantly smiled a drowsy smile.

“Hey,” Luhan said softly.

“Hey,” Kris returned and ran the back of his fingers over Luhan’s cheek and into his slightly damp hair.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you” Luhan apologized and shut his eyes with a contented hum as Kris kneaded a soothing thumb against his temple.

“That’s okay, I was only half asleep anyway” Kris said and watched as step by step his ministrations started to lull his smaller counterpart to sleep “Come here,” He coaxed and Luhan groggily pulled himself up and slid in under the sheets, hugging their bodies close.

“We can’t sleep all day you know” Luhan mumbled as he got comfortable.

“It’s not like we haven’t done it before” Kris retorted with a playful edge that earned him an equally as playful prod between the ribs.

“Can we play something after?” Luhan inquired and looked up at Kris with his excitable doe eyes.

“Not Monopoly.” Kris immediately interjected “We played that all last week”

“No, not Monopoly,” Luhan said with a bubbly laugh “I was thinking cards?”

“Cards would be fine, and I think Clue is still on top of the fridge?” Kris picked his brain trying to envision the board game atop the refrigerator.

“Okay,” Luhan nuzzled close and allowed himself to sink into the cosiness of the soft sheets and Kris’ warmth. Even though Luhan wasn’t one for mugginess or hot weather, the heat of another body was always a comfort above all else.

With no sounds to disturb them, they gradually fell into dreamless sleep.

 


 

A/N: And voila~! I don't really think I have any special things to put here, I just feel like I should always have an Author's Note. Maybe I'll just say that I have no clue when the next chapter will be up XD I've been having a lot of other ideas I want to delve into but I don't have enough time or a good enough flow to work on multiple stories all day long (Surprising right? XD) Maybe after another chapter I'll upload a few of my other ideas~
Anyways! Enjoy~!
 

~Multilyn♥