Chapter 6

More Than Meets the Eye

 

As Jiyeon stepped into the ballroom, she could not help but be awed - who wouldn’t be? The entire room was at least fifty times the size of the entire T-ara apartment, brilliantly lit with candles and chandeliers, decked out in expensive-looking decor. Everyone was dressed formally, be it the guests or the waiters - the waiters wore impeccable suits, and they even had similar hairstyles! The guests, on the other hand, were completely different - they wore flamboyant, bright colours, all clashing, all trying to get attention; Jiyeon thought she even saw one wearing what looked like a pink tutu! She bit back a laugh; these people all needed fashion advice from Im Yoona, that was for sure. 
 
All of a sudden, a cold, unfamiliar voice rang out behind her. “Park Jiyeon?”
 
Jiyeon whirled around, her heart jumping into - she had not expected anyone here to recognise her, let alone know her name. 
 
“Im Yoona!” Jiyeon blurted out involuntarily, eyes wide in stunned amazement; almost at once her hand lifted to cover , already mentally berating herself for her rudeness. 
 
Yoona’s eyes, if possible, became even colder. “You’re my brother’s partner, aren’t you? I suppose you’re another one of those girls who’s just after his money?” Her voice was curt and assertive, her brown eyes filled with disdain. 
 
Anger flared in Jiyeon at Yoona’s words; coolly, she retorted. “I’m afraid you’ve got it wrong. He’s the one forcing me to go around playing his girlfriend - I would like nothing more than to erase the day we were acquainted.” 
 
Yoona paused, doubt clouding her eyes for a moment. She cast her gaze at someone standing behind her - doe-eyed and brown-haired, his youthful face chiselled and indifferent. It took a moment for Jiyeon to place him, but when she did, she had to fight to keep her gasp back - Xi Luhan, son of China’s current vice-president, nicknamed the Handsome Devil amongst idols. It was well-known that he only took idols for his girlfriends, and only the most famous ones at that. Rumour had it that at one point, he’d even dated all nine members of SNSD without any of them knowing about it!
 
Luhan noted her gaze, raising his brows, but his words were directed at Yoona. “She’s telling the truth. All part of JB’s new “game”, apparently.” 
 
Yoona gave an exasperated sigh. “This is all your fault, Xi Luhan! And couldn’t you have told me differently before I was so rude to the poor girl?” She turned back to Jiyeon, her expression so warm and apologetic that Jiyeon almost felt as if she was facing a totally different person. “I am so sorry about that - I just really can’t stand those other girls who hanker after my brother’s wealth. I’m really sorry if I offended you.” 
 
Her expression was so forlorn that Jiyeon simply couldn’t hold a grudge. “It’s all right, I’m not offended.” 
 
Yoona brightened up. “Great! Where’s my brother, by the way?” She looked around, tiptoeing. “Isn’t he here with you?” 
 
Mention of Im Jaebum turned Jiyeon’s expression irritable again. “He said he’ll be late.” 
 
Jiyeon’s tone turned Yoona’s gaze back to her face; the older girl whistled. “Wow. You really don’t like him, do you? That’s a first. Most of the time girls are tripping over themselves trying to win my brother’s favour.” 
 
Jiyeon’s expression was incredulous as she listened to Yoona. “Him? That jerk? Why would anyone-” She broke off abruptly, her face turning tomato-red, as she realised that she was insulting JB right in front of his sister. “I mean...”
 
Yoona laughed - the sound was bright and carefree, something Jiyeon would not have expected from a rich heir like her. “No no, it’s all right. I know, Jaebum can be an insufferable jerk at times.” 
 
Jiyeon wanted to point out that he was an insufferable jerk all the time, but she decided not to push her luck. Yoona glanced at Luhan. “So where is my brother?” 
 
Luhan rolled his eyes; Jiyeon started to see him do such an action - it seemed too casual, too human an action for an Adonis-like face such as his. “Well, I don’t know, Yoona. I’m not a worm in his stomach, you know. I wouldn’t know where he is all the time. You should ask Kris or Tao.” 
 
Yoona’s expression turned annoyed. “You know they’re not allowed in here, Luhan, and it would be unseemly for me to go out just to talk to them. Call him.” Her last words were an order she clearly expected him to obey - Luhan’s expression was annoyed. “You call him. You’re his sister, aren’t you?” 
 
Yoona whirled around, fire in her eyes, but before she could snap a response, Jiyeon pointed at the entrance. “He’s here!” 
 
That immediately interrupted the two of them; both turned to look at the entrance, and indeed, JB stood there, already smiling and greeting an elderly couple he knew. 
 
Luhan paid no mind to the two girls, striding purposefully toward the blonde-haired heir, but Yoona beckoned to Jiyeon. “Come on, let’s get him before he disappears into the crowd. My brother has a talent for that, you know, especially when he doesn’t want to be found.” 
 
Jiyeon didn’t particularly want to meet that guy, but as Yoona started towards her brother, she sighed and followed after the fashion designer. 
 
JB shook hands with the elderly couple, his smile polite. “I’ll keep your words in mind, Kim-sunbae, and I’ll make sure to let my mother know about it.” The elderly man nodded, then turned toward a waiter, picking up a glass of wine - before he could address JB again, Luhan cut in. “Don’t mind if I borrow JB for a moment, Kim-sunbae. I have something to discuss with him.” Without waiting for the elderly man’s response, Luhan pulled JB away. “Your wretch of a sister dragged me here as her partner.” 
 
JB’s brows rose. “Your point being?” 
 
“Do something! Scold her! Yell at her! Make her learn that my time is precious!” Luhan’s voice was a vehement whisper as he glanced warily at the guests around them, making sure they could not hear him. 
 
“Why don’t you yell at her yourself? I’ve got a bit of a sore throat, you know. Besides, I didn’t even know my sister was here.” JB turned back to the crowd, glancing about for Yoona - it didn’t take long for him to spot her, as she threw herself into his arms. “Brother!” 
 
Luhan snorted, drawing further away from her. 
 
JB chuckled. “It’s good to see you too, sis.” He let go of Yoona, looking her up and down. “Well, at least you look healthy enough. What are you doing back here, anyway?” 
 
“Can’t I come back to see family?” Yoona responded with a playful grin. 
 
“You know Mother’s not going to see you.” JB reminded her, tapping her on the forehead. Yoona just rolled her eyes. “Yes, I know, I know. How long is she going to hold a grudge, anyway? It’s been nearly four years.” 
 
“You know she wanted you to help with the family business. She said you had - what was it? - an eye for business.” JB responded, grinning at his sister’s exasperation. Yoona just sniffed. “Well, I think my eye for fashion is better. Oh, right, Jiyeon’s been waiting for you.” She stepped aside to reveal the idol standing awkwardly behind, completely out-of-place in this reunion scene. 
 
JB’s expression changed, his eyes suddenly turning guarded as he gave her the once-over. “You look- nice.” 
 
A small grin graced Yoona’s lips as she inched away from the duo, pulling Luhan along with her. Luhan shot her an irritated look. “What?” 
 
“Let’s not interrupt them.” 
 
Luhan’s brow rose as he stopped walking. “Are you trying to matchmake them? Are you insane? Can’t you see how much she detests JB?”
 
“I like her.” Yoona replied matter-of-factly. “She seems...true. Not like those other girls. And I think she’ll be good for JB.” 
 
“Yes, but you’re missing the fact that she kind of hates his guts.” Luhan reminded her. Yoona just shrugged. “Feelings change. You and I both know that. And people change too.” 
 
“You want Jiyeon to change JB? What’s the point? You know JB will never let Jiyeon get close enough to do that.” Luhan let out a bark of laughter. “He’s never trusted any female - besides you - ever since that woman. What makes you think things are going to change now?” 
 
“I don’t know. It’s just a gut instinct, all right? But I think if anyone can change my brother - this girl can.” 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
JB had difficulty keeping his eyes off Jiyeon - he’d known she was pretty; he wouldn’t have agreed to Kim Kwang Soo’s terms otherwise, but this, this was different. Jiyeon looked...special. That was the only thing he could say. There was something about her, something that seemed to make her shine and turn heads - even as he stood here, next to her, he could feel the gazes of the other guests, male and female, young and old, turning to stare at the two of them. 
 
Jiyeon folded her arms, her expression impatient. “Well, when are we leaving?” 
 
JB looked up at her and gave a chuckle. “Leave? We can’t leave until the other guests do. My company is the one hosting this event, remember? I have to stay, and you’re staying with me.” 
 
Clear annoyance flitted across Jiyeon’s face. “This is utterly ridiculous. If I knew it was going to be this boring, I would have brought a book.” 
 
JB laughed. “That would be considered extremely rude - the guests would probably ostracise you if you did that.” 
 
“You know what? I don’t bloody care.” 
 
They stood in silence for a moment, staring out at the dance floor, which was already occupied by some couples. An idea occurred to JB. “You say you’re bored?” 
 
“Obviously.” 
 
Gallantly, JB held out his hand to her. “Would you honor me with a dance, then?” 
 
Jiyeon shot him a look, folding her arms, her expression forbidding. “Over my dead body. It’s already enough of a challenge being here with you.” 
 
That small, trademark smirk crossed JB's face - before Jiyeon could react, he had tugged her hands apart, pulling her toward him as they twirled onto the dance floor. “I thought you would know this by now - I don’t take no for an answer.” 
 
Jiyeon struggled to escape his grasp, trying to rip her hand away from his. “Let go of me!” 
 
JB lowered his voice into a murmur, so no one else would hear them. “Remember our deal.” 
 
Those three words managed to freeze Jiyeon, enough to allow JB to start pulling her along into a waltz. “Besides, I’ll be presenting you as my girlfriend later, so it doesn’t make much difference whether or not we dance now, do we?” 
 
“Yes it does. I do not want to dance with you, Im Jaebum.” Jiyeon responded through gritted teeth. Nevertheless, she placed her hands in the correct position, one on his back and the other around his neck, as they began to waltz. 
 
“At least I’m not asking you to do a y dance for me or anything.” JB sounded amused; Jiyeon shot him a killer glare. 
 
As they waltzed, Jiyeon felt herself become aware of just how close they were standing - so close that she could feel his peppermint breath warming her face, her face almost touching his chest. She tried to pull away subtly, uncomfortable with their proximity, but JB’s hands anchored her into place, not letting her move. 
 
“Stop this. I have a boyfriend.” Jiyeon’s voice was low and serious, but she could sense more than a hint of laughter in JB’s response. “Don’t you remember? I don’t really care.” 
 
Jiyeon seethed; with brutal force she wrenched her hands away from his, but before she could take more than a step away from him, his hands circled her waist, pulling her backward into him; his breath warmed her ear as he whispered. “Don’t cause a scene. It’s unbecoming.” 
 
“Don’t you remember? I don’t really care.” Jiyeon responded mockingly, trying to twist out of his grip. He merely chuckled. 
 
He turned her around to face him, keeping his hands on her waist. “We’re supposed to be a couple. So act like it.” 
 
“I know what you’re trying to do. You’re trying to seduce me. I hate to tell you this, but it’s not working. You can feign physical intimacy, but you can’t do the same with emotional intimacy. And that’s something I share with Myungsoo only - not you.” 
 
There was a pause, and JB’s breathing seemed to harshen. Nevertheless, his touch was gentle as he reached up to cup Jiyeon’s chin, lifting her face up so he could look her in the eyes. “I’m not asking you to feign emotional intimacy with me - I don’t need to feign anything. Because sooner or later, this,” He gave a jerk of his head to indicate the two of them on the dance floor. “will be real.” 
 
Jiyeon opened to deliver a retort, but before she could say a word, JB leaned down and captured with his, pressing his warm lips gently against hers. 
 
Jiyeon’s heart seemed to stop; without a single conscious thought she kissed him back, her body melding against his. 
 
All of a sudden, someone wolf-whistled behind her; the sound startled Jiyeon, jerking out of her reverie. She broke away from JB, reeling. JB shot her a self-satisfied grin. 
 
Idiot, idiot, idiot! Jiyeon mentally yelled at herself. Was she insane? Why did she just kiss that jerk back! Her face was furious; she could feel the gazes of nearly everyone in the room on her - they had all just seen that spectacle, after all, and now everyone wanted to know who Im Jaebum’s new toy was. 
 
“You always have to make yourself the centre of attention, don’t you?” A voice drawled - it was the same as the person who’d wolf-whistled, but Jiyeon was still too furious to look at the man. 
 
JB spread his hands, the smugness still evident from his tone. "Can I help it if I'm just irresistible, Baekhyun?"
 
Jiyeon jerked away, her face flushed and burning. She was unable to raise her head, unable to look any of them in the face - and so she did the only thing she knew she could do. 
 
She ran. 
 
----------------------------------------------
 
Here's the next chapter guys!
 
Poor Jiyeon, she's just being toyed with at every turn by JB, isn't she? I think it's especially heartbreaking that she is a little attracted to JB, at least physically speaking -nevertheless at this point it's still myungsoo who occupies her thoughts. 
 
Not so much Luyoon this time, but I still think they're adorable - yoona is shaping out to be my personal favourite here, what with her aggressiveness towards Luhan, and her contrasting warmth towards both Jiyeon and JB. What do you guys think, can Yoona be the pillar for Jiyeon in this completely foreign world?
 
i'll try and update the next chapter by the end of next week, but no guarantees cos I've got a bunch of camps that I need to attend. So, till next time!
 
and remember guys, comment and subscribe!