Danyang

Taming dragons

 

 

 

 

"Isn't it beautiful out here!" Mr Gyo cheered while glancing up into the visor, anticipating a gleeful response. However what happened only proved to be a dissapointment. No one answered, not even his hyperactive son. Mrs Gyo, sensing the tension, brushed her husband's hand, trying to comfort him. Mr Gyo only sighed, he knew that he was asking too much from his kids. He was completely aware of that. 

 

Feeling both her parents' eyes on her, Jooyong tucked her blue tipped locks behind her ear and hid her face underneath her hoodie. It gets her upset whenever she sees her parents act all excited about the move. It makes her feel like they don't care about what she thinks. Even if her father was a writter who always worked at home, that doesn't mean that he can just suddenly drag her to whatever city he wants to go to. she feels that she should have been included in the discussion about such a big decision, they should have asked her opinion before pulling her out of school. It was unfair. Just plain wrong. Can't they see it from her perspective?

 

Unable to sleep,  she rested her head on her hands, quiet while watching cars that would occasionally pass from the opposite direction, making her envy each and every one of its passengers. She wanted to go back to seoul so badly, desperately wishing to see her friends and doing all the crazy stuff they usually do. She wants to walk around Myeongdong while eating delicious street snacks, she wants to go skating around the edges of the Han river, she wants to go window shopping in the oh-so-expensive Apgujeong rodeo street without actually buying anything, she wants to laughing her head off while she and her friends filled their stomachs with delicious pork belly cutlets. But you can't always have what you want. If that were the case, Jooyong wouldn't be sitting on hell's express. Still, the memories were sweet. She couldn't help but smile when remembering her friends. There really is no place like home, no place like Seoul.

 

“Are we there yet?” Seungjin pouted, his right hand firmly tucked underneath his chin. Everyone ignored him, forcing the boy to repeat his question. “Are we the-“

 

“Go to sleep and stop whining!” Jooyong snapped, shooting daggers at her younger brother.

 

“Jooyong…” her mother pleaded, watching the two as they endlessly bicker.

 

The teenager crossed her hands as she grumpily took her phone out and adjusted the headphones so that it sat perfectly on her head before turning the volume up as much as possible. She closed her eyes, rocking her head a little to the music before finally nodding off to sleep

 

 

“Jooyong wake up!” Seungjin screamed into her ear. The rude awakening surprised her, causing Jooyong to accidentally swat the 8 year old right in the face. “OWW!!” he yelped, *that’s what you get for being so annoying* she rolled her eyes before realising that they had already arrived at their destination.

 

Jooyong, stepping out of the car, felt slightly woozy; seasick for some reason. Her father really was not joking when he ment "country side". This place was legit. It had rice fields, mountains,  tarmac-less roads and all. There was not a single sky scraper in sight. Instead, a bright flash of green covered her area of vision. So much, that she felt overwhelmed by it, almost intimidated. 

 

She felt a tinge of anger when she witnessed her parents embracing eachother, both their faces smiling. *They dont even care*, she thought. Puffing her bangs from her face, Jooyong stormed into the small old house that her brother had just unlocked, rushing to the first room she saw and claiming it as her own.

 

“Knock knock…” her father whispered, opening the door to her room. She stopped unpacking and watched her father who was standing in the door frame,  smilling.

 

“Don’t you think it’s beautiful?” he asked, admiring the room. She only kept quiet. “This was my room you know…” He smiled a sad smile.

 

“You’ll like it here, I promise.” He said, giving his daughter a hug. “Grandma would be happy.” He whispered before exiting the room,closing the door behind him.

 

The teenager sat on her bed feeling a little bit guilty. The only reason they moved here was because her recently deceased grandmother had left the house to her father in the will. She had never really expected her parents to actually move out to the country side, especially since the school year had already started a couple of months ago.

 

Jooyong forced the butterflies in her stomach to calm down as she thought of tomorrow. It was no secret that jooyong found no joy in meeting new people, and Monday is when she will be forced to sit in a classroom filled with them. *Will they force me to cut my blue tips?* Brushing the thoughts out of her head, the sleepy girl closed her eyes and fell asleep.

 

 

“We're gonna be late!!” Seungjin screamed into her ear, causing the sleepy Jooyong to sit up straight, pushing her already-dressed-in-uniform annoying brother crashing to the floor. “Stop doing that!” she hissed at him before storming her way to the bathroom and get ready for school. She tossed yesterday’s clothes into the wicker basket and cleansed her face quickly before jumping into the shower for a short wash. 

 

"Hurry up, we're going to be late!" Seungjin kept whining, furiously tapping the door of her bathroom. But Jooyong ignored him. She had realised since long ago that the only way to defeat her brother was by pretending that he didn't get under her skin. That, is not very easy to do; but is very, very effective. Grabbing a bobby pin, Jooyong twirled her long, wavy black hair into a bun, making sure that she hid the light blue ends well. 

 

 

“Be careful!” Her mother beamed at the three, kissing her husband before pushing him and her two kids out the door, chuckling. "Be back soon honey!" Mr. Gyo waved at his wife.

 

Jooyong carried her bag and followed her father as he showed the two kids their way to school. “Dad, I’ll just follow them” she said when they arrived at Seungjin’s school, pointing at the group of teenagers who wore the same high school uniform as she did. He smiled, kissed her cheek and said  “good luck, and make friends” Before walking away.

 

She waited until her father disappeared around the corner before following the high schoolers up the street. They occasionally looked back and sneaked peeks at her, the girls giggling, while the boys started to whisper to each other.

 

Ignoring them, she watched her feet as they moved, finding how it was facinating that her left sock was slightly longer than the other. Not long after, the school came into sight. Now that she no longer needed the help of her friends, Jooyong slowed her pace, enjoying the solidarity while she had it.

 

As she got closer to the building, the crazier the butterflies in her stomach got. *It won’t be so bad, I can…adapt.” She tried comforting herself. But her thoughts strayed when she suddenly felt someone bump her shoulder, causing her to fall. “Sorry” The tall blonde quickly said, not even bothering to help her up before running to the same group of students Jooyong was following while screaming, “You asses! Why didn’t you wait for me?”

 

She scoffed, lifting herself up before flattening her uniform, grunting when she realised that there was now a patch of mud on the left side of her skirt. *Great, just great* She glared at the boy and his friends who had just disappeared into the school.

 

Whispering profanities under her breath, Jooyong stomped into the school grounds, forgetting her jitters and ignoring random stares from other students.

 

 

***

 

 

Author's note:

 I'm so sorry it took so long but hope i didn't dissapoint!! Thank you for everyone who subscribed before the first chapter was even up. I really appreciate it <3 I know that this chapter is a bit dry but i'll try to make the comming chapters as fun as possible, so don't unsubscribe just yet ;D luv u guys <3 comment and tell me what you feel about it so far.