06

Mute

 

 

 

 

I love riding buses. And I actually have a reason for that: besides being really comfortable (except on crowded days, of course), it makes me think. And I, being the thinking-and-silence lover that I am, of course I would love riding them. This time, though, it didn't exactly make me think, but more like revive flashbacks of last night.

 

Another thing I got to know about Ha Jin was part of her past.

After getting into her home, and after I prepared something for her to eat, we settled down on the floor of her room. It was a nice room, I think, I'm not really a room-expert, nor have I been into a lot of other rooms, but it was nice, comfortable, it gave off a cozy environment; it wasn't exactly girly nor pinkish, but it perfectly fit Ha Jin's personality, even though I only know little of it. But yes, back to the main subject, being a nice room, of course it provided us a nice talk. She was feeling really down, I even told her that if she felt like it, she could go to sleep, take a rest, everything but talk/write, because well, it must have been an eventful day for her. But even so, she shook her head and prepared to write.

 

"I (she stopped, and once again played with the pen between her fingers, before getting back to her writing) wasn't born like this. (she gave me a sorrowful smile) I... (she lowered her head, hitting with the pen against the notebook, biting her lip, shaking her head, then writing again) I used to sing, did you know?"

 

She looked at me with a genuine smile that lit up her whole face — I didn't have any other chance but to smile back. She stood up and, with her hands, told me to wait. Meanwhile she fixed her uniform, she rummaged her backpack for a tiny iPod. She untangled the earphones as she sat again, and then handed them to me. I took them, curiously eyeing her. She firmly nodded once. I took them to my ears and didn't have to wait long before closing my eyes and enjoying the sweet voice accompanying an acousting guitar coming out from them. The unfamiliar voice quickly became familiar and it matched Ha Jin so well that I wouldn't have imagined it any different — well, probably because it was her voice. It caught me off guard, to be honest, and I had to actually force my chin to stop trembling because, being the sensitive guy I am, if I kept on admiring how pretty her voice was, and how well she used to sing, I'd end up crying a river. I found myself widely smiling, and although I was a bit afraid it would be interpreted as a creepy smile, I just couldn't help myself.

 

"Whoa," I was in a loss of words, I didn't know what to say to match the ambience. "It's... really good." I opened her eyes to find her quickly writing, smiling all the way.

"Isn't it?" She grinned and I could notice her watery eyes. "I used to record song covers back in the day. I don't have any originals, though, and that's probably one of the things I regret the most..."

I nodded, "I see." I took a glance at the room around us, and my eyes fell on the speakers next to her laptop. "Can I connect the iPod to them?" I asked, in hopes it would lift up the mood.

She frantically nodded.

 

Well, the mood didn't exactly turn into the happiest, instead into a really uncomfortable one. Probably because I started feeling self-conscious about everything, because she didn't let me know if she actually wanted me there or not, if I was making a fool out of myself in the house of a new friend or not. Though she looked like she really needed someone to hold her, I somehow started to regret everything I did — what if she didn't want it/me? I started feeling insecure, and that turned the mood into a very awkward one. 

What the hell was I doing in a girl's room, alone with her, after 10PM? I scratched my head, somehow growing afraid of turning to face her. 

She threw me a ball of paper, making myself realize I had been standing there with my back to her for too long. Yawning, she pointed to where I was sitting before, and I made my way there.

 

"Y-you know you can go to sleep if you want— No," I shook my head as I looked at my hands, embarassed. "You should go to sleep, it's getting late."

She raised one of her eyebrows before laughing and grabbing her pen. "You sound like my mom ㅋㅋㅋ

"What, don't tell me she also stutters when she speaks to you..."

She threw her head to the back with wide open as she hit her leg with her hand, laughing.

"What, why are you laughing?" A smile escaped from my lips, making me feel a bit more relieved with the whole situation.

"You're actually making fun of yourself, how awesome is that?"

"Huh?" I chuckled. "That's not awesome, what are you saying?"

"Yes it is, you're so insecure of yourself that you can laugh at what you do."

"How is that a good thing?"

"It is, it means you're carefree, that's cool."

I chuckled. "Okay, I'll pretend I actually understood what you said..."

She grinned, but her smile soon faded as she lowered her head and held her knees close to her chest. 

 

I then understood I could do nothing about it. She was feeling sad, maybe she wanted to be alone? Maybe I should give her sometime by herself?

With that thought in mind, I stood up.

 

 

 

... And gave up my seat to a smiling old lady, who had been eyeing me in such an intense way I thought she would kill me if I didn't empty it for her. Not my fault, I wasn't exactly paying attention to anything around me, fact that made me forget to check the stops and thus, missing mine. I got out on the next one, in a completely strange place of the city for me. There was barely no one on the streets since it was so early, but I didn't exactly have to ask people for informations when there was a bus stop across the street that would do the exact same way this one I just took did, but inversed. Checking its timetable and seeing how I still had a few minutes for the next one, I made my way to the nearest convenience store to buy some completely unhealthy snacks that would make my father cringe by only looking at its calories and ingredients.

 

Later, as I got home, I faced an angry Mr. Lee, who was with his hands on his hips and tapping his foot, while glaring at me. I bowed. He adjusted his glasses.

 

"Listen, I received your message." I slowly nodded. "I understand you like this girl, but things aren't and shouldn't done like this."

I blushed, "Wait, I hope you're not misunderstanding—we didn't do a single thing, s-she was crying and—" He squinted his eyes and crossed his arms. I took a breath in. "I found her on the bus stop at the hospital after visiting Mother and she was crying and I just took her home and-and—"

"Don't. You're making it as if I'm suspecting you. Kid, I raised you, I know you wouldn't do any bad things, I trust you. It's just that it's 6 in the morning and you're arriving, how ridiculous is that? Lee Byunghun, you're 17 and you're living in a city you barely know, besides being ridiculous, it's also very dangereous."

"Yes." I lowered my head in shame. "I'm sorry, father."

"Did you get the chance to rest?"

I nodded, "I did."

"Go take a bath, then. If you fall asleep now you won't be able to wake up in time for school."

"Yes, father."

 

I dragged my feet along the floor, extremely disappointed with my father's reaction, that made me forget the happiness I had been feeling moments ago. I sighed as I took out my jacket and placed it on the sofa, where I'd be returning to after my quick shower. 

I let myself fall on the sofa as I was holding a plate with some egg rolls and rice, and the TV. I heard my father's steps going down the stairs and, for some reason, I felt myself getting nervous. I tried to pretend nothing was wrong by ruffling my wet light-brown hair. 

 

"Is she alright, at least?"

"She doesn't talk, how do I know if she's alright?" I mumbled, with my eyes focused on the TV, but not really paying attention to it.

"Oh, so she got mad at you?" My father sat next to me and took one of my (few) egg rolls as he changed the channel to a news channel, smirking all time.

"No dad," I grabbed the remote from him and changed to the channel I was watching. I turned to him, and only after gulping down all the food, I spoke. "She's mute." I turned back to the TV and tried to avoid my father's sudden silence and intense staring by focusing on the Korean cartoon Pororo.

"I-I— didn't know that, I'm sorry son—I had no idea, I—"

"It's okay, I never told you, how would you know..."

"Why didn't you?"

"Why would I?"

He took another egg roll, leaving the last one there, alone on the plate. "Because I thought we were friends? Besides being father-son, you know..."

"And we are," I chuckled. "It's just that... It's not up to me to tell you these things."

"Well, you never introduced her to me..."

"Do you want me to introduce you to all my friends? Not that I have many, but I can."

My father sighed. "Let's just... You're saying it in that irony I hate. Stop it. I was being serious."

I glanced and stole my last egg roll from his fingers. "So was I."

 

Silence.

Only Pororo's last credits' song was heard throughout all the house. My father coughed.

 

"I can drive you to school, if you want."

"I'd be thankful."

"Only today, though. Go dress your uniform."

 

 

 

It can be any time of the day, I can be running late or I can be really early (which is the case), my father will always drive in a rush. That's exactly why I always hated when he took me to school in America... I don't know why did I even accept it this time, maybe I forgot for that moment, but as soon as he turned the engine on, I knew I would regret it.

Now it was 7h30AM and I was sitting in an empty classroom, situated in a seemingly empty school building, forcing myself to keep my eyes open and to not fall asleep with the rocking sound of the wind against the trees outside, that were... really... making me... doz— 

 

 

 

"Byunghun," someone was shaking me, and I suddenly got a flashback from last night. "Byunghun."

"I wonder what was he doing last night..."

Another scoffed. "Surely wasn't what you're thinking."

"Why not? Maybe Byunghun here is a womanizer and you have no idea..."

"What, bet 5$ he's a ."

"Hey, pretty sure he could get your girlfriend in less than a minute, just let him look at her and she'd fall head over heels for him."

"What?!"

Some laughed. "He has a fanclub, did you know?"

"Are you kidding me—"

"He dethroned you with his looks hahaha—"

"And everything started with Moon Hye Ri..."

"Who's that?"

"Byunghun—?"

I growled and ruffled my hair, still a bit wet. I rolled my head from one arm to another, before sitting straight and rubbing my eyes.

"Were you listening?"

I nodded, before clearing my throat. "Well you didn't exactly speak in a low voice..." I finally opened my eyes and was shocked to see so many people around me, looking at me. I blinked, confused, and was about to ask what happened, when someone spoke first.

"Oh my, see? He looks so cute!" I blinked again as I turned to the voice. "This is why the girls started a fanclub—" I squinted at the blond fierce-looking boy, who was now weirdly covering his cheeks and squealing like a girl. "He's looking at me! He's so sleepy!"

"Seriously, calm your , Tao."

I slowly shook my head. "What's going on?" Was this guy hitting on me?

 

Tao smiled as he bent over my desk. I discreetly backed away until my back was glued to the chair. The others scoffed, said a few things like "There he goes again...", and walked away.

 

"Well," He giggled and I'm pretty sure I didn't hide my disgusted face. "you were sleeping, and you looked so cute!"

"Tao, you ." Someone shouted from the front of the classroom.

"Who cares, Tao, go away." Myungsoo's voice came from behind me. I turned to see him swinging his backpack on his shoulder as he passed by us, walking in long strides all the way to his seat.

"Why do you all treat me so badly?" Tao pouted as he walked (more like jumped) over to Myungsoo, hugging his arm. Myungsoo shook him off. "And why do you always bring two bottles of banana milk?" His voice suddenly changed from a cute and annoying one to a suspiscious one. Well, at least he forgot about me. "Did you get a girlfriend~?" Tao clinged more onto him.

"Nine-tailed fox."

"Whaaaat~? L, that was offensive." Tao pouted.

 

Seriously, what's with this guy? Who is he, to begin with? He kept on talking with Myungsoo and, besides being completely childish and gay, I noticed his weird Korean accent — I mean, his accent was worst than mine, and mine was really, really bad. Myungsoo gave him a faint smile before dismissing him with a shrug. I had to avoid looking at Tao when he glanced at me, or he would never shut up. I don't know who he is, first time seeing him, but I feel completely threatened by him. Now seriously, have you ever looked at him when he's not smiling? I know I look cold, and so does Myungsoo, but Tao looks completely scary. 

I let out a breath in relief and ruffled my hair when Tao squealed and shouted "Sehunnie~" and ran outside to meet a rainbow-haired boy.

My eyes fell on Myungsoo again, who was now sitting on his seat, his gaze on the tiny bottles in front of him. I saw him sighing. He took out his phone, slid his finger on the display, brought the bottles together and then froze in front of them, taking a picture with the phone. Moments after, as he was typing — probably texting? should stop looking — he slightly pouted, frowned and then put down the mobile phone, sighing. I looked away. It didn't take long for the bell to ring and for our young homeroom teacher to come in, looking as bewildered as ever.

 

 

Later, I realized Shin Ha Jin hadn't come to school that day.

 


 

a wild Tao appears

 

 

 

 

I'm sorry. For taking so long, I mean. Promise won't take long now, considering I'M FREE :D