To Conform (SooKris)

For Her [A ExoYoung drabble series]

 

The light jingle of the bell in the cafe signaled the arrival of a new customer as Sooyoung stepped into the cafe owned by her friend, not surprised to see that it was filled despite the lack of an afternoon crowd on a weekday.

"Jongdae, afternoon! Could I have a hazelnut latte with whipped cream, thanks." Sooyoung gave her order to the younger male before making her way to the waiting area.

"Noona, your order." Tao settled the cup of extra large drink before her.

Sooyoung has gotten used to the special service; and has grown tired of having them refuse her rejection, that she could only smile her gratitude with an exasperated shake of her head.

"Thank you, Tao. Where's your irritating boss?" Sooyoung lightly tip-toed to look over the tall male.

At the mentioned of their boss, a chorus of laughter found its way to the staff present before a chuckling Tao motioned for her to the direction leading to the office.

Sooyoung made sure none of them had their focus on her before placing a huge tip to cover up the excess cost of her drink in the cash box before making her way to the back room.

"Why are they laughing at the mention of--" Sooyoung almost apologized for barging in on the wrong person before the characteristic blond hair stopped her from exiting the room as she did a double take.

"Er... Kris?" When the person simply pursed his lips in a way that was too familiar to her, the laughter she held in finally bubbled to the surface as she let out a peal of laughter.

Minutes later, with the mirth subsiding, Sooyoung collapsed into the chair nearest to her still clutching onto her aching stomach as she once again gave her friend another look. Slapping her hand over , Sooyoung knew the reason behind the reaction of the boys a few minutes ago.

What could have passed off as an overexposure to the sun was hindered by the equally balanced color tone on each surface the sleeveless shirt exposed, leading to one conclusion.

"Bad spray job?" Sooyoung managed between muffled giggles.

"The color wasn't this deep on the tube!" A now deeply tanned Kris shot back, peeved at her reaction. 

Hiding another grin behind her drink, Sooyoung took the pretense of sipping her latte as she composed herself, taking the time to get used to Kris new appearance. It didn't look too bad on him, only that the blond of his hair sticks out even further. They were just too used to the fair-skinned Kris to take in the suddenly tanned one without overreacting.

"It's for you, you know." He blurted as she waited for his explanation.

Sooyoung raised her brows, denial on the tip of her tongue when he cut her off smoothly.

"I overheard you telling Kai that you like black man."

The laughter he expected wasn't the soft chuckle emitted from the girl when she pushed herself off the seat. With her height, she easily met him at eye level as she stopped a few feet before him, reaching out to cup his face with a hand.

"But I also wanted him to know that appearance doesn't matter at all. It's what's inside that matters the most to me, even if I judge from appearance first. And you passed those criteria I've set... better than I thought you would." Stepping away from him, Sooyoung picked up her drink by the table and with a slight salute, left a speechless Kris leaning against his desk.