Eleven: On Hani (Part 2)

18th Street

 

(Third person's POV)

________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

“I’m here, my love.” Sunmi heard Junhyung speak, his voice is unclear, he sounded almost choking. She squeezes Junhyung’s hand, in her attempt to stay strong herself. Hani hold a big portion of her life, she was her best friend, and Sunmi knows that she could never find anyone as close to her as Hani was.

 

That night, Hani chose Junhyung. Sunmi was disappointed at first, she felt frustrated, questioned why Hani didn’t choose her. But she knew she was being selfish, Hani had known Junhyung first, been in love with him since forever, so it was only logical that she would choose him over her.

 

The truck did not run through them at all. It ran pass them, and then it hit a street light. Because of that, they saved their lives. They thought the trouble was over, but when they find Hani lying unconscious on the sidewalk, they knew something was not right. They failed to wake her up, the ambulance came, and Hani was put into coma. The doctor announced her death three weeks after that.

 

Her Hani was taken away from her. Sunmi couldn’t speak for a good full month, too shocked and too heartbroken. Junhyung couldn’t stop apologizing, looking as miserable and as dejected as her. Kikwang was trying to be there for the both of them, but failed miserably. Kikwang, too, felt the great lost as much as they did.

 

But she knew Hani would be devastated seeing her loved ones grieving over her death like that. She had a change of attitude, picked Junhyung and Kikwang up, and helped them lift their spirits back.

“Don’t you hate me, Sunmi?” Junhyung asked her one day. They were having lunch, they have about two more weeks until finals. None of them went to the prom.

“I did.” Her answer was so simple and straight forward, it pierced deeply into Junhyung’s heart. “But I don’t hate you anymore. Hani would not like that.”

“I’m sorry.”

“You are long forgiven.” Again with her simple answer. But that was all Junhyung need. He needed to know that they forgave him, so he could move on. So all of them could move on.