Hat Quartet

Safe & Sound

 

“Luhan, I’m telling you, this one” the hat Luhan had been trying on was swiftly popped from his head and a crimson one decorated with a gold buckle took its place.

“Jongin, are you sure?” Luhan asked as he tilted the hat’s rim to his liking and looked judgingly at his reflection in the mirror. Jongin’s own reflection from behind him only smiled.

“Trust me Lulu, red is definitely your color,” Kai whistled and returned the rejected hats to the rack, making sure to keep a black cap with rhinestone studs along the visor for himself.

“It makes your deer eyes pop~!” Jongin teased with the hand motions of something exploding and widened his own eyes for added affect. He then proceeded to laugh at his own apparently hilarious comment.

“Hey!” Luhan frowned and hit his friend’s shoulder but he couldn’t hold back a smile at Jongin’s infectious playfulness.

“Okay, okay, you’re right, the red one does look better,” Luhan said as he smothered Jongin’s decided black cap into his head, successfully messing up the boy’s hair underneath. “Right, Kris?” Luhan turned then to his boyfriend who had almost fallen asleep in one of the chairs meant for people trying on shoes.

“…What?” Kris croaked, blinking to try and refocus his attention on his doll faced shopaholic of a lover. Kris corrected himself: Jongin was the addict and had a habit of infecting his precious Luhan.

“This one,” Luhan pointed to the hat nestled atop his blonde head as Jongin fixed his disturbed hair in one of the many mirrors “Like it?” He asked again and rolled his eyes as Kris threw his arms out in exasperation.

“I don’t know Lulu!” Kris whined like a spoiled child that didn’t get what he wanted “You and your BFF have been looking at nothing but hats and sunglasses for the past-“ He looked at his watch “Half an hour!”

Jongin placed the pair of thick white framed sunglasses he’d picked out earlier on the bridge of his nose before placing his hands on his hips and cocking his head to one side.

“So?” The slightly darker skinned boy retorted as he unwrapped a newly discovered cherry er he’d found in his pocket and popped it in his mouth.

Kris could tell by the way one hand remained on Kai’s hip that the boy was going to make a snide comment and use his new candy as a pointer, so Kris interrupted before he could open his mouth.

“So?! I-“ He leaned forward in his seat and placed his elbows on his knees “Listen, Lulu,” Luhan blinked his long lashes cutely to show he was greatly anticipating what Kris had to say.

“I don’t mind escorting you and Jongin around, really I don’t, but when you spend thirty minutes putting glasses on, taking them off, putting a new pair on, only to put the first pair back on again, well…” Kris took a long breath “It drives me kind of crazy.” Kris saw Jongin roll his er in his mouth exaggeratingly from the corner of his eye “I feel like I may as well be dating girls again”

“Oh please,” Kai scoffed and Kris knew what was coming “I dare you to find girls with better bodies then me and Lulu in this weirdo city” He ran his tongue along the underside of his er before pointing the candy in Kris’ direction and nudging Luhan in the ribs with his elbow “We’re much more of a treat in bed too huh, Lulu~?”

Luhan, who had been enjoying himself up until that point, looked at Kai with a shocked expression and the faintest dust of pink across his cheeks. He tried to find words to express his embarrassment but all that came out were sounds and spluttering nonsense.

“I give up” Kris muttered as he eased back in his chair to watch as Luhan and Jongin whispered god knows what kinds of secrets into each other’s ears. Needless to say, laughter between the two picked up again.

“Okay,” Luhan said after a few more checks in the mirror “We’re ready now” he smiled a closed lipped smile at his less than excited boyfriend.

“What are you looking at me for?” Kris asked with the of an eyebrow “I suppose you want to use my card to pay right?” Luhan nodded matter of factly “What if I say no?” It was a bluff on Kris’ side, just to tease his doe eyed lover.

Luhan’s smile fell from his lips and his eyebrows knitted together in a thoughtful expression Kris always found endearing.

“Are you saying no?” Luhan inquired daintily.

Kris inwardly screamed, practically prayed that Luhan wasn’t going to use his secret weapon so soon in this harmless tousle, but, as if on cue, there it was.

Luhan pouted.

One glossy bottom lip stuck out just enough to form one unrivaled finishing blow.

Kris squeezed his eyes shut and groaned.

“That’s not fair Luhan!” He complained “I didn’t even get to- I just wanted to play a little bit, you know that” Even with his eyes closed Kris could see the triumphant grin Luhan was wearing.

Then there were hands on his thighs and he opened his eyes to see that very grin looming above him.

Luhan flashed Kris his trademark smile, the one that made his eyes crinkle at the corners, and Kris sighed admitting defeat before pulling his wallet from his back pocket and leafing through it for Luhan’s desired card as said blonde watched intently.

Unsurprisingly enough, Kris felt no shame as he held out the card and Luhan snatched it greedily from his hand. After all, it was Luhan. Kris had, had always had, a weak spot for his angelic lover. Even before they had begun dating, Kris would have let Luhan walk all over him if he wanted. No one could resist Luhan’s charms because, well, that was all there was to it.

It was Luhan.

Luhan showed his appreciation for Kris’ weakness with an Eskimo kiss. It was a cute gesture Kris had to admit, but he leaned up quicker than Luhan could pull away and caught Luhan’s bottom lip between his teeth. He figured it wasn’t too much to ask for a kiss from his demanding counterpart.

Luhan’s lips curled into a smile, or at least, as best they could, being caught as they were. He pushed forward, letting his top lip press against Kris’ slightly chapped one until Kris let go and it turned into a full blown kiss.

Their lips moved together in familiar unison and Luhan’s awareness to his surroundings dropped by at least half. However when Kris’ rough hands slid up his thighs he practically shed himself of all sense and began climbing into his lover’s lap. Luckily enough for both of them Kris still had control and pushed at Luhan’s hips until the other got the point and pulled back.

 Luhan stood silently, fingers playing with the card to distract himself from the embarrassment that threatened to show on his face. He met Kris’ eyes and a shudder ran down his spine. Although Kris looked cool and composed on the outside, Luhan could feel his lover’s eyes undressing him.

“You know…” Luhan choked out after he figured the silence wasn’t going to break itself “We…After…?” he proposed and his face flushed with embarrassment.

Kris swore his stomach curled up and died just then because , Luhan was giving him bedroom eyes and all he could do was squeak out a pitiful, strangled “Yes”.

“Not to interrupt your guy’s or anything, but if we’re going to meet Baekhyun and Chanyeol for lunch we have to get going soon” Jongin interrupted as he tapped his watch and looked around “And Yixing said he was meeting us here but he’s late” he stated with a sad frown.

“Wait, Yixing is coming?” Kris asked, snapping himself out of his trance to look almost excitedly at Jongin.

“What do you mean is he coming? Of course he is. What, did you think I’d be the odd number all day?” Jongin exaggerated and gave Kris one of those looks that Kris could never tell if he was being playful, sarcastic, or dead serious. Kris assumed sarcastic at this point.

“Thank god,” Kris hummed “Someone else with some sense”

Kai raised his eyebrows and blinked before a playful seriousness graced his features.

“Luhan, I have something to discuss with you” Jongin said in a pompous manner as he linked arms with the blonde.

Luhan picked up on the playful atmosphere.

“Oh my, Jongin, what could you possibly have to discuss with me I wonder?” Luhan fluttered his lashes for added affect.

“Now, my dear Lulu, we have been nothing but the absolute bestest of friends for a long time now” Jongin went on and Luhan nodded along “So you must know I would never lie to you and only ever tell you the truth” Jongin clutched at his heart “I’m so sorry to be the one to tell you this Luhan, but…” he paused to add suspense “I think your boyfriend has a man crush on mine” Jongin pretended to hold back tears and Luhan put the back of his hand to his forehead as if he might faint.

“Oh please, Jongin, say it isn’t true!” Luhan wailed but that was the last straw before the two friends burst into hysterical fits of exaggerated laughter.

Kris glared at them unamused.

“Haha, yes, very funny” he scoffed “You two should totally become actors, that was brilliant” It was Kris’ turn to be sarcastic.

“Hmph,” Jongin turned up his nose dramatically “I don’t think he appreciates us Lulu~” He whined and placed his head on Luhan’s shoulder.

“Is that true Kris?” Luhan pouted again and Kris spluttered disbelievingly.

Before Kris could come up with a witty comeback he felt a hand on his shoulder and saw the duo’s faces light up happily.

“Luhan, you better put that lip away before you kill poor Wufan here”

Kai unlinked arms with Luhan and tapped his watch.

“You’re late Yixing!” He scolded “We were about to pay and then head out without you”

“I know, sorry, there were more things I had to do at home than I thought” Lay smiled his dimpled smile “Those the things you’re getting?” he asked, changing the subject as he noted Jongin’s sunglasses and black cap.

“Yes!” Jongin grew excited over his soon to be purchases once again as he played with the visor of his cap “It took me and Lulu half an hour to decide but we managed to find the best ones~”

“Half an hour? Really?” Yixing asked in disbelief.

“See?” Kris exclaimed as Yixing walked over to Jongin to examine his choices “I told you I’m not the only one who thinks you guys are ridiculous”

“Actually that’s a pretty decent time” Lay said as he wrapped his arms around Jongin’s waist and pulled their bodies together so their hips touched.

“Does it come in pink?” Yixing asked interested with a nod at Jongin’s hat.

Kris mentally facepalmed. His one and only hope for sanity had blown up in his face. He wanted to reassure himself that he still had his pride, but he couldn’t even say he still had that.

He sighed deeply and decided it didn’t really matter. As much as he tried to fight it, Jongin and Yixing had become a permanent part of his life, and he was more than okay with that. The four of them had been friends for at least 2 years, and were closer than Kris ever thought four people could be. They made each other happy, made life fun and comfortable.

And Kris couldn’t even explain the connection between Kai and Luhan. It was friendship anyone could see, 5 years of being practically attached at the hip formed a bond that you could only understand if you experienced it. On the other hand, Kris and Yixing had only met because of the dynamic duo. Kris admitted he’d been a bit awkward when they first met, but Yixing was simple and easy to get along with to the point that now Kris considered him his best friend.

Not that he’d ever tell the other man that.

There were certain things he couldn’t talk about with Luhan, relationship bumps or other problems that made him glad he had Yixing to confide in. Likewise, the same thing went for Luhan and Jongin. Little secrets, tips or advice. It was a well-known perk to knowing other couples.

“Why? Do you want a matching one in pink?” Jongin blinked a bit surprised “Yixing, you know pink isn’t your color right? No offense, but Kris pulls off pink better than you do”

There was a sarcastic “Yay” from the tall blonde as he got up to Luhan to the cashier.

“I know, I know,” Lay admitted “I meant for you, a pink one would go with your Casino outfit”

Jongin’s eyes widened as the image dawned on him.

“Oh my god, you’re right, it would!” Jongin breathed out excitedly and Yixing smiled accomplished “I can’t believe I forgot about that! Usually you’re the one who forgets everything” Kai teased before placing a quick kiss on his lover’s lips. Yixing’s tongue darted out over his bottom lip.

“You taste like cherries” He pointed out and Jongin held up the er he’d been working on. Yixing leaned forward to take it but Jongin pulled the candy back and popped it into his mouth with a mischievous smile. Yixing raised an eyebrow but was otherwise undeterred in his quest for the red treat as he nibbled on Kai’s lips.

It took a bit of coaxing, but Jongin eventually wrapped his arms around his boyfriend’s neck and surrendered the er to Yixing’s waiting mouth with a sticky kiss. It was a little awkward, passing candy through a kiss, but they made it work.

Lay gave a triumphant closed lip grin as he rolled the treat around in his mouth before burying his head in the crook of Jongin’s neck like an over affectionate cat.

Jongin rolled his eyes at the display. He refused to admit he really loved Lay’s clingy side.

“And you got after us for having ,” Kris mocked in a loud voice from his place leaning against the cashier’s desk as the woman working it handed him his card and a paper bag with Luhan’s goodies in it “Hurry up and pay. Knowing Chanyeol that hyper kid has probably already dragged Baekhyun to the café early.”

“Right, right,” Kai waved Kris off and struggled free from Yixing’s hold to find another cap so he had one in both black and pink. Much to his euphoria they had one in stock and he quickly paid for the two hats and his sunglasses before he remembered any other wardrobe necessities he’d forgotten.

With Luhan’s hand in his right, and Luhan’s bag in his left hand, Kris ushered the Laykai couple out the front doors before either of them got distracted by anything else.

“Which café are we meeting them at?” Yixing asked curiously as the four of them walked down the street in a leisurely fashion. Jongin took up the lead while the remaining three lagged a little behind.

“Just the one at the end of the street here” Jongin replied before turning to face Kris “Hey, want to race me there?” he asked competitively with a smile on his lips.

“Maybe next time,” Kris replied after pretending to think it over.

Kai pursed his lips.

“You’re no fun.” He huffed before offering an arm to Luhan “Lulu?”

“No thanks, Jongin,” Luhan replied with a reassuring smile as he gave Kris’ hand a gentle squeeze and rested his head on the taller man’s shoulder “I think I’m good”

“Alas!” Jongin used the same fainting posture Luhan had used in their earlier acting session “The best friend is tossed aside in the face of love!”

Luhan giggled and the two friends exchanged knowing looks.

If there was one thing Luhan could count on to make him laugh it was Jongin.

And a day out on the town shopping with Jongin was always an adventure.


 

A/N: And here's Chapter 3~! Flashback time~ Enjoy some carefree Krishan and Laykai~

This one took me a bit longer, but now you guys are all up to date on what I have. So I have no idea when Chapter 4 will be ready. Maybe not for a week or so, I have school work to attend to so I'll be kind of busy for a while.

Chapter 4 will be lunch date with Baekyeol~ Then Chapter 5 should be back to real time.

None the less! I hope this chapter sates you for a bit~ I had a lot of fun writing it~ X3

~Multilyn♥

P.S. Yes, I ship Laykai~ >w>