The Rescue

Destiny

 

The smell of blood filled the room, causing me to become thirsty. I felt my fangs protrude from my mouth. I began lose myself in the lust for blood. I followed my vampiric instincts into a room where a man lay motionless on the floor in a pool of his own blood. I let out a hiss at the sight, and looked around the room. It seemed that there was a struggle of some sort in here as well. Blood splattered the walls and slowly dripped down them. I began to breathe heavy. The room was pink, and had toys, dolls, and stuffed animals of a small female child. My mouth watered, and I let out a small growl. When I noticed what had become of me, I looked up into the mirror on the wall. I saw that my eyes were piercing purple.

 “I can’t let my instincts take over.” I said to myself, “I have to see if anyone is still alive.” 

I bent down to the man, placing my hand on his neck. There was no pules, but what I found instead was two small puncture wounds.

“So you fell victim to something you didn’t even know was real.” I said to the dead man, “I’m sorry for that.”

I got up and continued around the apartment complex looking for any survivors, but in the back of my head I knew that there wouldn’t be any.

I walked down the hall. I heard the sound of fast shallow breathing. I reached a door at the end of the hallway, and behind it came the breathing. It was cracked open, so I pushed it open all the way, revealing a blood-stained room. The smell of blood was even more potent in here than in the child’s room. A woman lay on the bed barely breathing.

I rushed to her side, “Mam are you alright?” I asked her. She looked into my eyes, and hers widened with fear.

She tried to fight me, “No!” she cried, “No! Please don’t hurt me!” she said struggling to breathe.

“I’m not going to hurt you,” I said softly, trying to calm her down. “I have to get you to a hospital.”

“No! You’re the same as the monster that attacked me!” She said trying to push me away.

That’s when I saw the bite marks on her neck. This time, they didn’t look like a normal vampire’s. Blood spilled from the wound, and my mouth continued to water. My instincts told me to feed from her, but my mind said otherwise.

“I won’t hurt you. What happened? Let me get you to the hospital.” I said kindly fighting my urges to drink from her.

“No! No! You have to save her! You have to save my baby!” she cried, and her voice began to become weaker.

“What do you mean?” I asked, “Is there someone else?”

I looked at the women, and worry filled my eyes.

She nodded, “My baby girl,” she said turning her head to the picture frame on the nightstand. In the frame was a picture of a littler girl with the woman who I was speaking with, and the man I found in the other room. Next to that picture frame was just a picture of the littler girl.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Where is she?” I asked the woman.

“Save her,” the woman said gasping for air. I knew it was the end, and the woman was about to give up on fighting to live. “Save my Minsoa. Please take care of her. You’re not like the creature that did this. Save my daughter, take care of her…” The woman said coughing up some blood. I tried to make it more comfortable for her, sitting her up in my arms.

“I’ll save her.” I said, and the woman grabbed my arm, she then lifted her hand and touched the side of my face.

“Protect Minsoa. Promise me you will look after her.” The woman said in a whisper.

Her eyes were full of tears, and they finally dropped from her eyes. For some reason I could feel the pain she felt. Not the physical pain from the attack, but the heart break from leaving her child.

“I promise.” I said to her, and her breathing ceased. “I promise you I will take care of her.” I looked down at her, and she had finally passed. Her eyes remained open as her body lay still. The life in her eyes had faded, and I gently shut them so she could rest in peace. I laid her body down gently on the bed.

“I’m sorry.” Was all I said, and I quickly ran around the apartment looking for the little girl. I knew that there wasn’t much time left to save her if she hadn’t already been killed. I was looking in a closet when a scream came from the ally outside. I ran to the window, and saw a shadow figure over a small child. I could see the child was frightened, and crying. She squeezed a stuffed animal against her chest and tried to hide her face from the monster that stood before her.

I don’t know what came over me, but I became very protective, and let out a growl. I jumped out of the second story window, and landed on the ground crouching. The creature was covered in blood, and let out a menacing laugh.

“Don’t worry little girl, I promise you I won’t hurt you…” It said, “that much.”

The girl tried to hide; she crawled away from him, backing up into the brick wall of a building behind her.

“You have no where to go.” It said, as it stepped closer to her. It bent down and grabbed a hold of the girl pulling her closer to him. His eyes were black, just like an abyss. I knew what I was up against. It was a vampire that was on the bottom of the vampire hierarchy. It was a human who had been turned into a vampire and had lost control of himself, giving into the blood lust completely. I hate vampires like that; they make my kind look bad. I growled loudly when he bent in to bite her. He froze and so did the little girl. He turned his head towards me, and I stared at him with angry eyes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Find your own meal.” He said, and turned back to the child.

I bared my fangs at him, “You won’t touch her,” I growled, inflicting pain on him with my mind. He let go of the little girl, and grabbed at his head screaming in pain. The little girl crawled behind a dumpster in the ally, and hid out of sight. I walked over to the vampire.

“You’re pathetic.” I said grabbing a hold of him, and pushing him against the wall. He grunted when I forced him against it.

“You wouldn’t know, what it’s like to have a constant fire in your throat.” He said.

I stared at him, “That’s not my problem, I can control myself.” I said pushing him harder against the wall. I heard bones inside of his body crack, and snap. He let out a cry in pain. There is a difference between vampire who have been turned by pure bloods and vampires who have been born vampires. First vampires who were turned are much weaker than those who are naturally a vampire. Second they don’t have any powers, and third they have an uncontrollable lust for blood.

“I didn’t ask for this!” the vampire yelled, “It was your kind who did this to me! This is the only way I can survive.”

“You don’t deserve to live.” I said coldly, “Feeding off humans, especially and innocent child!”

“You don’t understand, I fought it for so long.” He said.

“Then I will end your misery.”

“Please help me,” He said. And I leaned my head towards his neck. I aggressively bit down on his neck, causing his blood to flow into my mouth. He let out a grunt from the pain, and his blood quenched my thirst for now. He breathed heavily when I pulled my head back, and began to shake. I still held him against the wall, and forced my hand into his chest. The vampire let out a scream in pain, as I grabbed a hold of his heart and ripped it out of his chest.  I let go of him, and he fell lifeless onto the ground. I dropped the heard, and wiped the blood from my hands on his clothes. I stared at his lifeless body, “You sicken me.”

I then turned my head towards the dumpster, my fangs. I walked over to it, knowing the little girl was behind it hiding. I heard her heart beating, it was fast and that told me she was afraid. I wiped the blood from my face with my sleeve, and stood in front of her. My shadow covered her from the light, and she started to slowly scoot away from me, until she could go no further. I crouched down to her eye level, and she hid her face from mine. She squeezed her stuffed animal tightly, and cried into it.

“It’s alright your safe now” I said to her, and she looked up at me. Her eyes were big, and hazel colored. They showed fear, and she looked like a deer in headlights. She hid her face once again in her stuffed animal.

“Don’t worry I won’t hurt you.” I said, and she looked up at me once again.

She let out a whine, and looked me in the eyes.

“Come here,” I said, holding my hand out to her faced up and open. She looked at my hand and back up to me. “It’s okay, I won’t hurt you.”

She looked back down at my hand, and thought for a moment. She raised her small hand, and it shook as she placed it in mine.

“See that wasn’t so hard.” I said to her, helping her out from behind the dumpster.

She had some small scrapes and cuts, as well as some bruises forming from the attack. She trembled with fear, and I didn’t blame her. She had just seen both her parents be killed by a monster, and almost got killed herself, when another monster saved her. I really don’t think of myself as a monster, but she most likely thinks of me as one. My fangs still showed, and I tried to keep her from seeing them. Once I got her out from behind the dumpster, I pulled her closer to me. She still held the stuffed toy in her arms, which was a pink unicorn. She resisted me at first, but then gave in. I got down to here eye level again, and looked her straight in the eyes. I gently caressed the side of her face wiping the tears from her cheeks. She sniffled, letting more tears fall from her eyes.

“Shhh, shhhh, It’s alright.” I said comforting her. “I’m here, no one can hurt you again.”

She trembled, and I pulled her into my chest. I held her there for a few moments. I didn’t know what I had gotten myself into, but for some strange reason I was glad it happened. I gently brushed the hair out of her face, and rested my chin on the top of her head. Taking in her scent, made me feel warm on the inside. I gently held her in my arms as she cried.

“Where’s Eomma and Appa?” She sobbed in my chest.

I pulled her tighter against me, “They aren’t here anymore.” I whispered in her ear. I felt my fangs retract, and I knew that my eyes had turned back to their normal brown color.

“Where did they go?” she sniffled, not looking up at me.

“To a better place.” Was all I said, I didn’t know how to tell her that they were killed, and that I made a promise to her mother on her deathbed.

“Can you take me there? I want Eomma.” She said with a shaky voice.

“I wish I could, but I can’t,” I said kindly to her, pulling her out of my chest and lifting her head so I could see her eyes.

She stared into my eyes, “Wea?”

“Because even I can’t go to that place. They are in Heaven, watching over you. I promised your Eomma I would protect you.” I said to her.

She just stared back at me, and water filled her eyes once again. “What’s going to happen to me?” she cried, and looked up towards the heavens.

“You’re going to come live with me Minsoa.” I spoke softly, and wiped the tears from her cheeks, “don’t cry everything will be alright.”

“But I don’t know you!” She screamed, pulling away from me. “I want my Eomma! Appa help!”

It hurt me to see her like this. All because my kind has to have a civil war going on, and has now dragged humans into the middle of it.

 

“You’re a monster!” she cried, and struggled away from me, but I wouldn’t let go.

“I’m not a monster,” I said, “A monster hurts people, I don’t do that.”

“Then what are you?” She sniffled.

“I’m a vampire. But I don’t harm humans, I want to live peacefully with them.”

“I don’t understand…” She said.

“You will in time, you’re too young right now. Let me take you home.”

“My home’s right there.” She said pointing to the flower shop with the apartment.

“I know, but you can’t stay here anymore it’s not safe. You will come live with me where it’s safe, and I can protect you.”

“But, but, but… I don’t know your name.”

I smiled to her kindly, “I’m Kim Himchan”

“Himchan Oppa” she said softly.

I smiled when I heard her say that, “Ne.”

“Promise you won’t hurt me.” She said starting to become more comfortable around me.

“I promise you that.” I said, and she put her arms around me burying her face in my chest. Her body was warm, and I picked her up holding her tightly against me. She rested her head on my shoulder holding onto the stuffed unicorn. I started walking back home, carrying her the whole way. I turned my head so that I would see hers. Her eyes were shut, and her breathing was steady and smooth. Her lips moved ever so slightly, and the side of her face was now on my shoulder. Her lips were towards my neck, and I felt her warm breath against my skin. She looked so peaceful sleeping. I turned my head towards hers and lightly kissed her on the forehead.

 

I had finally reached the mansion I lived in. I climbed to the top of the hill, and opened the door with my mind. My powers came in handy when my hands were full. I walked inside the house, and closed the door with my powers again. I heard the guys in the family room. I walked in further and saw Zelo, and Yongjae playing video games. Daehyun was reading a book, and Jongup was doing pushups on the floor. I didn’t see Yongguk hyung anywhere. Daehyun was the first to look up towards me. His eyes were surprised to see that I had a small human in my arms.

“Does anyone else smell a human?” Yongjae said not looking away from the TV.

“Yeah, I thought my mind was playing ticks on me.” Zelo replied.

“I smell it too.” Jongup said in the middle of a push up.

“Where is it coming from?” Yongjae said, and then his head turned towards me.

“Hyung.” Daehyun said, “Why do you have a human girl in your arms?” He asked standing up, and putting the book on the coffee table.

“Whoa!” Zelo said jumping up off the floor, “Can we keep her?”

“Zelo she’s not a pet.” Yongjae said, “and she’s probably not for keeps. We most likely will feed off of her.”

My eyebrows furrowed together, “We won’t be drinking from her.” I said with a growl. “She’s going to live with us from now on.”

“What!” Jongup said surprised and stood up from the ground, “Yongguk hyung won’t be pleased.”

“He doesn’t have a say in this.” I said.

“I don’t have a say in what?” Yongguk’s deep voice boomed as he walked into the family room. His eyes laid on Minsoa, “You better have a good explanation for bringing a human into our home!” he growled.

“I do,” I said.

“Then please do explain.” His eyes hardened, and his voice sounded angry.

“I saved her from a ravenous vampire. She has no one to take care of her, so I brought her here.” I explained, and Zelo’s eyes widened. I could tell he was excited, a smile stretched across his face. He always wanted to be called Oppa by girls.

“That’s not our problem.” Yongguk said, “Get rid of her or I will.”

“I’m not going to do that. I promised her mother that I would protect her, and take care of her.”

“You shouldn’t make promises you can’t keep.” Yongguk said starting to yell.

“Hyung! Look at her; she’s just an innocent child. Give her a chance.” I pleaded with him. Yongguk Hyung is a pure blood. And is in charge, anything he says goes, but I won’t let it happen this time.

“A chance for what?” He growled loudly, and Minsoa began to stir in her sleep.

“Shhhh, She’s asleep. Don’t wake her.” I scolded, “You know that it will look good for all of us to have a human living with us. It will show the vampire council that both vampires and humans can peacefully live amongst each other. Besides isn’t that one of your goals.”

He hates when I proved him wrong. He looked at me with hard eyes, “Fine, she can stay, but she has to be taught how to behave in both worlds.”

I smiled, “Kamsahamnida hyung.” I said and started my way upstairs to my room.

“Yay! We can keep her!” Zelo exclaimed.

I walked into my room, and gently placed Minsoa on my bed. I pulled the covers over her, and brushed the hair from her face. I leaned over her and kissed her on the forehead, “Welcome to your new home Minsoa.” I said, and walked out of the room.

 

I went back downstairs. “Daehyun,” I called.

“Yeah hyung.”

“Can I ask you to do me a favor?”

“Sure hyung what is it?”

“Can you keep an eye on her until I get back, I’m going to go to her house and get some of her things.” I said

“Ahh… I guess.” He said. I knew he was hesitant to do it. I could read his mind, and it told me that he was afraid that she would freak out, and he didn’t know how to take care of a kid.

“Don’t worry she’s asleep, I’ll be back before she wakes up.” I said.

He looked at me and nodded, “Okay, I hope your right. Do you want me to watch over her as she sleeps?”

“Ne.”

“Okay, hurry back.” He said with worry in his voice. He left heading upstairs towards my room.

“Jongup! Come with me.” I said.

“Where are we going Hyung?” He asked.

“To Minsoa’s house to get some of her things.” I said.

“Okay,” he said, and we both left.

 

Daehyun’s point of view

 

I sat in Himchan hyung’s room, watching Minsoa sleep. She was so tiny and fragile looking. I could see all the cuts, and bruises on her skin. She looked like a little angel sleeping. I stood up and walked over to her. I placed my hands on her, and concentrated. A white light radiated out of my hands, and I began to heal all the wounds she had. I soon after connected mentally with her, and I could see everything she was dreaming. I saw everything that she had been through tonight. I saw all he happy memories with her parents, and the things that made her happy. I couldn’t help, but smile. There was something about her, something that made her special. This part of her that I didn’t understand made me feel like I could never leave her.

 

Himchan’s point of view

 

We walked into the apartment; this was the second time I had been there tonight. The smell of blood filled the air, and I looked over to Jongup. His fangs showed, and his eyes were bright lime green. 

“Hyung how could you stand this?”

“I can’t,” I said, and my fangs showed, “Let’s move quickly so we can leave.”

He nodded in agreement, and we went into her room. We grabbed some of her luggage out of her closet, and started piling clothes into them. We grabbed some of her toys that weren’t covered in blood, and took them as well. We left the room, and I saw a few pictures on a table of her and her parents. I took them and placed them gently into the luggage, I knew that she would want them later in life. I went back to her parents’ room, where her mother’s body lay dead, and went to the closet. I opened it where the safe was.

“Jongup, give me a hand with this.” I said.

I held the safe in place, and Jongup ripped the door off. Inside the safe was jewelry, and important papers. I took everything that was in the safe, and shoved it in the luggage.

“Do we have everything?” Jongup asked, he was getting anxious and I could tell he wanted to feed.

“Ne, lets go.” I said, and we headed for the front door when we heard police sirens.

“That doesn’t sound good.” Jongup said, and we both headed to the back where the fire escape was. We climbed out the window and down the escape, quickly making a run with our super human speed towards home.


When we got home, I took the luggage up to my room, and Daehyun sat there on the bed watching over Minsoa. His eyes didn’t leave her when I walked in.

“Back already hyung.” He said.

“Ne, you can go now Daehyun.” I said, and he hesitated to get up.

“I don’t know why but I don’t want to leave her”  he said in his mind, forgetting I could read it.

“Now you know how I feel.” I said to him, and he looked up to me surprised.

He left the room, looking back at Minsoa from the hallway, and then turned to his room walking in it and shutting the door.

I got ready for bed, and climbed in it with her. She slept peacefully, and in her sleep she snuggled up against me, putting her head on my chest. I smiled when she did this and wrapped my arms around her.

“No one will hurt you. I will make sure of that.” I said to her, and went to sleep.