Chapter One

More Than Meets the Eye

 

The Lamborghini drove to a smooth halt before the building, its engine purring like a powerful leopard; the passers-by stared, gaping, at the extravagant car.

JB slid out of the car, and Kris quickly shut the door for him. Tao rolled down the shotgun window from the driver’s seat he was sitting at, “Are you sure you’ll be safe, hyung?” He glanced suspiciously at the building of Core Contents Media.

JB chuckled at his bodyguard’s concern, “Relax, Tao. There won’t be any magical ninjas waiting for me inside, and in any case, Kris could protect me even if there are any magical ninjas.”

Kris rolled his eyes, “Yes, I’m pretty sure I could handle a few magical ninjas.”

Tao nodded, but his expression was still uneasy.

JB straightened his jacket with a small smile, “Let’s go, then.”

He and Kris strode into the building, ignoring the gazes of all the awed passers-by.

As they strode into the building, Kris shifted closer to JB; h towered over all the trainees and staff in the building, and he shot them cold, intimidating glances, his handsome face stiff and stern. Wordlessly, the trainees and staff members all moved out of the way to let the duo pass.

“Kris,” JB murmured, “Rein in the swag. You’re going to make them all piss in their pants at this rate.”

Kris smirked, “That was the idea.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kim Kwang Soo waved at the sofa, “Sit.”

The T-ara members seated themselves on the sofa their CEO had indicated; Areum and Dani stood at the side due to the lack of space.

“So.” Kim Kwang Soo said, folding his arms as he sat on the armchair opposite them, “You’ve been called here to discuss a…problem.”

Soyeon, the group’s spokesperson, raised an eyebrow, “What problem, sir?”

There was a pause. Then the CEO spoke, his tone clipped, “You, Eunjung and Hyomin have all been withdrawn from your respective dramas.”

The trio stiffened in shock; Jiyeon’s eyes went wide and she demanded, “Why? What did they do?”

Kim Kwang Soo ignored the question, “T-ara has been banned from promoting on all KBS channels. SBS and MBC are considering banning T-ara as well.”

There was utter silence. Kim Kwang Soo studied the stunned faces of the members for a moment before continuing, “All our other actors and idols have been blocked from the industry in the same way as well.”

Boram exhaled deeply, leaning back. Qri and Hwayoung looked shell-shocked. It was Eunjung who regained her composure first, and with a visible effort to stay calm, she spoke, “Why? What did we do? Why is this happening, why are we being punished?”

Kim Kwang Soo opened his mouth to reply.

All of a sudden, the door was thrown open with a loud bang; the CEO shot to his feet, furious, “Which bastard…!”

Kris strode in, his expression cold. He towered over everyone in the room, as usual, and his deep voice was quiet and deadly as he asked, “Kim Kwang Soo? You are the CEO of Core Contents Media?”

The CEO gaped, “What? You…”

JB strode into the room. Ignoring all of them, he pushed past Kim Kwang Soo and seated himself comfortably in the armchair.

The T-ara members stared in shock. Kim Kwang Soo’s eyes widened in recognition, “You…You’re…you’re Im Jaebum. JB.”

JB clapped, slowly and sarcastically, “Ingenius, Mr Kim! How dreadfully clever you must be to figure that out!”

“What are you doing here?” Kim Kwang Soo demanded, his anger badly disguised. JB simply smiled, “I’ve heard about your company’s problems, of course. You do know why this is happening, don’t you?”

Kim Kwang Soo gaped wordlessly.

JB shook his head in mock pity, “Poor man. You’re about to be bankrupted and you don’t even know why.”

Kim Kwang Soo regained his composure enough to scowl, “What’s your point? And what makes you think I’ll be bankrupted anyway?”

JB’s expression of cool nonchalance did not change, “When you first started this company you borrowed a sum of money from my uncle, Im Jae Kang, as capital. I’m here to reclaim that money.”

Kim Kwang Soo’s expression became triumphant, “Your uncle is dead now, boy, and you have no right to claim the money from me. Only your uncle does.”

JB glanced at Kris; the bodyguard tossed a file carelessly at Kim Kwang Soo, and it struck him in the chest. As the CEO picked it up to read it, JB spoke, “Technically that’s true. Except my uncle got that sum of money from Empire International. Empire is a family business, as you should know, and as the future heir and successor, I have every right to reclaim that money from you. Taking into consideration inflation and interest, that is the sum you owe me.”

Kim Kwang Soo’s eyes scanned the document, and his jaw fell open. He stared up at JB in shock, “This…this…”

JB raised an eyebrow, and the smile on his face was annoyingly smug, “Is there a problem?”

“One billion USD…I don’t have….how can I possibly…this…” Kim Kwang Soo stammered, beginning to hyperventilate.

JB stood up, “That’s your business, not mine.”

As he turned to leave, Jiyeon, unable to keep silent anymore, accused, “You’re just a businessman leech, trying to bankrupt our company!”

JB turned his icy, unfeeling gaze on her, “How astute of you, my dear. Yes, I am. So what are you going to do about it? What can you do about it?”

Jiyeon glared at him, furious, “Don’t think you can do anything you want just because you have money!”

JB laughed, “Listen to her, Kris! What a naïve girl! You’re just not part of the real world, kid. Let’s see whether you’re right, then. Let’s see if I can bankrupt your company with my money.”

With a self-satisfied smirk, he strode to the door, Kris following behind him.

Jiyeon’s fist clenched.

A resounding slap rang out. JB’s head whipped around, his expression a grimace of pain, and there were echoed gasps of horror from the other T-ara members.

Kris growled; in a flash, he grabbed Jiyeon’s arm, brutally twisting it as he slammed her hard against the door.

“Jiyeon!” Eunjung took a step forward and shouted, “Let go of her, you jerk!”

Kris just twisted her arm harder, his expression unchanging; a gasp of pain escaped Jiyeon’s lips.

JB scowled. He touched the side of his face, which was already turning red. His eyes turned to Jiyeon, brutally cold and menacing. Then he smiled, a smile that did not reach his eyes, “You’re a feisty one, aren’t you?”

JB grabbed Jiyeon’s chin roughly, pulling her around to face him as he warned, his voice dangerous, “I can have a lot of restraint. But I can also be a very vengeful person. And you don’t want to cross me.”

Jiyeon stared back at him defiantly, “I’m not scared of a shallow, money-minded man like you.”

JB arched an eyebrow, “Is that so?” He gave a brittle smile, “We’ll see then.” He released her and nodded at Kris. After a moment, Kris let Jiyeon go.

The T-ara members hurried to Jiyeon’s side; Soyeon asked worriedly, “Are you all right?”

JB glanced coldly at Kim Kwang Soo, the smug nonchalance in his expression completely gone, “I was going to give you a month to get the money, but you’ve displeased me now, so you have two days. Two days later, if you do not hand me the money, then you’ll be hearing from Empire International’s lawyers.”

And then he was gone, sweeping out of the room with Kris following him.

Kim Kwang Soo cursed. He shot a hate-filled glare at Jiyeon, “You just couldn’t keep your mouth shut, could you? Get out. All of you, get the hell out!” He hurled the file at them, and the T-ara members quickly ducked out of the room.

Kim Kwang Soo sank to the ground, burying his face in his hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JB flipped his phone open and quickly dialed a number; the person picked up at once, “Hello? JB? Is it done?”

“It’s done. You owe me one, Baek. I even got slapped for this.” JB grumbled.

Baekhyun whistled, “The legendary Im Jaebum got slapped? Wow, whoever did it must be pretty amazing, then!”

The side of JB’s mouth turned up in a small smile, “Yes, she is rather interesting. I think I’ll be keeping an eye on her.” He snapped his phone shut and turned to Kris, “I want to find out everything about that girl. Her name, when she was born, what schools she attended…essentially I want to know everything.”

Kris bit back a sigh, but he nodded.

JB’s smile became a smirk, “Let’s see who gets the last laugh.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xi Luhan glanced at his watch, “She’s late.” He glanced about at airport, where the Bangkok staff and nationals were milling about.

Sehun’s eyes flickered to his ward, but the stoic bodyguard did not say anything. Luhan bit back a sigh of exasperation, “She’s always late, dammit.” He flipped his phone open and dialed the numbers in forcefully before waiting.

It was minutes before the other person picked up. At once, Luhan spoke, his voice impatient, “My plane’s landed, where the hell are you, Jessica?”

Jessica’s voice was slightly apologetic, “Luhan, I’m sorry, our schedule was changed last minute, and I’ve got a CF to film. I won’t be able to spend today with you. I’m really sorry.” Before Luhan could say a word, the idol hung up.

Luhan’s fist clenched, and his wrist snapped; hurling the phone to the ground. The passers-by jumped, startled. Sehun’s expression did not change, “She can’t make it again?”

“Every single time we agreed to meet up in the past half a year, she’s come up with some excuse not to turn up. ing .” Luhan snarled angrily, “Fine. If she’s going to be a irritating , then fine.” He spun around, “Sehun! Go and find out if they have a red-light district here in Bangkok!”

Sehun bit back a sigh, but turned to look for an information counter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xi Luhan kissed the girl gently on the lips; her hands twined in his smooth brown hair as she pulled him towards her, hungry for more.

There was a pause as they gazed into each other’s eyes.

Then the door slammed open. Luhan spun around and swore, his voice thick with irritation, “What the hell, JB, Kai! What the hell are you doing here? I was just about to-”

“Jessica Jung is about five minutes away from this hotel, having heard from someone in this hotel, I don’t know who, what you are doing here. So I suggest you send this girl away now, unless you’re intending to break up with the Ice Princess.” JB stated nonchalantly as he and Kai threw themselves into the two armchairs at the other end of the room.

Luhan stared at his best friends in disbelief for a moment. Then he swore again, “Holy , she said she wouldn’t be free today!”

He quickly pulled his pants on hurling the girl’s clothes at her as he snapped, “Hurry up and get dressed!”

JB glanced at his phone as it vibrated, “Tao says Jessica’s taxi has just arrived.”

“You’re dead.” Kai said expressionlessly. Luhan looked about in panic. Then JB smiled, “I have a better idea.”

Jessica Jung flung the door open, her expression stormy as she screeched, “Xi Luhan!”

And then she froze in shock.

Luhan looked up from his armchair, “Hey ‘Sica. You’re early.”

Jessica stared, wide-eyed, at the couple kissing on the bed. JB pulled away from the girl and winked at Jessica, “Hey. It’s been a while.”

Jessica rolled her eyes, “Why am I even so surprised? I should have known you would be doing something like this.” She shot a glare at Luhan and Kai, “And you two voyeurs… god this is ridiculous.”

JB laughed, “Seriously, Jessica, you’ve totally ruined the mood.” He pushed the girl to the side, and she scrambled to grab her clothes.

Kai got to his feet as JB got off the bed, “Well, let’s give the lovebirds their time alone.”

As JB passed Luhan, he murmured, “You owe me one.”

Luhan rolled his eyes.

JB and Kai quietly shut the door as they left the room, and JB stretched, “Well, at least we saved him from her wrath.”

Kai shot him a look, “You actually enjoyed that, didn’t you?”

JB shrugged, grinning, “I’ll take what comes.”

Kai rolled his eyes. JB’s Lamborghini drove up to them, and Kris quickly got out of the car, opening the door for Kai and JB.

JB nodded. As he and Kai got into the car, JB asked, “Are the documents I asked for ready yet?”

Kris handed him a file in answer. JB gave an approving nod, “Thanks, Kris.” He flipped the door open, quickly scanning the documents.

Kai glanced at the file and raised an eyebrow, “Who’s Park Jiyeon? Is she the girl who slapped you yesterday?”

JB looked at him sharply, “How do you know that?”

Kai grinned for the first time, “Baek is an excellent source of gossip. I saw him yesterday at an event and he mentioned it.”

“Why am I not surprised?” JB’s voice was irritated as he snapped the file shut, “Which reminds me – what are you doing here in Thailand anyway? I was surprised to see your car at the airport.”

“There’s a case. International case, some guy’s trafficking drugs from Korea to Thailand. I’m cooperating with the Thai security to apprehend him. And you?

“I’m here to settle a deal with a mining company, when the little spy I placed near Jessica told me that she’d found out about Luhan, so I decided to save his .” JB shrugged. Kai gave him a look, “Yuri is not “your spy”. She’s just a girl you seduced into giving you useful information.”

JB shrugged, “Same thing either way.”

Kai indicated the file, “Anyway, is this your next target?”

JB smiled grimly, “This little girl needs to be taught a lesson, and who better to do it then me?”

Kai shrugged, “None of my business, I guess. Just don’t go overboard.”

JB grinned, “You know me. I like to take things slow and gently.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Jiyeon, the CEO wants to speak to you.”

Jiyeon blinked, staring at the manager in surprise, “Only me? Why?”

The manager shrugged, “No idea, he didn’t say. Hurry up, he’s impatient.”

Jiyeon hesitated. Eunjung patted her on the shoulder, “Don’t worry, I’m sure you’re not in any trouble. We’ll wait for you at home, all right?”

Jiyeon nodded, smiling gratefully, “Thanks, unnie.” Then she followed her manager.

Fifteen minutes later, Jiyeon rapped sharply on the door of Kim Kwang Soo’s office.

The door opened almost at once. Kim Kwang Soo stared at Jiyeon silently, his expression indecipherable.

Jiyeon bowed, greeting him a little uneasily, “Sir.”

There was a pause. Then Kim Kwang Soo ordered, “Come with me.”

Jiyeon blinked, startled. Then she hurried to catch up with her CEO as he strode to the elevator. Confused, she asked, “Where are we going?”

“Don’t ask so many questions.” Kim Kwang Soo snapped, his tone short.

Jiyeon was even more puzzled by her CEO’s tone, but could do nothing except to follow him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JB pushed the door open as he pulled his jacket off. He tossed it onto the sofa and threw himself onto the bed, staring up at his dark ceiling. A frown creased his brows as he surveyed his dark gray ceiling, and, unexpectedly, a memory jumped to his mind…

She stared up at the ceiling, “The colour of your ceiling is awful. It reminds me of dead cats.”

JB didn’t take his eyes off his computer, “I like gray. Dark gray especially. It’s a good, solid colour. Not a flamboyant colour.”

She pouted, “But you’ve got no idea what spiders or insects might be hiding in there! How do you stand sleeping under this thing?”

JB smiled, “I survive.”

She shook her head, “Nope, you’re going with me to buy light blue paint tomorrow, and we’re repainting your room.”

JB sighed, “You know I can’t. I’ve got to finish this contract by the weekend. If Empire can seal this deal, we’ll be taking over a quarter of Samsung’s shares. That’ll be incredibly profitable for us.”

She stared silently at him. Quietly, she asked, “Is your whole life about work? What about m-”

“JB?”

JB’s eyes flickered open and he lifted his head, only to see Tao. Tao pointed downstairs, “There’s a guy called Kim Kwang Soo here who wants to see you.”

JB frowned as he got up, “That old ert got the money already? That’s not possible.”

“Should I send him up?” Tao asked. JB shook his head, “Show him to the meeting room. I’ll be there in a moment.”

Tao nodded and headed off. JB sighed, grabbing his jacket and pulling it on again. He checked himself briefly in the mirror, making sure he was presentable, before leaving the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tao showed them to the meeting room, speaking quickly, “The young master has requested that you wait for him here, he will be with you shortly. Please, take a seat.”

Jiyeon frowned as she followed Tao and her CEO. Where was this place? Why had her CEO brought her here? Who was this “young master” they were talking about? Then her eyes widened at the sight of the meeting room, all thoughts blown out of her mind in an instant.

It was grander, grander than her own house, even. It looked more like a dining hall, with a large, long table made of agarwood set in the middle. The table was gold-plated, a long tablecloth covering the table itself; the tablecloth was made in the fantastic likeness of Artemis and her Hunters. The chairs were also made of agarwood, with what looked like pure gold set in the back and sides of the chair. Ancient crystal chandeliers hung from the ceilings, lit with wax candles. From the walls hung beautiful, famous painting that Jiyeon had only ever heard of: Vase with Fifteen Sunflowers, The Card Players, Woman III and many, many more. Jiyeon stared, stunned beyond belief, at all this extravagance. Even the carpet was an expensive-looking Persian Rug.

“My father was always fond of extravagance; all our houses are decorated thus.”

Jiyeon whipped around at the sound of the voice. Her eyes widened in shock to see JB striding towards them, his expression amiable.

Kim Kwang Soo strained to keep his voice steady, “It’s very…nice.”

JB smiled, “You’re too kind. So, to what do I owe this pleasure?”

At that, Jiyeon turned to stare at her CEO as well, wanting to know why she had been dragged here.

“I can’t possibly raise that great a sum of money in such a short time so-”

JB held up a hand, “Enough. I’m a businessman, and as I’m sure you know, businessmen are never interested to hear excuses. If you’ve brought Miss Park here to apologise and beg for more time, then save it. Don’t waste my time and embarrass yourself.”

Kim Kwang Soo shook his head, “I’m afraid you misunderstand. Yes, I am here to beg for more time. But I haven’t brought Jiyeon here to apologise.”

Jiyeon stared at her CEO, a sense of unease slowly growing in her. JB raised an eyebrow and waited expectantly.

“I’m here to offer her to you.”

-------------------------------------

Hey guys, here's the next chapter! 

It's been a really long time since I updated, not just this story but all my stories. That's cos my end-of-year examinations started and I was mugging like crazy for them, so I hope you'll all understand. There probably won't be any update for any of my stories until next Tuesday, cos that's when I finish my examinations. After that...well, expect a flood of updates :)

This story is moving quite fast; Kim Kwang Soo really is a selfish , isn't he? Jiyeon and JB obviously got off on the wrong foot; they practically hate each other now, although JB is slightly interested in her. And Kris's swag XD I loved adding in all the little anecdotes about Kris. 

Luhan and Kai also featured briefly in this chapter. Luhan's really a playboy and a bit of a jerk, but it's mainly because he's got a lot of pride and can't stand being thrown aside by his girlfriend for her career, so this is how he gets back at her. He's also a bit of an attention seeker; he's dating her just for the publicity since she's a famous idol, and he always wants attention from her. Kai's the mysterious loner for now, but there'll be more on him in the next chapter. 

Anyway, remember to comment and subscribe guys! Love y'all!