CHAPTER 1

Whatever Works

"Wow... that girl is a six..." Key drawled lazily. My eyes followed his finger. I didn't know Key could be that nice; I wouldn't have given her a three and a half.

Onew rolled his eyes at us. "You guys are so immature, you know that?" Taemin nodded in agreement. 

"Hyung; shut up." I muttered, flipping my hair. I looked out of the window of the building, checking different girls out, lingering on the ones that were hotter than the rest. 

Suddenly, the door slammed open. It hit the back of my chair, and I went flying off. When I jumped up, my ears were red and smoke was practically coming out of my ears. "Oh my gosh, Eunhye! Watch where you're going, you idiot!"

Eunhye, one of our main song writers walked in. A blue bow was in her straight jet black hair and she had on a short plaid skirt and white blouse that matched. She looked down at me, worried. "Jonghyun, are you okay?"

"Do I look okay?" I hissed through clenched teeth.

Minho gave me a warning look. "Don't be so mean... you don't want Siwon Hyung coming to hunt you down."

Eunhye's Super Junior Siwon's little sister. I also know for a fact that Eunhyuk of SuJu is also obsessed with her, but I don't think she knows. Maybe it's just brotherly love, but the look of idol worship he gives her sometimes is kind of scary. How can you like a girl that much?

She beamed happily. "Siwon Obba said we're all going to go down to the beach soon! SHINee, SuJu, SNSD... maybe f(x) too! And Changmin and Yunho Obba." She twirled through the room. "I don't really like swimming in dirty water, but I really like sunsets. They're so pretty!"

Yeah, whatever. I wanted to tell her she looked stupid, but just then Siwon Hyung came in. With a girl.

"Hey, guys, I was just giving YeJi here a tour." YeJi? Wow... that girl had the same name as my childhood friend. She's going to pay for being born with the same name. "She's interning to be a fashion designer here at SME."

I flipped my hair, looked up... and then fell out of my seat again. YeJi? She looked exactly like the YeJi that I had confessed to right before leaving to become famous... what's she doing here? 

"Hi." YeJi said shyly, rubbing her ankles together. She looked at me, and her eyes seemed to flicker in recognization. I could tell that she was starting to figure out that she knew me from somewhere.

Desperate, I blurted out the one thing that would tell her that I'm not who she thought I was; the huge personality change that I had gone through: "Who's the three?"

At first she looked confused, but then she started to understand that I had just called her ugly. A look of fury ran through her features. Taemin and Minho were giving me 'WTF' looks, and Onew was obviously disgusted with my behavior. Even Key looked a little taken back. But now, all thoughts of me being that old guy left YeJi. "My name's Lee YeJi. Nice... to meet you."

Dang, she still looked the same. Still had that perfect, lean body, and she had grown even more. Probably around 168 centimeters. She had dark, straight hair and those big chocolate eyes (not as enormous as Eunhye's, of course, but she has the biggest eyes I've ever seen). Her outfit was fashionable; a baby pink sweater with a puppy on it. She had always been interested in clothes and ridiculous stuff like that. She'd make a good fashion designer.

But I had just ruined my chances with her. I didn't want it to be awkward, did I? Wow, good job Jonghyun. Now I can never tell her who I am.

Eunhye was rocking on her feet in the corner, but now she raised her hand. Siwon nodded at her warmly, and she asked, "Can I show YeJi around? I have nothing to do anyways. I finished my work for today."

"But you said I could buy you ice-cream!" Siwon protested. She waved him away, and he muttered angrily to himself, and left the room.

"I'm Eunhye." They shook hands, and then she led her out of the room. "Oh, don't mind Jonghyun, I think he's just stressed out...." I heard Eunhye's voice trail off into the hall. Nice Eunhye. Always trying to make someone look better than they are.

As soon as they left, Onew said dryly to me, "Oh, you think she's cute, don't you?"

"Shut up." I said angrily. 

Key laughed. "Ooooh, Jonghyun's in love!"

My reaction of turning red must have been hilarious (somehow) to them, because they exploded with laughter. Wow, so funny, I turned red. Geez, you guys, grow up.

"No! It's just..." I lowered my voice. "She's a childhood friend, alright? But she can't know... okay?"

"Oh, I get it." Minho made them all turn around, but I could still hear his staged, loud whisper. "He confessed to her when they were young, and she rejected him, and now he doesn't want her to know because she might act weird around her. He doesn't want to look bad, and he wants to pretend that he doesn't like her, but really, he loves her with a burning passion. Look at him now, his whole face is like a big tomato. A fat one, too. But you can't tell him, or else he'll get mad at us."

They turned around. I growled, "What did you say?"

"Nothing." They said innocently.