The Other Shoe

Cinderella's Converse Shoe

 

                               Hankyung stood there, stunted. Is he being left just like that?? Of course not. He is a man. He is going to get what he wanted. Hankyung ran, finding Heechul. However, he saw Heechul already made it out of school, boarding a bus.

                               Hankyung ran again, wishing he can catch up that bus, but it’s too late. Panting, Hankyung held his hand and gave signal to a taxi and aboard it.

“Please follow that bus…” Hankyung said.

                               The driver startled a little, it’s too much sounds like movie scene, but he did it anyway. Hankyung kept his eyes on, not wanting to miss where Heechul stop. And finally he saw Heechul get down the bus in front of a hospital. Hankyung quickly paid the taxi driver and ran again, keeping his eyes on Heechul. That guy is running too. However he didn’t realized Hankyung is following him because of the crowds.

                               After passing few corridors and wards, Heechul turned into another corridor and Hankyung followed him, to see Kangin was there too. Kangin saw him, and his eyes widen. Heechul turned too.

“Hankyung!” he said, surprised.

“Who is in the hospital?” Hankyung asked, ignoring their surprised.

                               Heechul opened his mouth wanted to answer, but nothing came out. Kangin shoved him to the back.

“Go see Leeteuk first. I will talk to him,” Kangin said.

                               Heechul looked at Hankyung for a while, then he get into a room behind them. Kangin turned to him.

“Why are you here??” he asked.

                               Hankyung remembered that Kangin shouldn’t know about him and Heechul.

“I…er…you asked him to replace you right?”

                               Kangin nodded. Hankyung breathe in relief.

“Well, um..I was about to divide the prizes to be given to you then he suddenly remind of something and ran away. I thought of something bad so I followed him,” Hankyung told quite a lie.

“You win?” Kangin asked.

“Hm, well…We did,” Hankyung answered him.

“Oh, no. I.. I think you should take the prize. I did nothing,” Kangin said.

“Now that I’m here… I want to know what had happened. Who is sick?” Hankyung asked.

                               Kangin looked at him, and then he took a seat on the bench at the corridor. Slowly, Hankyung took a seat few chairs away next to him.

“His brother, Leeteuk. He got into accident last month, and was badly injured. He had been unconscious until yesterday…” Kangin answered.

“Is he okay?” Hankyung asked.

“Better. He barely can speak, but he can do some sign. Doctor said he will be better after this,” Kangin answered.

“It’s good to hear that,” Hankyung said.

                               Kangin nodded but doesn’t seem so much excited.

 “Is there any other problem?” Hankyung asked.

                               Kangin sighed and shook his head.

“Come on, what is it?” Hankyung asked.

“Hm...well, the cost for his treatment and surgery..It’s too high. I had worked day and night for that but still, the amount is still out of grip…” Kangin said.

“But why it’s you? You had to work for them?” Hankyung tested.

“Who else would?? They are orphan. And I don’t think my family wants to pay such high cost for someone they barely know, plus our economic state wasn’t that good either. All this time Leeteuk had taken care of Heechul. Leeteuk already had a job so it’s quite okay for them. But now, with him being like that, I had to take care of them. Heechul wanted to work as well but I forbid him. He is a really smart boy in school, I don’t want that to go on waste. Me? My reputation is bad already so I better drop out of school to find a job...my family didn’t care much about me too…” Kangin explained, his voice was filled with emotion.

                               Hankyung nodded, now realized what Heechul had said about Kangin is true.

“What job did you do? How much is the pay?”

 “Not much. I worked at the construction site on the evening, selling tickets at night, then guarding the factory until morning. Sometimes I do other job too. I still spare my morning for school, but now I’m thinking about working on that time too…”

                               Hankyung nodded again. So that explained why he had being sleepy all the time in the class.

“You know…about the prizes… I think it’s may be enough to pay for Leeteuk…” Hankyung said.

                               Kangin turned to him immediately, almost excited, but then his smile faded.

“Hm, no..It’s your money. I can’t take it…”

                               Of course, Hankyung thought, Kangin didn’t know Heechul had involved in making the project too. Hankyung was thinking on how to give him that money without mentioning that. Well, better discuss it with Heechul later. Hankyung stood.

“Hm, well, I had to go. I don’t want to disturb your happiness today. I’ll visit later. Send my greeting to Heechul and Leeteuk…” Hankyung said. Kangin stood up as well.

“Thanks for your concern anyway…” Kangin said.

                               Hankyung nodded then walked out of the hospital. So that is why, he can see the truth in Heechul’s word now. Kangin is truly a caring person. Maybe that is why Heechul had being so eager to help him. Kangin had sacrificed all his time and might for them. He had even thinking about dropping out school. Well yes, Kangin doesn’t have much good reputation in school, and his examination result recently is just so-so…

 

 

 

Hankyung came into a halt. What?

                               Yes, he had seen it. The examination result of high senior student. Like he said before, nothing much was suspicious. But that is the problem. It’s too normal.

                               Hankyung ran towards his school. His head was filled with questions, answers and thought. Leeteuk’s accident was a month ago, before the examination. If Kangin had truly taken care of them ever since, worked 24 hours for them like that, how can he have such a normal result? Kangin seemed doesn’t have time even for himself, and now for study? It’s impossible. Kangin’s result should be less than normal for it to be true.

                               Hankyung ran despite the distance of the school from the hospital. When, he gets into the school entrance, he stopped for a while, he took the displayed shoe out from its box and ran again to the workshop where he usually worked, and turned the computer on.

                               The student’s examination result should be confidential, but since he had worked for the case, he was allowed to see it He scroll down the name list, looking for Kangin’s name. And there it was…

                               It’s normal. It’s almost the same with his previous result.

“No…,” Hankyung muttered under his breath. Did he just catch the trespasser of the school?

                               He took the shoe and sat down. Yes, Kangin’s examination result is too normal to be true. Since he had no time for study he should have less than that. However, he heard what Kangin had said though. It looked like Kangin doesn’t care much about his reputation. And Kangin seemed to be very busy too to trespass the school and change his result. And the shoe didn’t fit him either. Plus, Kangin once had given him idea to catch the trespasser. It can’t be him.

                               It can’t be him, yes, but it was surely his result that had been changed that night. It just…someone else might do it for him.

                               Hankyung palmed his face.

“… I am willing to do anything for him too.”

                               Heechul had once said that. Heechul loved Kangin so much, and like he did to this project, it seemed like he badly wants Kangin to graduate. It didn’t take much to graduate, as long as you didn’t fail certain subject. And Kangin’s current result had qualified him to graduate.

                               Hankyung reluctantly walked to the computer again, searching for examination result for the batch under him. Heechul’s result. Like what Kangin had said, Heechul is really a smart boy, his result topped the chart. It was not impossible for him to be able to answer high senior’s examination paper, well, at least to the point of passing the subject.  

                               Hankyung was certain.

******

                               After one restless night thinking about this, Hankyung finally there, stood in front of Heechul’s house. He pressed the bell. Few moments later, Heechul opened the door, surprised to see Hankyung.

“How…how do you know where my house is??” he asked.

“Hm, well, it was there in the student’s personal detail’s system..” Hankyung said.

“Owh..you are scary. You are not stalking on me aren’t you??” Heechul asked, even though with a smile.

                               Hankyung forced a smile.

“Well, I want to surprise you,” he replied.

“Well, I am surprised. Come on in. It’s lucky I am at home now. I was thinking to go to the hospital,” Heechul said, as he led Hankyung into the house.

“Have a seat, I will take something to drink,” Heechul said and disappear to the kitchen.

                               Hankyung looked around, the house is small but comfortable. There was a picture of Heechul, Kangin and another guy Hankyung thought it must be Leeteuk on the wall. Truly like a family portrait. Hankyung sighed and took a seat. Few minutes later Heechul appear with two glasses of juice.

“What is it? Why did you come?” Heechul asked, took a seat in front of him.

“Hm.. yesterday..It’s Leeteuk?” Hankyung asked.

“Hm, yeah. Kangin had told you right?”

“Urm, yeah,” Hankyung answered, thinking hard to start the conversation.

                               He had been thinking the whole night. Should he just tell Mr. Lee Soo Man about this? Or should he investigate? Or should he ask Heechul? He likes Heechul, after what they had been through, and find out about this of course wasn’t a good thing. Amongst all people, why him? Why Heechul? Hm, well..it’s all written right?

“Heechul…” Hankyung said, determined.

                               Heechul stared at him suspiciously.

“You said you will do anything for Kangin right?” Hankyung asked.

“Yeah…” Heechul answered.

“How far… how far will you go for him?” Hankyung asked again.

“Well, far enough to even kill for him…” Heechul answered.

                               Hankyung nodded. In that case, trespassing and answering examination paper seemed to be small matter for him, huh?

“Heechul…” he called again, the name that gave happiness for him but yet hurt him too.

                               Heechul didn’t answer that. He just continued his sharp stare. Hankyung cleared his throat, and asked,

“What is your shoe size?”

                               It was after then realization spread across Heechul’s face. He was no longer stare, no longer frown. And that moment too Hankyung know it, it was truly Heechul that did it. Heechul leaned his back to on the chair and inhaled deeply. The he looked at Hankyung again.

“…It’s 260,” Heechul answered, well, there is nothing to hide anymore.

                               Hankyung slowly nodded. Then he opened his bag, taking out a paper bag and thing inside it; a left shoe. The left shoe that had been displayed for almost a month now, the shoe that was left the night the office had been trespassed. Hankyung placed it on the table. Then he looked at Heechul.

“Where is the other half?” he asked, almost whispered.

                               At first Heechul just stared at the shoe, then he lifted his gaze to Hankyung. They both stared at each other deeply. Then slowly, Heechul gets up, and get into his room. Hankyung’s heart arched immediately. He closed his eyes. Why, God, why?

                               Few moments later, Heechul appeared, with… god what else more? …a shoe in his hand. The exact color, exact pattern, and exact size. Except that it was a right shoe. Heechul placed it next to the left shoe on the table. Just like that, the pair became complete again.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________

AngelaMiina: Sorry it's short. I think this going to finish after another chpter.Maybe.

Hm, why don't you comment? -___- Anyway, thanks for reading and subscribe...