CHAPTER 5

Whatever Works

"Put your arms around me." Jessica said sweetly, her eyes glistening.

"Sure thing, babe." I reached for her, then at the last moment shoved her away. "Sike."

Eunhye was watching me with big eyes. "Why is Jonghyun so mean?" She whispered loudly to Eunhyuk.

"Yeah, why am I so mean?" I yelled back at her. She flinched away me. Siwon threateningly widened his eyes at me, implying everything he wanted to do to me through his burning glare. Sheesh, okay, okay. She was the one that had started talking about me first. 

Eunhyuk shrugged. "I don't know. SHINee members' tempers aren't very good... I think they're jealous of Super Junior, so they turn bitter." He wiggled his eyebrows playfully at her. Eunhye giggled. Behind them, Donghae stared sourly at his friend. 

"Yeah, because I'm so jealous of you." I said, sarcasm dripping from my voice. 

Taemin agreed, indignantly placing his hands on his hips. "Why would we be jealous of you guys?"

YeJi showed up out of nowhere, defending Eunhyuk. "Well... it's obvious. Super Junior has always one-upped SHINee in their albums...." She grinned at Eunhyuk, who high-fived her. "I originally asked to work with Super Junior, but, sadly, they put me with you guys." Her nose went straight into the area.

Ouch. She really is an Ice Princess.

Jessica caught my pitiful expression of longing for YeJi. The blizzard around her frozen heart must have died down for a few seconds, because she tossed her hair and piped up, to join the fight. "Ummm, actually, Super Junior has kind of died down lately. If you know what I mean. Nothing offensive, HyukJae, but hasn't Taemin become better than you at dancing?" She grinned impishly at Eunhyuk.

He flushed with the sudden challenge. His eyes lit up, his lips quivered as they slightly parted to show white teeth. "Is that a dare?"

Taemin let out a squeak. "Noona, noona, what are you doing?"

"Lately, you've been relying too much on your status. Live it up! We're all idols here: we're all talented. What makes you better than SHINee's maknae?" Jessica goaded Eunhyuk, ignoring Taemin's whimpers. Forget what I said about her heart melting and showing actual emotions. This was for her own pleasure. It had nothing to do with helping me. "Hmmm... maybe I should tell the reporters to give your title to Taemin." She winked.

Eunhye puffed out her cheeks. "Sica Unni, don't joke around! Eunhyuk is still better than Taemin... no offense." She added the last part quickly.

Siwon was rolling his eyes. "Oh, please. Jessica, you're only doing that because you're still grouchy about being voted down on singing, right?"

She let out an indignant sound. YeJi looked like she was holding in a laugh. 

I wanted to avoid competitions. We already had enough in our lives; do we really have to bicker about who has more talent among ourselves? "Guys, guys...."

Eunhye suddenly clapped her hands together. "I know! Jonghyun and Siwon Obba should see who's better too!" What?

Oh my gosh... "Onew, help me!" I hissed at our leader. He had been zoning out, leaning against the wall of our house.

I gave him a shove. It must have been harder than I intended, because he was knocked off his feet. He shot a look at me, hoisting himself  up, and dusting off his pants. "What?"

"No contests... right?"

Taemin chirped in, "Yeah, hyung! I don't want to dance against Eunhyuk..."

Onew nodded, ignoring our protests at being subjected to this. "That would be fun." He wasn't listening to us, because some of the girls were cooking fried chicken in the kitchen. Please, you pathetic food lover, get your mind off of the meat for once and try to help us get out of this!

Taemin was now trying the meek and gentle way of getting what he wants. "I'm not very good at stuff like this... it wouldn't be fair to me, since Eunhyuk has so much more training and is just infinitely better than me... maybe during this vacation I can touch up my skills with him?"

YeJi gave her evil smile to him. A jolt spread through me, when I recognized the same exact look from when we were still kids. "Not getting out of this one with just aegyo."