Chapter 4

Easily Broken

 

My POV

 

Kyuhyun walked me back to my classroom after the school was deemed safe. We discussed what we would cook this afternoon. It was decided that we would play it safe and cook ham. Not much could happen with that right?

“So, I’ll see you later right?” I asked ready to enter my classroom.

“Yeah, oh and when the bell rings just stay here and wait for someone to come and get you.” I sighed but agreed nonetheless.

“Alright.”

He left shortly after and I returned to my seat. I suppose that I was extra early in my return since I was the only one there; except for that one quiet guy who sits in the back row. What was his name? Minho I think. I always stayed away from him, since he wasn’t the most inviting person to walk up to. Maybe I’m feeling courageous right now or maybe I’m just stupid, but I walked slowly over to the brown headed boy deeply engrossed in his book.

I tapped his shoulder lightly to get his attention, but he didn’t even so much as look up at me. Strange. Maybe he was at a really interesting part of his book; in that case I’ll wait.

He kept on reading for five minutes straight without even noticing me standing there awkwardly. Tapping his shoulder once again, I waited for a reply that never came. What wrong with this guy? I cleared my throat to let him know that I was still there. He nonchalantly turned the page and checked his watch letting out a sigh of annoyance.

“Excuse me, Minho right, I’m Yujin. I wanted to know if y-you wanted to hang out sometime.” He raised his head to look at me, but it looked as if he was looking through me. He raised an eyebrow as if to ask what I was still doing here.

“Do I look desperate?” His voice was full of cockiness. He turned back to his book ignoring my presence.

“No need to be rude.” I turned around to find that Jonghyun guy staring me up and down. He had a certain aura around him that made it seem like he was better than everyone else.

“One day. One day, you hang out with that Leeteuk and you think that you’re something. You’re nothing. You know it, I know, Leeteuk knows it. But, if you want to yourself around then be my guest.” He walked away leaving me stunned. I didn’t even say one word to him.

Why is it that he’s always around? Stupid dinosaur.  Me, a ? I haven’t even had my first kiss yet. “And you never will.” That voice in my head said.

Why am I letting him get to me? I have other things to think and worry about. Like, where am I going to live? There’s that old shelter I used to live at, maybe I could stay there for a night or two.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when the students re-entered the classroom and the lesson started up again. Might as catch up on some sleep.

“Ms. Kim. Ms. Kim. Ms. Kim!” I woke with a start and heard laughter all around me.

“Huh?” My teacher, Mr. Sooman, shook his head before addressing me again.

“No sleeping in my class. I swear students nowadays.  All of their technology keeping them up all night.”  A girl sitting in front of me raised her hand to put in her two cents.

“Sir, you can’t really blame all of the students because of some misfit. Also, look at her. Does it look like she can afford any technology? She’s probably tired from using all night at work. I hear that job .” She turned around to look at me and mouthed the word “”, then turned back to face forward.

All of my classmates laughed. I felt like crying. I’ve never done anything remotely like that before in my life. If anyone is a then it’s that Barbie Krystal.

I tried my best not to show any emotion, but I’m afraid that if the bell for lunch doesn’t ring soon then my features will betray me. Just hold it in. Hold it in.

RING!

Thank the flying stars in space! My classmates poured out of the classroom leaving me alone with Junhyung.  Out of all people in my class; why him? He’s the class byuntae.

I glue my eyes to the floor refusing to look up. I could feel his eyes looking at me. Should I just walk out and head to the peaceful garden in the courtyard? No, I told Kyuhyun I would stay here until someone came to get me.

I’m pulled out of my thoughts when I feel an arm wrap around my shoulders. Looking up I see Junhyung smirking down at me. It took all I had not to kick, scream, and slap him all at once.

“Why so tense,” He stood up straight; his eyes never once leaving mine, “I hear you’re good with your mouth. How much does one session cost?”

I nearly jumped all the way to Austria. Surely he doesn’t believe that. I shake my head furiously, putting my hands in front of me.

“I-I don’t do that.” He laughed causing me fidget with my skirt that seemed so short at this moment. Damn school uniform.

“Come on. Don’t be that way. I could pay you double what any other guy pays. I’ll even through in a bonus for doing it at school. Deal?”

Was he out of his deranged mind? He would really do something like that at school? Not that I would do that anywhere, but was he really that careless?

“I-I’m serious. I don’t do things like that. If you want a hooker go to a strip club and buy one.” I couldn’t take it anymore. I had to leave. I started to make my way to the exit when I feel myself being pulled back. He pushed me to the ground and forced himself on top of me.

“Please don’t.” I pleaded, but he acted like he didn’t hear me. He fumbled with his pants buckle letting out a string of slurs when it wouldn’t open fast enough.

“Yujin-ah, are you in here? Oppa has something for you.” Jungsu walked into the classroom carrying a box in his hands. He looked at the situation before him. Rage flashed in his eyes as his let the box drop to the ground. With swift speed he threw Junhyung from me.

“What the hell Jungsu!” Jungsu grabbed him by the collar and nailed him in the face. With each punch more and more blood came pouring out of his nose.

I got up and ran over towards the scene. I grabbed Jungsu’s arm as he was rounding up for another punch.

“Just stop now.” He let go of him and threw him to the ground. Jungsu grabbed my hand and practically dragged me out of the classroom. I followed him silently; just wanting to know what was going through his head. My eyes scrolled down and examined his hand; it was bloody and bruised.

“J-Jungsu, your hand is bruised.” He continued walking as though I never said anything.

The rest of the walking journey was quiet. I then noticed that he had taken me to the school’s courtyard. I always loved coming here. The garden was well managed and active during this time of year. The birds also liked to come out and sing their song to whoever would listen. I would always come here to cry when life got too hard.

He made me sit on the bench, but instead of sitting down himself; he starting pacing. I was going to wait it out but he just kept on pacing, then he would stop to look at me then pace some more. Finally getting tired of it I grabbed his arm as he was walking by and made him sit down.

“Wait here.” He looked like he was going to object but I left before he had the chance.

I rushed over to the big oak tree that resided here and pulled out a bag from the hole in the middle of the tree. I always kept a first aid kit there, so whenever I would get beat up I could patch up myself right here.

I walked back over and sat down next to Jungsu. Grabbing his hand, I started to dab some alcohol on his bruise. He hissed causing me to chuckle slightly. Then I sighed. He didn’t have to beat up Junhyung for me. I’m the reason his hand is hurting and his mood is ruined. Why do I always screw everything up?

“I’m sorry,” He looked up and blinked with confusion. “If I wasn’t so stupid then none of this would have happened. I’m such a screw up and good for nothing. I’m a good for nothing screw up.” I ranted on while fixing up his hand.

He snatched his hand from me and used both of his hands to cup my cheeks; forcing me to look at him. He sighed and ruffled my hair. He then pulled me closer to him and hugged me tight. We were so close that I lost my breath. He placed his head on top of mine.

“Only let me get this close to you, understand?” I don’t know why, but I found myself nodding to his demand. I should have yanked away from him like I did with Junhyung, but I couldn’t even find the strength to move. I found comfort in his arms and I never wanted to let that go.

“You should pull away while you still can.” The voice in my head said, but for once I refused to listen. “Fine, but when he breaks your heart don’t say I didn’t warn you. Look at you; do you really think he feels any interest towards you? Pfft, fool.”

I pulled away from him and fidget with my hands in my lap. My face turned a deep red when I heard my stomach growl loudly. Jungsu laughed and stood up outstretching his hand towards me.

“Come; let’s get you something to eat.” I stared at his hand wondering if I should take it or not. What if we walked in the cafeteria like that? People, mostly girls, would kill me with their glares.

“If you don’t take my hand then I’ll throw you over my shoulder kicking and screaming.” He teased, but I think that he’d really do it. I quickly grabbed his hand and he smiled. “Good girl.” He said while patting my head.

We walked hand in hand and at first it felt really weird, but then, I don’t know, it felt comfortable. I even started to swing our hands back and forth happily. Wow happy, I haven’t thought about that word in a very long time. I even forgot that it existed.

He ruffled my hair once again and said that I was cute. What’s with him and touching my hair? I got on my tippy toes and tried to ruffle his hair only to miss and almost fall. I would have fallen, but Jungsu caught me while laughing. Was it me or was laugh a little strange?

“Next time I’ll get you a step ladder so you can ruffle my hair ok?” Grr. One more word Jungsu. I swear one more word.

“Shut up.” I laughed as we walked into the cafeteria. People seemed to stop immediately to look over at us, but Jungsu seemed to be oblivious as he started to lead me over to his table. The Kingka Table.

I saw his friends already there. I had met them all earlier today during the evacuation of the school, but I had only actually talked to Yesung and Kyuhyun. I also don’t even think that I got their names.

I then thought about something. Didn’t we have to get in line to get our food? I tugged on his shirt to get his attention. 

“Hmm?”

“I thought we were getting food.” I pouted which earned me what? I’m pretty sure you can guess by now. That earned me another ruffled of my hair.

“We are, silly.” He chuckled.

“But don’t we have to get in line?” He looked at me as if I said the funniest thing in the world.

“Of course not silly, our food gets delivered here fresh to our table.” My mouth took the shape of an O. We walked over toward the table and were greeted by his friends.

“Hey, Yujin!” Yesung said excitedly. Kyuhyun waved at me and I nodded towards him. Jungsu cleared his throat and began to speak.

“Everyone this is Yujin. Yujin this is every one.” He then told everyone to introduce themselves. I politely bowed.

A huge feast was then bought out in front of us. My jaw dropped. This is what the Kingka’s and Queenka’s eat? Omo it’s way better than the food served in the cafeteria. Everyone was told to eat up and help yourselves. So, that’s what I did, or at least tried to do.

As I tried to place food on my plate Jungsu grabbed it from my hand. He put a little bit of everything on my plate then sat it in front of me.

“T-Thanks. “ He smiled at me showing off his dimples. Everything was fine until the Queenka’s came. They looked disgusted once they saw me.

“What is that doing here?” She pointed at me with one hand and held her nose with the other.

“Careful, don’t get too close. It might bite.” Her friend said and they started laughing. She instantly pulled her hand away from me and turned toward Jungsu.

“Oppa, tell it to get lost already so we can eat in peace.” She whined and stomped her feet like a child. Jungsu sighed and looked at her agitatedly.

“Jessica, she’s staying. So please, either sit down or leav-“

“N-No, it’s alright. I’ll leave. I wasn’t really hungry anyway. Enjoy your lunch.” I stand up and my spot is replaced by Jessica and her friends.

“Hey, I’ll go with you.” One of Jungsu’s friends, Eunhyuk I think, said. I put my hands in front of me and shook my head.

“No, no. It’s ok, really. Enjoy your lunch, I’m fine.” I turn and walk out of the cafeteria.

What was I thinking? Who am I to sit at that table? I’m a no one. Just like Jonghyun said.