Coffee

Safe & Sound

Luhan ran his fingertips over the rusted metal rails of his apartment balcony, looking across the roofs of rows upon rows of houses and down to the streets below. Everything was quiet. Not a soul wandered the empty streets. There were no whirrs or whistles, no clatters or clangs, no signs of life. But Luhan knew they were there, hiding, staying inside locked doors as the enemy military had decreed many months before. Not even the artificial blink of a television through neighboring windows, the flicker of a lamp, or the hum of street lights at night made themselves known. After all, they cut the power along with most everything else.

Luhan took a deep inhale of humid stale air. The day was overcast, billowing dark clouds floating at ease over the pale buildings. It was warm, a muggy kind of heat that found Luhan in short-cut white boxers and a low V-neck tank top in matching white. He let the breath go through an “O” form of his lips as he slid to the floor and rested his cheek on one of the cool metal bars of the balcony’s frame. His thick bangs threatened to fall into his eyes had he not pinned them back with a handful of red bobby pins earlier on that morning. There was no wind to even offer temporary relief from the sticky weather and Luhan tugged desperately at the collar of his thin excuse for a shirt in an attempt to create any kind of air flow.

Gunfire from a few streets down made him jump and he hit the top of his head against the top rail. He winced and hissed through his teeth as he rubbed the spot beneath his golden locks. His chocolate eyes fixed themselves on the bend at the end of the street, waiting. It was hard to explain, the feelings Luhan felt after hearing gunfire. A mixture; dread, anticipation, fear, curiosity, and a sick blend of excitement and entertainment.

Movement.

Luhan braced himself against the bars and watched, utterly silent, as a group of six or so soldiers rounded the corner onto the lonely street. They were dragging a scrawny middle aged man by the arms in between them. Luhan’s heart beat hard against his ribs and he unconsciously held his breath as he strained to see the man’s features. He didn’t as much as blink as the group passed underneath him. His mind urged his body to move but he remained frozen.

Watching was a dangerous pastime, but few could resist, if the shuffle of curtains and the splitting of blinds was proof enough. Was it someone they knew? Was it a friend? Maybe a past enemy, an ex-lover? What had they done to be dragged from their home and escorted to their death? Or were they already dead? Starved to death like a forgotten rat in a cage.

This was why Luhan couldn’t help but waste away time watching, waiting. So he could keep track of those who remained, those who still hung on. As he was, and as his lover was.

“Luhan,”

Luhan followed the soldiers to the end of the street before looking up at the call of his name.

“Kris,” He flashed a small smile that made the corners of his eyes crinkle as the man walked into the tidy bedroom with two pale blue coffee mugs in hand and only a pair of faded jeans hanging loosely on his hips.

“Watching again I see,” Kris said softly as he approached the balcony “Coffee?” he asked, holding one of the mugs out to the white-clad boy.

Luhan reached up and took the mug in both hands “How did you-“

“It’s cold coffee” Kris pointed out with a light laugh, knowing what Luhan was going to ask.

“Oh” Luhan brought the mug close to his chest and looked down at the creamy liquid inside.

Kris smiled to himself as Luhan returned his attention to the outside world.

Just as Luhan watched the city below, Kris watched Luhan. He took in the slender legs, thin arms, and small hands. The tiny waist and petite chest hidden beneath the oversized muscle shirt. The pink lips, button nose, and big eyes framed by thick lashes. Kris’ heart laughed at the cute way Luhan had pinned back his golden blonde hair.

It wasn’t right, Kris often thought to himself, for such a beautiful creature to be kept inside, locked away as he was, to slowly decay. Luhan didn’t deserve this; none of the people in this city did, but, with war comes suffering. Kris can only pray that it will end before Luhan’s light fades away.

Luhan looked so small then, so frail, sitting on the balcony, watching, waiting.

Kris took a breath and eased himself down to sit cross legged behind Luhan who instantly turned around and climbed into his lap like a child who had been impatiently waiting for attention. Luhan fitted himself snuggly between Kris’ folded legs, feeling the soft denim of his lover’s jeans slide pleasantly over his mostly bare thighs as he sat sideways against Kris’ unclothed chest. He settled in contentedly and rested his cheek against one of Kris’ exposed collar bones so his head lay comfortably in the crook of the other’s neck.

He couldn’t stop a shaky sigh from escaping his lips as Kris’ fingertips pushed the waistband of his boxers down a little bit and began tracing unintelligible shapes on his hip. Luhan pressed himself impossibly closer into his lover’s strong frame despite the clingy heat and took a small sip of cold coffee from his mug. It was sweet. Only the lingering, slightly bitter, aftertaste was the only way to tell it wasn’t just sugar and condensed milk.

Kris smiled as he looked out over the houses, listening, and hearing nothing but Luhan. His heartbeat, his breath, his quiet swallows of coffee. They were dying, they knew, slowly. But moments like these, moments of silence, comfort, love; emotions without words; they were still sweet.

Like morning coffee.

 


 

A/N: Okay! I figured out how to add an Author's Note~ Chapter 1 is up on time, thank the stars~ I'm thinking Chapter 2 should be up early next week. It'll only be a short chapter, just something to connect chapters 1 and 3.

While I have your attention, call me a noob all you want because that's what I am on this site, but how do I indent paragraphs on here? I made a little note in the Story Feed (Yes, I'll be using the Story Feed often to tell about how chapters are coming along or problems I'm having) and I was able to find the button to give me a seperation line for my Author's Note but not for my paragraphs. Help would be appreciated~!♥

With that, I hope you found this chapter to your liking!

~Multilyn♥

Edit: Actually, does it look fine without the indents? IDK