My Ornery Prince Returns...

The Two Sides of My Soul

           

            He never did answer me—at least, not in the way I expected. But Key rarely ever did anything on my terms. He handled life his own way: with eccentric confidence that defied the normal boundaries of the average person’s understanding and reaction. No, Key didn’t answer me in that moment (and of course he was right—it really wasn’t a question to begin with), but instead sank back into his pillow with a smug grin and secretive stare.

            “Messy, have you never, not once in your life, played hard-to-get?”

            “Your little ‘sleeping stunt’ kinda took all the fun out of any kind of game normal people experience. You played the ultimate ‘hard-to-get’ hand when I thought you might not survive. I think that’s enough for the both of us, right?”

            “Still, have some self-worth,” he teased, his smile only growing more assured.

            “Are you kidding me, Kibummie? My greatest sense of confidence comes through the single hope that you will forget about this entire conversation by morning…”

            “Why would you want me to forget?”

            My cheeks flushed and I looked away. “Because you still haven’t answered…”

            “Well, it still isn’t a question,” he sniffed. “But what would you say if I told you I had no interest I being your boyfriend?”

            Could fate be so cruel? I wanted to break down in tears right there. My eyes stung with anticipation. “I’d say—honestly, Kibum, I don’t know what I should say…” I continued to stare at the wall through the awkward, tense silence, tightening my hold around the strap of my bag as if channeling all my fears and hopes and sadness into the strength of my hand. “Okay, I guess…?” was the only answer I could muster in the end.

            “Hm… still no confidence, Raina.”

            “I guess.”

            “Well, I don’t.”

            Oh dear god, please give me the divine ability to teleport out of this room immediately and pretend that this never happened…

            My heart had dropped down into my feet—that’s what it felt like when I heard those words. How had I so foolishly allowed myself to believe that this would work out any other way? After all, what were the odds of reciprocated love between two people? It was entirely a game of chance. Luck.

            “I don’t have any interest in being your boyfriend—”

            “Okay, Kibum!” I shot out unexpectedly. I was so humiliated, so heartbroken that I didn’t even comprehend the register or tone of my voice in that moment. All I knew is that I wanted to disappear into the floor, the wall—anything. I just wanted to be away from him. If I couldn’t have him, I didn’t know how to exist any other way. “I… I understand.”

            “Do you, you nerd?” he called back. “ ’Cause you keep cutting me off with your mopey faces and red cheeks.”

            I somehow managed to look at him, just long enough to see that he was still smirking at me—that ‘I’m proud of myself for being so clever’ smirk I had grown accustomed to loving so much.

            “I don’t get it…”

            “Then let me finish: I don’t want to be your boyfriend, Raina, because I already know I want to become much more than that.”

            “Much… more…?” I whispered. My brain had frozen, like a broken hard-drive. I couldn’t compute a single thing he was saying.

            “Let’s get married.”

            “What?!

            “I mean—not anytime soon, of course. There’s still a lot of things to share with each other before that step—and I really want to get out of the hospital first, obviously…” Key seemed slightly annoyed with his reality while saying this. “But let’s make that the goal, not some adolescent concept of ‘boyfriend and girlfriend.’ I think we’ve been through enough to pass the rudimentary stuff, right?”

            Holy crap, he really was the living, breathing epitome of confidence: every single thing he said was driven with unwavering precision. He never doubted himself anymore than he seemingly doubted the answers he could arouse from me in return. For as sweet as Key was, he was equally cocky—a strange mix that I found entirely irresistible.

            “Are you… are you proposing to me, you dork?” I then managed through a breathy, quivering chuckle. Never mind that my eyes were wet and I’m trying my best not to cry.

            “The very definition of a proposal is the act of suggesting a plan, right? So… I guess I am. This is my proposition, Messy, if you’re interested.”

            Wordless, and with newfound conviction, I went to Key’s bed, dropped my bag into the chair beside it, and leaned into him until there no void between our lips. I kissed him much harder than I had the first time, and, unlike last time, he returned it with equal if not outmatched fervor.

            “I love you, Raina,” he breathed into my mouth as a single tear fell down my cheek. I didn’t care about that though. I didn’t even really notice it.

            We kissed again, much longer now, maintaining a sensual rhythm until I moaned back, “I’ve always loved you…”

            “I know,” he said, tightening his hold on me. “And I would certainly hope you would if you’re going to go around kissing unconscious people.”

            “Unconscious!?” I laughed. “You were awake—and you said you didn’t remember!”

            “Well, if I can’t remember, isn’t that the same as being unconscious of it?”

            My face twisted into a red-faced pout. Would Kim Kibum be eternally cleverer than me? “I… I guess.”

            “But,” Key grinned mischievously then, “I lied anyway.”

            “Bwo? You lied about what?”

            “I do remember it, Raina,” was his soft answer. “And I’ll never forget it, even if you want me to.”

 

 ~ ~  *  ~ ~

So, probably one more chapter before it's all done~! Maybe two. Sorry this is on the shorter side but in my defense pneumonia, mid-terms, and term-papers really limit my 'gusto' for fanfic writing. It's a perfect storm, and all I really want to do at the moment is roll over and die.

I liked this chapter though, and hope you did too~ especially you, Rachel!! <3